"Top Hat" GH with NARODs for VHF-HI: Major GH Improvement - Page 43 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-30, 06:05 PM   #631
jflarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMikeD View Post
Now I just need to figure out a frame to hold it all!
You can always look at what I did around Chrismas at post 586 http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=586. I won't say it is optimal or perfect, but it still was working perfectly yesterday.

jf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-06, 09:08 PM   #632
300ohm
Veteran

Nikiml,

Something Ive been meaning to ask but always forgot.

On your GH optimizations, did you ever take into consideration the X axis position of the NAROD ? IE, like having the NAROD in front of or in back of the stubs ?

Ive only done some small testing of that.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:49 PM   #633
nikiml

I have not tried the move the stubs at all. They have always been fixed in the plane of the active element. I have only played with the tilt.
The only problem of moving the stubs I can think of is that if you move them in the front it may limit the tilt backwards and vice versa.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:38 PM   #634
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
The only problem of moving the stubs I can think of is that if you move them in the front it may limit the tilt backwards and vice versa.
My experiments were with the straight NARODs. But yeah, with top hat style NARODs, the tilt is limited.
Old 2012-05-08, 09:05 AM   #635
lenl

Default Another Dumb? Question

Now that the weather is better I have been thinking about some modifications to my GH6.

One thing that I question is why not take the top hat narod off my GH6 and leave the GH6 without the tophat and top hat refectors and dedicate my GH6to UHF reception. Without the tophat UHF reception would be better yes?

Now with the tophat off would it make sense to use the tophat and tophat reflectors for a dedicated separate VHF antenna and then later combine the separate UHF signal from the GH6 and the separate VHF signal from the tophat antenna?

Maybe I am being fooled by the fact that without the tophat my GH6 really doesn't pick up VHF signals for me. But with the tophat it does so the tophat design is great at picking up VHF. If so am I wrong to think that using the tophat as a separate VHF antenna it would be even better?
Old 2012-05-08, 12:45 PM   #636
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
Without the tophat UHF reception would be better yes?
Yes, but only a bit better on some channels. Which GH6 model do you have ?

Quote:
If so am I wrong to think that using the tophat as a separate VHF antenna it would be even better?
The tophat NAROD and NAROD reflectors are parasitic antenna elements. As such, there is no place to connect the balun to.

Its possible to use the 2 tophats to form a vhf-hi folded dipole, but the gain from a folded dipole with 1 reflector and 1 director is less than the vhf-hi gain on the GH6 with NARODs.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:11 PM   #637
lenl

Default 300ohm

Thanks for the feedback

"The tophat NAROD and NAROD reflectors are parasitic antenna elements. As such, there is no place to connect the balun to. "

Yes I understand the way they are used with the GH6 they are parasitic. I will send you a picture with a design I thought of.... with them not being used parasitically. Not sure if it will work but I think worth a try.
Old 2012-05-16, 08:34 PM   #638
zentinker
Rookie

nikiml, it's been awhile since I visited here and have checked out your site many times.
Thanks for all the work.
A quick question to make sure I understand. Am I correct that the difference between gains of the GH6n3 non modular and the 6HGen1 with mods (spacings changed) is about
.5db on average?
Old 2012-05-17, 10:29 AM   #639
nikiml

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentinker View Post
Am I correct that the difference between gains of the GH6n3 non modular and the GH6gen1 with mods (spacings changed) is about .5db on average?
.5dB Average difference seems close enough approximation.
On the other hand the differences on individual channels can be as big as 1.5dB.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:55 AM   #640
zentinker
Rookie

Thanks, nikiml, just got my GH6n3 with the aforementioned mods up today and all my channels seem to be coming in stronger. I am relying on my LG TV for the signal strength and the cooler weather today could be a small factor so I'm waiting till tomorrow when it heats up again to make sure. Plus I realized that I need to change the spacing of the NAROD reflectors to enhance channel 13 as I no longer need to pull in channel 7. I'll try to post pics when I'm done. Next up, I'm considering building the non modular version just for fun but this one works great.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:35 PM   #641
zentinker
Rookie

nikiml, realized today that I'd missed more than I thought. Reading back thru from post #421 that I need to change spacing between active element and narods need to be 10mm since I too had used 6ga. and 3/8 reflectors. Also, now only have vhf high channels 9& 10 and not 13. Considering the build I used, should I reduce the spacing between narod reflectors and narods and do I need to also change the lengths of narod reflectors
to maximize my vhf gain for 9 & 10. Didn't find this mentioned after reading back thru almost 300 posts. Thanks again to you, 300ohm and many others for all the modeling work.
Old 2012-05-21, 11:33 PM   #642
jatojay
Rookie

first time poster, long time lurker. I'm hoping I can get some input on which version of the GH I should go for. I had built a GH variant that I found on some random web site. Using 14 gauge wire pulled from spare romex I had on hand and a bit of scrap wood I get a few channels surprisingly well!

I'm about to tackle a real build, and have been reading reading reading, and think I will follow one of nikiml's models. I was hoping to get some input on what might be best suited for my location. Here is my tvfool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9069e706bb9

With my make shift antenna in the attic pointed almost due north I get 9,11,33,34 very well. But nothing else comes in unless I change the direction of the antenna, at which point all but 34 get very weak.

In addition to the channels I already get, I'd love to be able to pick up 30,31,42. Will a GH10N do it? Is that overkill?

Thanks much for any input on how much antenna I will need :-D

Also, is it advisable to keep questions and builds within an existing thread? Or should I start a new thread when my build starts to come together?
Old 2012-05-22, 12:27 AM   #643
nikiml

may be gh10n is good, but I think you should try putting your current antenna on the roof pointing south first. Because it seems to me 9,11,33 and 34 should come regardless which way you point the antenna.
Old 2012-07-05, 05:58 AM   #644
electriczipper
Rookie

Smile The GH best suited for all channels in general?

Wow look at all the pages! Would it be too much to ask for guidance to the plans of the GH that is best suited for all available channels in general? I'll be looking for them in the meantime.
Thank you,
ez
Old 2012-07-05, 07:01 AM   #645
300ohm
Veteran

Keep in mind, best for you is usually different than best for someone else. Post your TVFool.