looking to upgrade from Internet Essential - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2012-04-29, 06:48 PM   #1
tvlurker
Veteran

Default looking to upgrade from Internet Essential

I'm currently paying full price for Internet Essential (2 MB) on a grandfathered plan that has a higer cap than currently offered (20 GB, I think, so it's notihng special, but better than thr 2GB currently offered).

My neighbourhood has recently upgraded speedwise, and I know my 2Wire was sync above 12 MB. (I'm about 400m from the remote)

I'd like to know my options before I phone Bell.
I'd like:

1. a better modem than the 2wire, at least one that Bell allows the user to see the firewall logs and statistics

2. higher speeds - I'm thinking either 6 or 12 MB, and a cap over 20 GB

3. pay less that the $44 or so I'm currently paying every month?

What can I get? Pricewise, I'd rather lock into a low rate indefinitely as opposed to getting something like 50% off for only 6 months, and I'd prefer to stay away from contracts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-29, 07:18 PM   #2
Ronioo

As far as I know Bell doesn't make you sign a contract for internet your free to cancel at anytime. I have the 6Mb down/1Mb upload and I am paying just over $40 (tax Included) a month for the service

As far as the cap I called to complain that the 25GB cap they offered was to low a few months after I had the service. They offered to change my data cap to 65GB a month at no charge and throw in another 40GB per month for 1 year. (they told me I would need to call again in a year if I wanted to keep the 40GB) So currently my cap is 105GB
Old 2012-04-30, 08:42 AM   #3
cambo

Are you bent on sticking with Bell?

If not, there are lots of other whole-sale providers who can give you what you're looking for, for a better rate.

For an example, Primus.

http://primus.ca/en/residential/inte...SL-Ontario.htm

Primus can give you 7mb down, 1 up with unlimited usage for $38.

There are lots of others offering similar packages, such as Teksavvy, Distributel and a host of others. They also have dedicated Canadian support.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:55 AM   #4
ScaryBob
Veteran

Teksavvy: 6Mb 75GB cap $29.99, 300GB cap $34.99; 12Mb 75GB cap $39.99, 300GB cap $41.99; 16Mb 75GB cap $42.99, 300GB cap $45.99. Activation $95 + modem $85.
Old 2012-04-30, 12:09 PM   #5
tvlurker
Veteran

Thanks for the competitive info.
I'm leaning towards staying with Bell because:
1. one of the familes' five email addresses may be hard to change
2. I'd like to keep a landline (as opposed to VOIP), and I find 3rd party resellers of Bell services aren't necessariy cheaper
3. When the sympatico direct forums work over at that "other site" (currently, they're down for a few weeks due to an unexpected hardware failure due to a power outage), I'm able to get direct, knowledgeable support, even if I had to wait a day or two for a reply sometimes.

Nonetheless, I'm open to seeing what else is out there. I'm also about to cancel my Rogers cable (we hardly ever watch TV, and OTA and web streaming will be enough as soon as I get my PBS reception more reliable), so I'll probably do that first just to see what Rogers' has to offer me to stay so I can use that in negociating with Bell.
Old 2012-05-25, 01:30 AM   #6
rabbitears
Rookie

Hello tvlurker,

I am also in Ottawa (Alta Vista area) and am also looking to upgrade from my Essential Plus service to a Fibe offering. My reasons for sticking with Bell are pretty similar to what you have outlined. I was wondering if you have made the switch and what your experience has been. I currently have a new 2wire modem (my old 2wire gave up the ghost in mid-April) and wondering if they are giving Fibe customers new(er) modems) or making them use the same 2wire modems.

Any thoughts and impressions on your upgrade would be most helpful and appreciated.
Old 2012-05-25, 01:53 AM   #7
tvlurker
Veteran

I signed up for 15/10. I got the $99 modem fee waived, and apparently the activation fee does not apply to existing customers. I also got the monthly fee dropped by 10 bucks per month.

The trick to any of this is to select "cancel" when phoning in, and then just say you think you're paying too much and are looking for a deal.
It's possible that how good a deal you get may depend on how long you've been a Bell customer, too. I've been with Bell over 30 years, and Bell internet for over 11. (And I might have been able to bargain for more, but $40/month for a year seemed reasonable.)

