Cable madness (Digital, Signal) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-30, 02:41 PM   #1
baresi
Rookie

Default Cable madness (Digital, Signal)

As you all know Rogers recently made or forced everyone to switch and use digital tuner and/or box. I was happy with my old regular plan but forced means forced I guess.

I have 3 TVs in the house. I got two small Cisco digital tuners and one box (1840) which Rogers offered to me for being a long time customer. First obvious thing was audio output was lower on both box and tuner, even the tech acknowledged that as it was obvious right after the install but that's not a big deal really.

Now my problems starts...

Not immediately but a week or so later I started getting pixelation, I call them up and they say tech will visit to check. He came I told him the pixelation problem didn't start right after but later. He did mention that between the street box and demarc there is some signal loss but that would require other work order and to see how interior fix goes. He went ahead and installed a new splitter/amp and even changed a couple of connectors (end of cables). We checked the diagnostic screen, the numbers looked nice and he left.

Fast forward another 2 weeks, the 1840 box keeps rebooting itself, at first I thought some crummy software update not going through. The diagnostic screen numbers seemed fine. I call them again. Tech support suggests I go to a store and swap the box. I go in they give me 940 and I come home.

Now some channels (86, 84, etc.) don't work - with the not available message like in the FAQ here - and the levels are off for those channels and to top it off for the first time one of the Cisco tuners was showing service not available, for a few minutes.

I called them again but I can't keep doing this....thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-30, 03:22 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sounds like you still have some sort of signal issue. Whether it's inside the home or the (as yet unfixed?) issue outside your home. This was confirmed by the "off signals" that you mentioned. You'll have to call them regarding the "outside" issue to see when it'll be fixed and if they complete that and you still have it, you'll have to call them again regarding "inside".

Unfortunately, a poor signal will give these sorts of issues with a digital system while analogue would simply show a poor picture.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:03 PM   #3
baresi
Rookie

Thanks, I have called again. Tech is coming.

Just disappointed, have a bit too much on my plate to have to deal with tv (normally something relatively simple and reliable) issues.
Old 2012-05-30, 10:51 PM   #4
menace

I have the same problem started about 2 weeks ago. I called Rogers to send a tech to fix the problem twice in 2 weeks. Rogers tech put a new splitter/amp on two of my 3 cable outlets. Problem solved.
Old 2012-05-31, 08:28 AM   #5
Analogue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baresi View Post
First obvious thing was audio output was lower on both box and tuner, ...
Check your remote control instruction sheet for the DTA50 under the heading "Volume Lock". The audio output level from the DTA50 is controlled independently of the television. Set the volume on the box to the maximum and leave it there.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:49 AM   #6
Paolo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
Check your remote control instruction sheet for the DTA50 under the heading "Volume Lock". The audio output level from the DTA50 is controlled independently of the television. Set the volume on the box to the maximum and leave it there.
I was gonna suggest the same thing!