GSW water heater not lighting all the time - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2012-04-26, 07:01 PM   #1
mfleuren
Rookie

Default GSW water heater not lighting all the time

I own (4 years old) a GSW model 6G50NVH-FV-02 with a Robertshaw controller. In the past, when it failed, it would blink continuously fast. I simply unplugged it and it would restart with no problems. Now, I can see the glow plug light up and it tries to fire up (can hear gas valve open) but after three attempts, it flashess 1 - 1 which from the error code indicates ignition failure. Now if I disconnect the power again and wait 4-5 hours, it ignites on the first try. Do I need a new igniter? I would appreciate some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-26, 07:35 PM   #2
billpaidJr

well if you can see the glow plug light up that is not the issue. Something else is preventing the gas to flow. Might be a variety of things...sensors, bad gas valve, low gas pressure, safety switches.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:57 PM   #3
TKG26
Veteran

Dirty flame rod. Call for service.

This is a very very common service call i get on these tanks. In some cases we also adjust the position of the flame rod to make sure it is pointing just above the burner to ensure full flame contact.

IF you must DIY this. Unplug it and clean the flame rod with some sand-cloth and wipe clean. But i suggest you have a licensed gas fitter look at it instead.

Last edited by TKG26; 2012-04-26 at 08:00 PM. Reason: info