Rogers...Usage Meter - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2012-04-27, 01:04 PM   #31

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If most days are well under 100 MB, that would indicate normal browsing since the browser sends out information as well as receiving it. On the higher days are you sending any e-mails with attachments, uploading anything like pictures, etc?

My typical upload when only browsing is usually 20-50. On browsing-only days, my usage down is usually about 50-200 MB. It only goes above that when I update software or download a new map for my GPS. On "zero" days, the day just doesn't show up - same as yours.
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-27, 01:18 PM   #32
hugh
Member #1

Rogers usage meter is useless. I tried to sign on for seven weeks and it never worked. When I told customer service and billing, they said, go online, download chat software then chat with them blah blah blah. I asked "aren't you customer service", they said yes but not for the usage meter, that was a different department. <sigh>

Anyway, anecdotal evidence and admissions by CSR's suggests that Rogers meters are faulty. IMO, the proof of that is Rogers refusal to have their "meters" certified by an independent measuring organization hence why I recommend everyone invest in a Router that measures your internet bandwidth usage.

The government forces Hydro companies, gas companies etc to use meters that are independently verified and verified by measurement Canada yet people can be forced to pay hundreds of dollars of overages with Rogers without any approved measuring device.
Old 2012-04-27, 01:23 PM   #33

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

It may not work properly for some because of some glitch, however, it works perfectly for me and I'm sure most other people. If it didn't work properly, forums would be full of people complaining. There are occasional complaints, but oddly enough once those people look into their actual usage it's (almost always) exactly what the Rogers meter says.

I know that there have been issues with Bell not reading properly, however, not with Rogers. I applaud your campaign for (official) independent measurement, but the independent measurements from people with appropriate routers/software bear out the Rogers measurements, so I'm not exactly sure what "official" measurement would gain outside of increased governmental costs.

Anyone who downloads a lot should be savvy enough to check their usage.
Old 2012-04-28, 03:28 PM   #34
ALSto

^^^ Same here. Matches my router very closely. I have had no issues with the counters and Roger's high usuage alert has notified me as I requested when I near the limits.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:14 PM   #35
MichelR

The high usage alert annoyed me, so I turned it off (I check my usage every day). Beside, the most I've ever used is 100Gb and my limit is 120Gb. I'm not even sure I'll get to 80 this month - been reading more and streaming less.
MichelR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-30, 08:55 AM   #36
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
It may not work properly for some because of some glitch, however, it works perfectly for me and I'm sure most other people.
I'm not sure how can you suggest a meter that is almost a day behind be considered accurate?

If you were pumping gas and the pump only updated every minute, would you be happy? If the pump, were down for weeks at a time and the gas station made you go through a "chat" session to fix, would you be happy?

If Rogers is going to charge by the Gibibyte therefore their meters must be 99.9999% accurate and in real-time. Canadian consumers demand this for any product they buy by weight or volume. Why should the volume of internet usage be any different?

I was unable to test the veracity of Rogers measurements because I was never able to get an outdated, let alone real-time reading from them.

The cost of government regulation does not have to to be high. The government simply needs proof from modem manufacturers that the usage meters in the modem were tested, found accurate and were tamper proof.

If Rogers sold a Modem with a certified meter then they would likely save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year maintaining and servicing customer inquiries and complaints.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:05 AM   #37
whitbyterry

I completely agree. I would really like to see some accurate measurement at the modem level.

My router has SNMP monitoring so you can track usage but it tracks all usage, even internal and such (I assume anyway). My SNMP log shows I've used 106GB in the last 3 weeks of my monthly service. I have one week to go.

Rogers shows me as having using 55GB.

I was only starting to try to track my own home usage because Rogers had me over my limit in February (shortest month!) and dangerously close to the limit for March. Now that I'm monitoring myself, my usage seems lower. But, to my knowledge, no one in the house is doing anything significantly different than they did before.
whitbyterry is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-30, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
If you were pumping gas and the pump only updated every minute, would you be happy?
I usually fill my car and pay with a credit card. So as long as I paid what I filled, I couldn't care less really, however, the analogy doesn't apply because the gas pump has always been real-time. The Rogers meter has not.

When you signed on with Rogers you knew they only tracked to the last day. You cannot blame them for keeping their system. If you (now) want a real time system, this would likely cost more and you again are asking for something that will increase our prices (like your governmental oversight). If the "one day behind" system is not good enough, please track your own.

