How do I scan for channels on Rogers 8300hd - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2012-04-28, 10:25 PM   #1
edgenet
Rookie

Default How do I scan for channels on Rogers 8300hd

Hello Everyone. This is my 1st post I hope I am posting in the correct section

I just had a Rogers 8300hd box installed I would like to know how do I scan for all the channels available. It seems I am missing channels 46 to 57 on the 8300hd It says to call rogers if I want those channels but the channels 46 to 57 work on the other two crt tv's. Thanks
edgenet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-28, 11:13 PM   #2
snorlax

Rogers boxes don't scan for channels. You will get what you pay for. Most likely answer is those channels are not part of the digital package you subscribe to so the box will not decode them for you but their analog equivalents are not being filtered out and your older TV's can still receive them. Rogers is supposed to install a bandpass filter that will block channels not subscribed to but they frequently overlook this when a subscriber changes his package.
Old 2012-04-29, 01:19 AM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If you don't subscribe to them (pay for them), these will be gone soon from your two analogue TV tuners as the channels above 28 will move to digital as discussed in the thread below. If you do pay for them, then call Rogers and they will activate them. The move to digital will eliminate the truck runs to install filters to change programming, etc. It will all be done by activation in the STB.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146605

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-04-29, 10:00 AM   #4
edgenet
Rookie

Thank-you for the prompt answer. I will call Rogers and sort this out.

Great site glad I found it and I hope I can contribute in the near future.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:08 AM   #5
edgenet
Rookie

One more question. Now that I have installed the 8300hb box I noticed I have to crank-up the volume at twice the level as before. Is there a setting to correct this.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:46 AM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Depends on your connection. If it's analogue audio, go into the "settings" (press settings button twice) and change the audio volume control to "fixed" not variable and change the audio range to "narrow". This assumes you're sending the signal to a TV. Read post 5 of the SA FAQ below and read the "useful post" I provided earlier.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719
Old 2012-04-30, 10:52 AM   #7
Paolo
Veteran

the digital and analog channel lineups now are different in many neighbourhoods.

no need to worry, the channels exist somewhere else in your digital lineup
Paolo is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-30, 11:56 AM   #8

Paolo, if he subscribes to those channels, they would be active on the digital STB and not say "call to subscribe" at any channel number since the channels are simply remapped. You may wish to re-read post 1 to understand what's happening. He's probably on one of the older "extended basic" or similar packages...
Old 2012-04-30, 01:49 PM   #9
Wayne
Veteran

How is your cable box audio connected to your TV? Do you go through an AVR? Do you use HDMI, digital optical/digital coax, or analog (red+white RCA cables)? Note that for best results (and simplest wiring) you should use an HDMI cable as they offer a fully digital path and can handle both video and audio.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.