If you go for anything above the 5/1 plan, a tech will visit to install a pots splitter where the phone line enters the house, and swap out your 2wire for a Sagemcom "Connection Hub", since to get anything better than 1 Mbps up you need a VDSL2 modem, not an ADSL modem like the 2wire.
Years ago, I had already wired up a home run of cat5 cable to where my 2wire modem was, so the tech just replaced my homemade pots splitter with a real one. The pots splitter basically puts the modem on an unfiltered port, and the rest of the house on a filtered port. If you don't have a home run (dedicated phone line) to your modem location, I imagine the tech will install one for you. (Leaving a wireless modem in the basement is not the best location for good wireless coverage.)

Of course, if you are intending to eventually get Fibe TV, you might want the modem to be near some cable wiring, although when the time comes to instsall Fibe TV, the modem could probably be moved if necessary.

Like you, I was also on my second 2wire modem. (I later figured out that the modem was fine, but the power supply had died.)

When I test my speed with Bell's speedtest, I occasionally get 15 down/10.5 up, but mostly I'm testing out at 9.5 up and down. The speed is still good, but I don't know why the tests are wonky.

The Bell version of the Sagemcom firmware still seems to be stripped down, but not as much as the v6 version of the 2wire firmware, which doesn't tell you much of use at all.
At least the Sagemcom gives a few statistics and logs. (But still not incredibly useful, and nothing so far comparable to the 2wire version5 J45 page, if you're technically included like me.)

So far I'm happy.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:12 PM   #8
rabbitears
Rookie

Hi tvlurker,

Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply. I was curious to know if the Bell Fibe5/1 service was a new name for ADSL (or ADSL2+) or if it was VDSL, but if Fibe5/1 is using the same modem, it is probably ADSL with another name.

Unfortunately, I have not been in Bell territory as long as you (only 3 years, but the entire time with Bell), so I am not sure if I can get the same deal. I will give it a try though via the cancel route. Did you have to wait long for the technician to come by from the time that you signed up (or your contract ended)?

Is the Sagemcom Connection Hub a wireless N or a wireless G device? Any chance that it has Gigabit Ethernet? (BTW, I am on my 3rd 2wire modem in three years... the first one was replaced after the first month or so. The latest one seems to be pretty stable for the moment.)

Thanks for the info on the setup. So the tech installs the pots splitter right after the demarcation point? Our current modem is installed in an office and is not sharing the line with a phone, so it should be easy to isolate the line for the modem from the remainder of the lines in the house. We are not really thinking about FibeTV at the moment as OTA works fine for us.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it all works out.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:05 PM   #9
tvlurker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitears View Post
Hi tvlurker,

Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply. I was curious to know if the Bell Fibe5/1 service was a new name for ADSL (or ADSL2+) or if it was VDSL, but if Fibe5/1 is using the same modem, it is probably ADSL with another name.
5/1 is ADSL and can use the exisitng 2wire modem
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have not been in Bell territory as long as you (only 3 years, but the entire time with Bell), so I am not sure if I can get the same deal.
I'm not really sure what the threshold for "Bell customer of long-standing" is. Just give it a try.
Quote:
I will give it a try though via the cancel route. Did you have to wait long for the technician to come by from the time that you signed up (or your contract ended)?
I think I ordered on Wednesday morning and the tech came Friday morning.
Quote:
Is the Sagemcom Connection Hub a wireless N or a wireless G device?
N
Quote:
Any chance that it has Gigabit Ethernet?
Yes, there are 4 GigE ports on it.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the setup. So the tech installs the pots splitter right after the demarcation point?
I imagine so. I don't have a demarc, so he installed it in the entry.
Quote:
Our current modem is installed in an office and is not sharing the line with a phone, so it should be easy to isolate the line for the modem from the remainder of the lines in the house.
That depends on how old your house is. Older houses (like mine, built in 1980) were wired in a daisy chain fashion, while newer ones are star-connected, with each jack having a dedicated wire back to the entry point.
If your office modem is not star-connected, I believe the tech will run a new line for you.
Old 2012-06-03, 10:19 AM   #10
rabbitears
Rookie

Hi tvlurker,

Thanks very much for your assistance. I ended up gettng the same deal as you.

I called in to cancel and my first attempt was hampered by a technical glitch on Bell's end (they couldn't access my account to change things). On my second attempt the following day, I talked to somebody in "Household Loyalty" (they also have an Internet Loyalty and Home Phone loyalty and presumably TV loyalty departments), who offered me Fibe 5/1 and Fibe 15/10 at discounted prices as you had described (waiving the modem rental/purchase fee, activation fee and lowering the monthly price). I went with the Fibe 15/10 at $39.99/month in the Bell bundle. As a "bonus" the lady also lowered my landline by $5/month without me asking. So in the end, I am going to be paying about the same as I was before, but hopefully the internet connection will be much much faster and more reliable.

