Bell Unlock - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Mobility, Solo and Virgin Mobile

Old 2012-04-27, 03:24 PM   #1
bigcletus

Default Bell Unlock

I'm coming up to the end of my subsidized contract, iPhone 4, and want to get it unlocked when traveling outside Canada. Will Bell unlock it ??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-08-06, 12:01 PM   #2
kav2001c

You can not unlock an iPhone in Canada (Apple rules not Bell)
Old 2012-08-06, 12:43 PM   #3
TorontoColin

That's not true. While I'm not sue if Bell will do it, Telus and Rogers definitely will.
Old 2012-08-07, 01:17 PM   #4
m3repair

I have called and had Rogers and Fido unlock, both a 3G , 3GS and 4 without an issue, it will cost you however but if your lucky they may cancel the charges (usally $50) I haven't had a phone from Bell to unlock, but I couldn't see why they wouldn't if you finish your term with them. (Just ensure you do not cancel service before you want to unlock the phone.)
Old 2012-08-08, 03:56 PM   #5
bigcletus

I had ordered an "official" unlock thru a company in the UK that does just about all providers, including Bell, Telus, and Rogers, however days turned into weeks, into a month..so I cancelled it...I called Bell and they refused to unlock..even when my contract is up. So after stewing a bit, I called them back, and had my cell bill services cut in half, then I called Bell Sat and cancelled all premium packages..and in both instances I told them why..my displeasure with Bell corporate. I also asked them to send my notes "up the chain of command" to which both reps said they would ("if" they do is a diff matter). I also told each rep that I have Bell products for internet, cell, and sat tv (about $4k per year), and that I would be moving to a competitor, and I will. All I needed was my out of contract obligation iPhone 4 to be unlocked for traveling...As they say, customers can vote with their feet/wallets..and I am.
Old 2012-08-09, 04:16 PM   #6
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

So why not jailbreak and unlock yourself then? Seems like that would be less time and effort and frustration than dealing with Bell CSRs which likely will get you no where. You can tell them you're worth $4k a year and you're leaving and 10 seconds after you've hung up that agent will have probably forgotten about you forever.

If I were you I'd JB and unlock yourself.
Old 2012-08-09, 04:48 PM   #7
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Unlock is possible only on the very first versions of the firmware of the iPhone 4. If he hadn't updated to the latest firmware, he might be able to use Gevey SIM unlock, but that has its disadvantages and also may not be possible.
Even if he is really technical and lucky to do an official unlock himself, that is not the same as Bell unlocking it officially. It's a shame they do that. Let that be a warning for those considering iPhone from Bell - just don't do it. Rogers and Fido for sure (if someone says Telus, then Telus too) will unlock your iPhone after you are free from contract.

My only question to the original poster how are you coming to the end of a contract of iPhone 4, when it was released in 2010? Did Bell sell it to you on a 2 year contract? Can't see such option on Bell's page, just 3-year or No contract.
That would be the first 2 year iPhone contract I hear about in Canada.
Old 2012-10-15, 05:19 PM   #8
alebowgm
Veteran

Sorry to revive an old thread but wanted to see if there had been any change of this as of late? I hear Fido and Rogers will both unlock iPhones, but Bell won't? What gives?
Old 2012-10-15, 05:28 PM   #9
TorontoColin

I believe Bell remains the only one of the Big 3 to refuse to unlock devices under any circumstances.
Old 2012-10-15, 06:36 PM   #10
Zekes

I wonder if there is any legal grounds to force Bell to unlock off contract phones? I'd be in for a class action suit!
Old 2012-10-17, 06:13 PM   #11
sherds

I'm in a similar situation to the original poster .I am being offered a 3gs locked to Bell and was going to use that UK provider for an unlock(for 20pounds) as well which seems like a non starter now .Jailbreak and unlock i can do but it's a pain to upgrade each time and i just want it unlocked to use with my provider . Any other ideas would be appreciated .i gather most people on Craigslist doin gunlocks do a jb and software unlock so that's not really farther ahead . The Uk company had a fair price anything else seems way too pricey .

Last edited by sherds; 2012-10-17 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-10-22, 02:33 PM   #12
sherds

Since posting , i've done a bit more research and two posts on Howardfoums have stated that an unlock from Bell will be coming before the end of the year .
Depending on price that should be good (telus for instance recently dropped their iphone unlock to $35 )
Old 2012-10-22, 02:37 PM   #13
alebowgm
Veteran

Yea I saw that as well. On one hand I am tempted to buy a locked Bell phone right now because they are much cheaper than the unlocked ones. Once they can be unlocked, you know the market will get flooded and prices will likely go up...
Old 2012-10-22, 03:25 PM   #14
sherds

While hopefully accurate about the Bell unlock they are still rumors .The telus iphone might be a better shot but i believe you have to be a customer for some length of time before they will unlock so if you can get the purchaser to unlock it that would be the way to go as their unlock is much cheaper than Rogers/Fido .
Old 2012-10-28, 03:49 PM   #15
Nternal

Default Will Bell ever allow unlocking of iPhone?

It never fails. No matter how much I think I've done my homework, I always miss important things I never even thought to inquire about. Based on the way things were in the past I went with Bell for my iPhone 5. Previously you needed to buy an unlocked phone if you wanted to travel but now, after committing to Bell, l I now find out that Telus allows it's clients to unlock their phone after 90 days on the network. I also was under the impression that everyone shared the same network that the only difference between one provider and another was the voice/data packages they offered. While this was true for the 3G network it now turns out I've locked myself into a substandard 4G network with Bell (which offers very sporadic and spotty 4g coverage in the Vancouver area). It only adds insult to injury that and I don't even get the advantage of being able to travel overseas with an unlocked phone (like Telus users). Is there any truth to the rumour that Bell will allow unlocking of the iPhone in the near future?