Question about HDMI/DVI Port - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2012-04-27, 10:00 PM   #1
rogue17

Question Question about HDMI/DVI Port

Hi there, This is my first time in this section but don't know where to find the following information.

I have a LG HDTV with a HDMI IN Port and have my Bell HD receiver connected with a HDMI to HDMI cable.

I also have a HDMI/DVI Port and was wondering if I can connect a Bluray Player to it using a HDMI to HDMI cable like I did with my Bell Receiver?

Is the HDMI/DVI Port different than the HDMI IN Port?

I know there are splitters but have heard that it may be tricky using splitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-27, 10:04 PM   #2
jayoldschool
Veteran

Short answer, yes. However, if you have an AVR, you should run the HDMI from the BD to the AVR, then out to the TV (you can use an HDMI to DVI cable).
Old 2012-04-27, 10:39 PM   #3
JamesK
Veteran

You can connect HDMI & DVI if you use the appropriate cable. I suspect that "HDMI/DVI" port is labeled that way for that reason. However, if you use DVI you'll have to provide a separate connection for audio. That HDMI/DVI port may have a setting for use with a separate audio connection that regular HDMI ports wouldn't have. On both of my TVs, that separate connection is a mini-phone jack.
Old 2012-04-27, 11:11 PM   #4
rogue17

c/p jayoldschool
Quote:
Short answer, yes. However, if you have an AVR, you should run the HDMI from the BD to the AVR, then out to the TV (you can use an HDMI to DVI cable).
You lost me jay. You said yes but then you say "you can use an HDMI to DVI cable" if I have an AVR.

What I want to know is, can I connect a Bluray diectly into the HDMI/DVI port of the TV using a HDMI to HDMI cable?
Old 2012-04-27, 11:48 PM   #5
DSgamby
Veteran

yes you can
Old 2012-04-28, 12:32 PM   #6
jayoldschool
Veteran

Yes. That's as short as I can make it
Old 2012-04-28, 02:28 PM   #7
rogue17

Thank you Jay and DS.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:23 PM   #8
jayoldschool
Veteran

OOPS, reread it.

Quote:
can I connect a Bluray diectly into the HDMI/DVI port of the TV using a HDMI to HDMI cable?
NO, you need to use an HDMI to DVI cable (like I said in post #2). As james said, the audio will need to go separately.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:34 PM   #9
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
If it's a HDMI connector on the TV and also on the BR player, then a straight HDMI - HDMI cable should be OK. It's only when HDMI - DVI cable is used that separate audio is used and that port has to be configured to use the separate audio. As I mentioned, both of my TVs have that on one of the HDMI ports. In that case, a HDMI - DVI cable is used to connect a DVI device, along with audio cable.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:44 PM   #10
DSgamby
Veteran

jayoldschool: You need to reread it again. the HDMI/DVI port is the port on the TV and the only thing that mentions DVI It is actually just a HDMI port with the 2 composite audio ports. The HDMI/DVI port works like a normal HDMI port if it is connected to an HDMI device. For example. Blu-ray to TV hooked up using a HDMI to HDMI cable.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:11 PM   #11
ScaryBob
Veteran

It sounds like the only reason DVI is mentioned is due to the audio connectors. When connecting devices with DVI out, a separate audio cable is required. (DVI does not support audio.) When connecting to a device with HDMI out, that should be all that is required.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:28 PM   #12
jayoldschool
Veteran

Sorry, I was thinking it was a DVI port on the TV. Two of my older HDTVs have DVI instead of HDMI.

Regardless, the shape of the connector should make it pretty obvious to the OP what cable to use.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:30 PM   #13
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking it was a DVI port on the TV
Same here. Why on earth would a port be labelled DVI if it didn't accept a DVI connector? Confusing, to say the least.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:43 PM   #14
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
The DVI & HDMI ports are compatible for the video signal. If you have to connect a DVI device to HDMI, you get a cable with DVI connector on one end and HDMI on the other. However, you'll also need an audio cable and then configure that HDMI port to use the separate audio connection. On the other hand, if you connect a HDMI device to that same port, you do not need a separate audio cable nor do you have to configure for separate audio.

BTW, My Sharp Aquos TV has 6 HDMI ports. Only one of the six can be configured for use with DVI.
Old 2012-04-28, 06:02 PM   #15

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Some TVs have this feature while others do not allow for audio unless it's HDMI at both ends, or the DVI at the sending end is a computer which often sends audio out the DVI. Anything that doesn't send audio out the DVI (most STBs, etc) will require that type of input on the TV, along with the analogue audio cables for audio. The TV usually needs to be specially configured in the user menu, but this is all probably described in the operating manual for any TV that has such a feature.