Disney Movies Online closing Canadian accounts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-01, 03:21 PM   #1
Eldar3333

Default Disney Movies Online closing Canadian accounts

I received this email today:
Quote:
We have made some changes to Disney Movies Online (DMO) terms of use. As part of these changes, we will no longer be supporting accounts created in Canada, effective June 27, 2012.

Rest assured that we will do everything we can to make this process as simple and easy as possible. If you have upgraded or purchased a film on Disney Movies Online, you will be issued a refund in the next 10-12 weeks – no additional action necessary. If you have added complimentary streaming versions of your Disney Combo pack purchases to your DMO Movie library, please call us at 1-888-268-9100. Customer service will assist you in receiving a 'Thank you' gift for being such a valued customer.
Apparently access to other Disney sites is unaffected.

A subsequent message offered us 100 Disney Movie Rewards points or thirty 4x6 prints.

We haven't used this service much, but did find it handy the one time that we were away with family and wanted to watch a movie with them that we owned but didn't have with us--we added streaming for the price of a rental, and was able to watch it then and there, plus have it available to stream thereafter no charge.

I wonder why the change....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 03:50 PM   #2
Disney Fan
Rookie

Default DMO.

Hello,
Just an FYI, I too received thi message via email. As I am a bit of a skeptic, I called the Disney movie club and questioned this email before responding to it. Nobody there could confirm that this was a legit shut down. So in the mean time, I await for June 27, 2012 to arrive. I feel that what was being offered was a bit hokey anyways.
Old 2012-05-09, 12:36 PM   #3
Eldar3333

Default Called them yesterday...

So they're giving us some Disney Reward Points (actually would have been farther ahead with the 30 prints, but oh well) and they're refunding us what we paid to add streaming to one of our movies, so that works out to basically a free rental, which isn't too bad.

And it seems they're not totally abandoning their Canadian customers:

Quote:
We are pleased to let you know that we here at Disney Movies Online are working behind the scenes to launch a product that will support Canada in the future and will offer an enhanced experience with features and functionality that Disney Movies Online does not currently have. Please stay tuned.
Old 2012-05-11, 01:28 AM   #4
knucklez
Rookie

not sure if this is related .. but i am using unblockus DNS service with roku in canada and can access all the american channels - except for Disney... says it doesn't support my region. hmm...