The tech will be by on Thurs. morning to do the installation, so I will find out then what the status of phone line configuration is (i.e. star or daisy-chained). Could it be that the line is a mixed configuration (i.e. star with some daisy chaining?) The house was built in 1965, but I have a funny feeling from the wiring, that it is a more recent installation (but I could be wrong).

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 2012-06-12, 09:54 PM   #11
rabbitears
Rookie

Hi again

Just wanted to report back that I am quite pleased with the Bell installation and the new Fibe 15/10 service.

Last Thurs. morning the technician came by. He even called just before showing up. He had to isolate the line and install a POTS splitter as my lines are too old (or of such bad quality) to have only normal filters installed. After he installed the modem, the only issue was the speed, it was only reaching about 9.8 Mbps upload and 8.7 Mbps down. However, later that evening, I checked the speed on the bell.ca/speedcheckup website and saw that I was getting 15 Mbps up and 10 Mbps down on a consistent basis (which still holds true today).

The Sagemcom Connect Hub modem works pretty well and provides a wireless N connection. The only small complaint is since the modem is new, it has been giving off a smell since it was plugged in. Not sure if this is the plastic or the circuit board. Hopefully it will go away soon enough.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:13 PM   #12
DjLevel95
Rookie

Smile Bell Fibe Internet & TV In Toronto

As Some of Who Live In Toronto We Now Have Bell Fibe Internet The NEW Dedicated Package's In Some Areas of Toronto Right Now And I'm One of The 25/10 DL & Up Load And 175 DL & 175 Up The 175 Is $129.00 From Bell Fibe Internet I Have A DRY LOOP And A Separate Home Phone Line /Split For The /Phone/&/TV /ONLY
And The Lines are Fine Here If The Toronto Customers Remember Bell Sent you's A Rebate Cheque Back Cause They Didn't Need All The Money To Lay The Lines They Where Already installed.

When The rest Of The Areas In Toronto Will be Ready You Will Be Getting A New Modem To Handle The "NEW BELL FIBE" 175 DL & UP LOAD SPEED.
Cause Right Now This Connection HUB Is Not Capible To Handle that Speed They Might Also Be Installing RJ-45 Side By Side Jack's With RJ-11 On The Other Side
The RJ-11 Is For Your Bell Home /Phone/Fibe/Internet/FibeTV
The RJ-45's Are The Fiber To Home Connection Which Is The Same On The Connection Hub Modem,
I Use That Right Now With The CISCO EA4500 & AE3000 Wireless Adaptor And Get The FULL 25/10 From Bell Now Dedicated to Us It's Not Up To Any More So Most Bell Rep's Need To Be Explaining this To The Customers As The Web Site Now Say's .It was Avalible May 6th In Some Areas But The 25/10 Fibe INTERNET ONLY With Out The TV Hooked UP To Let's Not Confuse The Too OK .

OIV-16 PLUS Is Still Avalibile To Customers This Means You Can Have The Internernet /Pnone And /TV On The Same Line If you wan't To Go That Router you CAn Also Separate The Lines And Get A DRY LOOP And Just Have the Internet Only Like I do On One Line

And FIBE/TV/PHONE on The Other

Yes you Can Do This- You Tell Fibe TV you Do Not Wan't the Internet Just The TV

Cause Bell Fibe TV Is Not Gonna Say To A 80 year Old Person Who Doesn't Own A Computer You Have To Take The Internet Package In Order To Get The TV Well That Options was taken Out .

Cause I have Both Separate Intaernet From Bell Fibe On Dry Loop Phone TV On the Second Line With NO INTERNET.

So I Now Hope This Confussion Clear's Thing's Up Between The 2 Systems Offered By Bell. The Bell Billing Department In Both Inter And TV Billing Can Now Tell You The Same Thing Both Departments Where Trained To Put You To The Right Departmernt Make Sure you Specify What Service In Detail To Bell What You Wan't So That Bell Can Help you get the Service you wan't.

Bell Will Send Notices When And Where Your Area Will Be Hooked Up On The Grid Once The Billing Office Has This They Will Give you More Info But For Now Most Of This Is On The Bell Web Site Before you Log Into Your Bell Accounts.

Last edited by DjLevel95; 2012-06-27 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Typos lol