Conversion to not-quite a home theatre - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner > Home Theatre Construction

Old 2012-04-26, 10:10 AM   #1
Lenny D

Default Conversion to not-quite a home theatre

I've had a setup in a basement room but a minor issue (mold ) forced the removal of wall coverings, carpet, drywall, etc.

I don't want to re-hash things that have been talked about elsewhere hence I'm asking for some direction as to threads I can reference (or if you want to voice an idea I'm very open to that).

I'll tell you what I've got to work with:

52" LCD
denon AV-2807
Paradigm 5.1
SVS sub

The room:

12' wide x 24' long
bare drywall
12"x12" ceiling tile (presumably glued to furring strips--not by me).

one door into room is approx 10' from end wall. Two windows one of which is on the 12' wall so the TV can't be there.

I previously had the TV on the opposite 12' wall with a viewing couch about 11' from it (basically, upon entering the room the couch was "right there").

I show a pic: the black rectangles are where the TV and couch were. The red rectangles are where I propose to put them now.

I guess two initial questions I have are:

1) Is the new location better or should I leave them where they were originally placed.

2) Should I leave the ceiling tiles in place or tear them out (this depends I guess on the final location of TV/couch though).

Only the drywall on the short window wall is being replaced (3 4x8's) which is 1/2".