new to VDSL 2: questions about CellPipe 7130 5Vz.A2001CAN - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-01, 02:11 AM   #1
DHR

Default new to VDSL 2: questions about CellPipe 7130 5Vz.A2001CAN

I'm in Toronto. I've signed up for VDSL service from Telnet Communications. The last mile is Bell Canada's, of course.

I paid for and received a CellPipe 7130 5Vz.A2001CAN VDSL 2 modem / router / switch / wireless access point.

Any day now, Bell should phone to arrange the installation. As I understand it, they will need to install a splitter at my demarc and a wire from one side to the location I wish to place the modem.

I paid for the cheapest modem, so it should not have wireless, but it does.

It came with no manual. Is this normal? Is there a manual available?
  • the Lucent-Alcatel web site appears to want you to log in as a customer before it will give you manuals. I don't think they consider me a customer
  • google finds a manual for another model. Oddly, the CellPipe 7130 designation applies to a whole bunch of different units.
  • google warns me that the site that mentions a manual for my model is dangerous

Right now, with my existing ADSL service, I have a home-made gateway that just uses the modem function of the ADSL modem / router / switch. I don't know how much I wish the VDSL 2 modem etc. to do. If I had a manual on the CellPipe unit to study, I could more rationally decide on a division of labour.

Oh, and what is the CellPipe's coax connector labelled "HPNA"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 03:37 AM   #2

That modem is a piece of garbage. The web address is not hidden or anything, if your computer or router is plugged in it should get a DHCP lease from 192.168.2.1. Just type ipconfig /all in Command Prompt to see it. The web address is http://192.168.2.1/. The login/password is admin/admin.

Let it run a few days to see if you have any problems. If you start getting disconnections or reboots you probably have a unit with irreparable firmware. When that happens, write down the firmware version from the web interface and save it so you can cross-reference if required later.

I would link you to another forum where this topic is covered in-depth but the forum is down currently (DSLReports). Basically Bell has promised a fix will come "any minute now" for the last 19 months.

The only solution is to find out what chipset your DSLAM is running, and buy your own modem to match it. The most reliable way to find out what type of DSLAM you are on is to ask a repair/field technician. The two confirmed working 3rd party hardware are ZyXEL P870M-I1-VDSL2 (Ikanos chipset) or ZyXEL P870H-51a v2 (Broadcom chipset)

You will still be forced to pay rent even if you own your own modem, it's required as per the current wholesale contracts and Bell's torturous billing practices.

I am assuming you signed up to VDSL2 for the higher upload. Otherwise there is no reason to put yourself through this pain. Third party cable from start.ca is probably much less expensive and more reliable.
Old 2012-05-01, 04:03 AM   #3

The HPNA port is meant for whole home PVR. These modems came from Bell, so if you had Fibe TV IPTV you could run a cable from the modem into your wall outlet to broadcast signal for other STBs over your home's coaxial network.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:16 PM   #4
DHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000 View Post
That modem is a piece of garbage.
The only choice I had was with or without WiFi. I had to buy one, not rent. I could not chose the brand. But the price was reasonable ($60, if I remember correctly).

Now here's a bit of a mystery. I was told I was buying a Zhone modem, without WiFi. I got a CellPipe, with WiFi. Any opinion on whether I should complain? I haven't seen an invoice yet.

Added later: I just phoned Telnet Communications. The Zhone modem won't work with 25Mbsp up / 7Mbps down service. So the shipped the CellPipe. And I must rent it, they cannot sell it. So 000 was right and my quote from Telnet was wrong.

My understanding is that Bell imposes the brand on the third-party ISPs. The quasi-technical reason is that these modems are the only ones qualified by Bell to work on their system. I've heard that many of the DSLAMs don't conform to the VDSL 2 standard and these modems are bug-compatible. None of what I've just said is known to be true but it seems to match what you said later in the message.

I'm sad if I've been forced to buy a piece of garbage. Even more reason to leave most of the functions to my gateway (PPPoE, routing, NAPT, DHCP, DNS, DNSsec, firewall, VPN, ...). That leaves the actual modem functions in the CellPipe box -- I hope at least that part works.
Quote:
The web address is not hidden or anything, if your computer or router is plugged in it should get a DHCP lease from 192.168.2.1. Just type ipconfig /all in Command Prompt to see it. The web address is http://192.168.2.1/. The login/password is admin/admin.
I'm still awaiting installation, so I cannot yet play. Well, I guess I could play with the inward facing parts but that seems unrewarding.

The obvious parts of the interface should be obvious to me. Thanks for mentioning the default credentials. A good manual sure would be helpful. Even a poor manual would be a start. This is the first device I've bought that came with no documentation -- the only scrap of paper is some kind of label.

Well, something obvious that I don't know: can I use this just as a modem and still configure it through the web interface? My ADSL devices started acting as routers as soon as you talked to them like one. I guess that the trick must be (1) configure through web interface, (2) save configuration (3) power cycle, (4) just use as modem.
Quote:
Let it run a few days to see if you have any problems. ...
Thanks for those hints!
Quote:
I would link you to another forum where this topic is covered in-depth but the forum is down currently (DSLReports).
I had found that via google but the content seems to have gone. I hope that is temporary.
Quote:
You will still be forced to pay rent even if you own your own modem, it's required as per the current wholesale contracts and Bell's torturous billing practices.
This isn't what Telnet Communications sales person told me. I was told I had to buy the modem OR pay an unreasonable rent.
Quote:
I am assuming you signed up to VDSL2 for the higher upload. Otherwise there is no reason to put yourself through this pain. Third party cable from start.ca is probably much less expensive and more reliable.
I get a static IP address and other useful technical capabilities through Telnet Communications that the cable ISPs cannot provide. I do value the upload speed (no, not for unauthorized sharing).

This new broadband connection is to replace my current two: Rogers cable and Telnet Communications ADSL. I sure hope that the VDSL 2 connection is reliable. The current plan is to ditch the two old ones as soon as I've set up the new one to my satisfaction.

Thanks for your very useful replies. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by DHR; 2012-05-01 at 12:53 PM. Reason: rent vs. buy update
Old 2012-05-01, 02:42 PM   #5

"Well, something obvious that I don't know: can I use this just as a modem and still configure it through the web interface? "

The 7130 has PPPoE pass-through in both bridge & router mode so the web interface is accessible in either scenario. It should ship pre-configured with your login but if not the technician that visits should be able to set you up or you can enter it manually. It should only be a matter of entering login credentials on this page: http://192.168.2.1/wan.html

There are some people that report no issues at all, it's really just the luck of the draw...

ISPs have to stock two different versions of modems because the CellPipe isn't backwards compatible with ADSL2+. So the Zhone Telnet has is just for ADSL2+ service. ADSL2+ maxes out at 24/1, so if you want 25/7 they will put people on the VDSL2 platform.