MTS 4G agreements sask/nw ont - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2012-02-14, 11:47 PM   #1
Deaftube
Rookie

Default MTS 4G agreements sask/nw ont

Got an iphone last summer and was dissapointed it didn't work off a Northerntel tower at Minaki. Other MTS phones work there, it is a 4G tower, but no agreement between MTS and Northerntel for 4G. Apparently similar issues in Sask. Anyone know if agreements have since been reached, or if they're even trying? Annoying when your kid's $30 for the summer pay as you go from MTS works but the $60 a month iphone won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-15, 09:14 AM   #2
Dr.Dave

MTS have a roaming agreement with Rogers for the 4G network across Canada.

Here is the original thread discussing the launch of the 4G network and the Rogers partnership.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=136168

The roaming agreement with Bell, Telus, Sasktel, etc. only applies to the 3G network. I don't have any inside info, but I'm fairly confident that there are no plans for roaming agreements with the others for 4G.

You'll probably find that there are other areas where you have better coverage with 4G than 3G. It all depends on your exact location.
Old 2012-03-29, 01:11 PM   #3
Deaftube
Rookie

Not sure, but I believe the iphone 4 has a sim card in it. Would getting an unlocked cell and putting the mts card in that phone work? That would still enable phone, texting and perhaps basic "2G" emails.
Old 2012-03-29, 02:00 PM   #4
Dr.Dave

The MTS sim card would only roam on the Rogers network. It wouldn't roam on Northerntel regardless of which phone it was in because Northerntel and MTS only have a roaming agreement for CDMA phones.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:32 PM   #5
Deaftube
Rookie

Ok, thanks, guess all I can do is keep bugging mts to pursue an agreement.....
Old 2012-04-26, 10:06 PM   #6
Deaftube
Rookie

Well, went out yesterday for the first time this season and the iphone got 3 bars where last year there was zero signal. They must have done something to the 4G towers around Kenora, whatever it was it appears the problem is solved. Anybody know whose towers MTS uses in the Kenora area for 4G?
Old 2012-04-26, 10:39 PM   #7
Deaftube
Rookie

Did more internet snooping, now I'm more confused. MTS uses Rogers outside of the province. Rogers coverage map says no service to Minaki. But Rogers partnered with Tbay tel, with Tbay tel
basically taking over Roger's customers and Roger's effectively leaving NW Ontario. Tbay tel coverage map shows Minaki comfortably within 4G. Therefore, does MTS use Tbay tel towers in NW Ontario??
Old 2012-04-28, 11:28 AM   #8
Deaftube
Rookie

Contacted Tbaytel, they activated a 4G tower at Minaki on April 3 this year. So, everyone heading out to the cottage there with a Rogers or MTS phone should be in luck this year (4G).
Old 2012-08-11, 08:32 AM   #9
Bunkhouse

MTS has terrible coverage in Saskatchewan for 4G.

I also found it odd that Sasktel has an agreement to use MTS 4G towers in Manitoba, but MTS did not do the same with Sasktel in Saskatchewan...

Quote:
4G Network
The 4G network enables you to use your 4G phone on similar GSM and 4G networks across Canada where SaskTel has established roaming agreements with other 4G compatible network providers.

Expanded coverage in Manitoba is now available!
Old 2012-08-13, 08:01 AM   #10
JamesK
Veteran

I believe MTS roams on Rogers which has very little HSPA/LTE coverage in Saskatchewan.