FibreOp Wiring Questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2012-04-29, 11:54 PM   #1
Commander_Kang

Default FibreOp Wiring Questions

Gang,

Just wondering exactly what the wiring scheme will be after I have FibreOp installed in a few weeks. I currently have Aliant High Speed Ultra DSL Internet and Bell Satellite TV. Right now, my Internet is set up so that a dedicated run of Cat 5e travels from the phone junction box near my electrical panel in the attached garage, to the router which is located on the second floor of the house in my office. All phone lines in the home are wired using Cat 5e, and presently all TV's are set up in a home run configuration to the electrical panel using RG6 (satellite) cable.

Bell Aliant will be installing the PVR plus 2 additional set top boxes. I assume that the ONT will be installed near my electrical panel in my garage. My questions concern the wiring from the ONT to the router / to the STB's. Does each STB require a dedicated run of Cat 5e from the router to the STB? Or do the slave (non-PVR) units require a run of Cat 5e from the PVR to each non-PVR box?

I'm sure these questions sound dumb to those who already have the service installed. I just want to know what I'm in for, and if necessary, I might run the cable myself to ensure a tidy installation. I'm also strongly leaning toward picking up an Asus RT-N56U, as from what I have read it greatly improves the TV user experience.

Any clarification on the setup would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-30, 07:20 AM   #2
file

TV STBs (PVR and non-PVR) require a run from the router. Since RG6 is already run to each it is possible the installer would use that instead of ethernet.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:22 AM   #3
Tridus

My ONT is outside, on the side of the house. A cable from that comes inside and connects to the ActionTec.

In my case that was very unconveniently located in the basement, so the installer ran Cat5e from there across the house and up a floor, which plugs into a Netgear router, and the wired computers/xbox/ps3 connect to that. The house was already wired for cable when we moved in, and for TV they simply reused that wiring (which was convenient).
Old 2012-05-02, 03:29 PM   #4
rfin16

Are you able to split the CAT 5 so it can serve two computers? The modem for Fibreop is in the basement so would have to run an additional cable through the house to get another wired connection.

Thank you for letting me know.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:49 PM   #5
Tridus

You can't "split" Cat5 directly, but you can plug the one that goes up there into a hub/switch/router (with the DHCP server turned off so it acts like a switch) and then plug your two computers into that.

That's how mine is set up actually. I have one Cat5e cable going from the Aliant router up a floor, and that goes into my Netgear 3700. Then my two desktop PCs and the Xbox 360 all plug into the Netgear. There's only one cable going to the Actiontec that way and things are happy.

If you don't want to use a second switch, then yes you'd have to run a second cable to the Actiontec for an additional computer.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:49 PM   #6
Commander_Kang

Gang,

I tried to run my own Cat5e today but it was such a PITA, I had to quit. Coping with all that blown-in insulation in the attic was a nightmare!

So now I am faced with a bit of a dilemma. It is no problem to get a couple runs of Cat5e to two of my TV's, however, the one in the MBR is a different story. Since RG6 is already in place for all three TV's, will the installer simply use this for the TV signal? Can you mix and match (2 tv's on Cat5e, 1 on RG6)? Is the Asus RT-N56U compatible with setups where RG6 is used to feed the tv's?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kang
Old 2012-05-07, 04:53 PM   #7
Danster

My setup is as follows: From the ASUS to 1st PVR and from that PVR, RG6 to the other 2 PVRS.
Old 2012-05-07, 09:58 PM   #8
Commander_Kang

Quote:
My setup is as follows: From the ASUS to 1st PVR and from that PVR, RG6 to the other 2 PVRS.
This seems to contradict what File stated earlier, regarding each STB requiring a run from the router. Obviously, you know your own setup. This is probably good news for me.

Are there any disadvantages to using coax as opposed to Cat5e?

Kang
Old 2012-05-08, 08:22 AM   #9
file

If you are doing ethernet then you need separate runs from something (a switch). If you are using coaxial from the Actiontec then that goes to a splitter, which then goes to each STB. Same goes for the Trendnet coax converter.

The STB may act in a switch configuration as Danster indicates allowing it to perform the ethernet <-> coax conversion but I personally do not support or recommend it.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:46 AM   #10
Commander_Kang

Quote:
The STB may act in a switch configuration as Danster indicates allowing it to perform the ethernet <-> coax conversion but I personally do not support or recommend it.
May I ask why you would not support or recommend it? I would like to use the Asus router and his configuration seems like it would work best for me.

Thanks.

Kang

Last edited by Commander_Kang; 2012-05-08 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Hit submit prematurely.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:56 AM   #11
file

I have read forum posts from other users on other TV providers using the same set top boxes and they have expressed many issues with doing so, including overheating the Motorola STB.
Old 2012-05-08, 04:55 PM   #12
Danster

That's how they installed my setup. I guess I'm happy I'm not paying for the box should it go Pouf! in the middle of the night.
Old 2012-05-08, 06:23 PM   #13
Commander_Kang

Quote:
That's how they installed my setup. I guess I'm happy I'm not paying for the box should it go Pouf! in the middle of the night.
I will see what they recommend for an install, but my house is less than 2 years old, so I don't foresee running ethernet cable around baseboards, etc. Like you said, if it's installed by their technician then it should be covered if any issues crop up.

Thanks.

Kang
Old 2012-05-11, 01:45 PM   #14
Commander_Kang

In the middle of my install right now, so prompt feedback would be HUGELY appreciated. I am able to get Cat5e from the actiontec to 2 of my STB's, including the PVR. The other one will be running on Coax from the actiontec. The installer has supplied me with a Corinex AV256 CableLAN box. Any idea how this should figure into the install of the RT-N56U? Which cables should be connected to which ports? Thanks.

Kang
Old 2012-05-11, 01:49 PM   #15
file

The Corinex AV256 is a rebranded Trendnet TPA-311. You should be able to plug either of the two ethernet ports on it into the TV switch.

Tags
fibreop, wiring