There are several separate issues here. Firstly, does the amount that Rogers bills reflect usage - the answer is yes. Secondly do they provide real-time monitoring - no, only daily - if you want more - please monitor yourself. You can't tell me that anyone looked at their hydro meter to see if they were going to go over the 600/1000 kWh threshold where the hydro would cost them more.

If you constantly have concerns about "going over" your cap, subscribe to the next level or purchase "Cap insurance". You must find the internet very useful to use it so much and you should subscribe to a service that meets your needs, not worry each month whether you can watch a movie or not.

Hugh, you've always been an advocate of "user pay". I don't wish my bills or taxes going up because you want a special service.

Quote:
I completely agree. I would really like to see some accurate measurement at the modem level.
If the current daily Rogers monitoring is not adequate for your needs, get yourself some appropriate tracking software/hardware. I believe it is available to track "inside" and "outside" usage.
Old 2012-08-28, 08:42 PM   #39
zforgetaboutit

Default Unhappy with monthly usage claims (GBytes Cap)

What we really need is a small box that sits between the modem and the cable outlet(s), that counts the number of bytes sent/received. This box could be queried for the metrics.

I have DU Meter on one of our 2 PCs (the one which by far uses the internet the most), have no kids, 1 wife.

My wifi router has a non-trivial password but could be trickier I suppose.

I have 2 cellphones which sometimes use wifi without me being acutely aware of it.

Wife & I use the net but just for email and the odd chat or video, or VPN to the Office. Big deal.

I have a news reader that maintains it's own metrics.

My TV is sometimes used for YouTube, but rarely.

I have a PS3 which downloads a few demos (at most per month).

Still, every month, I find Rogers claiming I've used 40-50% (95 GB cap) more bandwidth than I can easily account for. I feel helpless, but have to trust Rogers to make accurate measurements.

E.G. For this month so far DU meter says 22 GB, and I acknowledge the other known sources add to this. Rogers says 36 GB.

Perhaps a fortune awaits somebody who could economically engineer such a device. It doesn't seem that sophisticated. I'd buy one.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-28 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, please read earlier posts, especially on this page.
zforgetaboutit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-08-28, 08:46 PM   #40
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
What we really need is a small box that sits between the modem and the cable outlet(s), that counts the number of bytes sent/received.
We have it now. My two Netgear Routers both have traffic meters which tell me the bandwidth used.

edit: I see this thread has been moved into this one.

See
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/02/ro...nternet-usage/ for more info
Old 2012-08-28, 08:49 PM   #41
zforgetaboutit

That's great. Do they approximately agree with what your ISP claims?
Old 2012-08-28, 08:52 PM   #42
hugh
Member #1

Don't know but there is no reason why it shouldn't be very close. My Primus connection is unlimited so I never check. With Rogers, their usage never worked for me in six months so I couldn't verify. I quit Rogers a few months ago and just resigned with TekSavvy so I might check later this month.
Old 2012-08-28, 08:54 PM   #43
HDTV101
Veteran

zforgetaboutit,

It's possible someone is stealing your WiFi.

If you're using WEP mode for security, on your WiFi, then yes you've been hacked. It takes about all but 3 minutes for the neighbors kid to hack you if you're using WEP.

To be safe use a long password made up of letters and numbers... and to make life easy, use something that easy to remember like:

IloveU2evenB4foxyL@@K!

Set your encryption mode to WPA2 with AES (not Tkip) for maximum security.
HDTV101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-08-28, 08:54 PM   #44
Pinza
Veteran

For what it is worth I run 2 Mac Book Pro's in my House, they connect wirelessly to my Rogers Rocket Hub. I have used no other devices on the Internet for the last 6 weeks, all my wired Windows PC's are stored away.

On the MBP's I run a program called Surplus Meter.

My Month with Rogers ends on the 27th. Adding the usage on BOTH machines I get 18Gb, looking at the Rogers Usage Meter, they show 17.3Gb.

I am happy that it is so close.

EDIT:

Hey HDTV101 how did you guess my password.....lol
Pinza is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-08-28, 09:15 PM   #45
zforgetaboutit

Thanks for the suggested settings. I had been using WPA-Personal, WPA/WPA2 and TKIP+AES.

I just changed it to WPA-Personal, WPA2, and AES. My WiFi devices seem to have silently adjusted to this.

Tags
caps usage measurement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.