Whole Home PVR in Rogers Atlantic - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable - Atlantic Canada

Old 2011-09-28, 04:37 PM   #46
Micheljleger
Rookie

Smile Rogers DCX-3400M ESATA 1 TB Hard Drive worked for me

I convinced Rogers to give me the ``new Whole home PVR boxes free`` deal. You get 2 new Motorolla MOCA boxes free (to keep, not rentals) if you commit to a 2 year cable/internet term. (I guess they are feeling the pinch from FiberOP 2.0)

They came to install a DCX 3400M and a DCX 700M. The boxes work much better than the Standard definition boxes I had previously. There's a nice new menu and guide and the boxes respond much faster to commands.

I didnt previously have a PVR, but recorded a few shows on my new PVR and my hard drive was about 20% full so I needed more storage space.

I asked Rogers if there was an expansion option and nobody would give me an answer so I decided to try it for myself.

I ordered a Shaw 1TB PVR extender since Shaw uses the DCX-3400 box and their website said it was compatible with the box. I bought the drive online from Best Buy for $99 with free snail mail shipping, so worse case if it didnt work I just bought an Iomega ESATA external drive for $100 that I could use for storage with my laptop.

http://www.***********/en-CA/product...7a381af997en02

I got the Shaw labeled box with the Iomega drive inside and hooked it up by following the Motorolla Instructions (see link below) and the box asked me to format the drive, I loked at my % full and I am now at 7%, so success in just a few minutes and so far so good no errors or missed recordings.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...er%20Guide.pdf

Results may vary, but it worked for me so if your willing to gamble $100 its worth a shot.

I bet Rogers will price the PVR extender for this box higher than $99 if they decide to start selling it, the 1 TB PVR extender for Ontario Rogers customers sells for $179.

Just an FYI. The Hard drive only has ESATA connections and no USB, so if it doesnt work with your PVR and you want to use it on a PC or laptop you will need an ESATA connection, unless you crack open the case and take out the hard drive.
Micheljleger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-23, 12:19 PM   #47
lajohn27

Exclamation Whole Home PVR in Rogers Atlantic - A Review

Ok .. so I had this installed by Rogers last week.

In classic "true to form for Rogers" capacity.. the box authorization from head end took two full days ... due to the system that authorizes boxes being down for an extended time during my install.

The install cost was $49.95. I called Rogers while waiting for the authorization and requested and got a credit for the cost of the install. There is no monthly charge for this. I do not pay for my boxes under a deal I worked out with retention last year.

So how does it work? Pretty well. There are some anomaly's when fastforwarding, 7 second rewind or what have you.. but generally speaking this works well..

Also true to Roger's typical "the customer knows more than their staff" -- the tech who installed it informed we could NOT set recordings from the non-PVR box.

Of course, he was wrong. I can set recordings on either box and the PVR unit will record them.

As much as I might like to consider another provider, the only option I have in my current dwelling is Rogers. So I figured I'd try to make the best of it.
lajohn27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-24, 07:30 AM   #48
can6rxw

I called Rogers a couple months back when I found out they had the new boxes out in Fredericton (I called the actual store). They told me to come on up and they'd change the HDPVR I had, 6416, for the new one. So, I took this home and hooked her up and it looked fine, no real issues. I noticed I had more recording space so I suspect it has a 250 gig drive as opposed to the 160 gig. I record only HD content and I can now have 10-12 HD 1 hour TV shows recorded and it only show as 25-30 percent full. I wonder if they did something with the compression (?)

I have noticed that when I FF, it does so faster than before. It was painful on the old box FF a show an hour long and you starting at the beginning and going to like the 40 minute mark.

I did notice in F'ton that they added a bunch of new HD channels. Problem with that is, that was the reason I got my discount, so I'll have to think of another one. My deals are done so I have to re-negotiate.
can6rxw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-24, 07:33 AM   #49
can6rxw

The following day that I got the new box, I went up to the store to take my old one back and they guy told me that Rogers told them that night that no one gets the new boxes unless they order the Whole-Home Service. I guess I lucked out!!

I wanted to clarify that so no one expected to change their old one and were told no.
Old 2011-11-24, 07:37 AM   #50
can6rxw

Did you sign a contract with them? Also, I need to call Rogers to negotiate with them, do you have any suggestions on how to get the PVR's free?
Old 2011-11-24, 11:37 AM   #51
woodsie

Can6:

Call them and tell them you want to negotiate a contract price as you've been shopping around. If you sign into a 1 year contract ask for a free PVR for the term + a discount to stay w/them. Get pricing from Aliant as ammo. They are still reasonable but not as much as last year BTW.. Oh, and make sure you speak to the retention dept because tier 1 CSRs have zero negotiating power.
woodsie is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 08:18 PM   #52
lajohn27

I did not negotiate a contract..

They screwed up my last move really bad.. to the point where I was without services for weeks.. (back in February) .. so I asked for and received the boxes free for a year.

In your situation -- The Bell-Aliant TV offer includes whole home pvr... so.. you could use that angle.

And one other piece of good news.. the new black Motorola PVR boxes.. have an eSATA port.. and it DOES function. I attached a 1 TB eSATA drive and the PVR formatted it up and it greatly increased my recording capacity.

Knox
Old 2012-04-26, 11:05 AM   #53
TheHulk

Default esata

Where are you guys getting your esata external drives?
Old 2012-05-04, 04:15 PM   #54
lajohn27

Mine came from Futureshop I believe.. not 100% sure as it was a gift.
Old 2012-05-07, 02:54 PM   #55
TheHulk

Default No luck

Tried there and Costco, no eSata, all USB, tried the Shaw website, no go, it's uner construction for that option.

I'll have to keep my eyes open I guess, Rogers dosn't offer one either, went right to the store.
Old 2012-05-07, 03:39 PM   #56
Tridus

Here's some options/ eSATA isn't nearly as popular as USB is simply because USB is on every computer and eSATA isn't. You might have to just order it.
Tridus is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-18, 02:05 PM   #57
Micheljleger
Rookie

Default eSATA drive at Best Buy

You can still get a 1TB drive from Best Buy for $99 with free shipping (on any order over $20) Thats where I got mine and it works 100%.

Go to Best Buy site and search for ``Shaw PVR Expander``. The drive they have last time I checked was an Iomega eSATA drive.

Guaranteed compatible since Shaw uses the Moto DCX 3400 in some markets.

I do not work for Best Buy, but the price seems pretty good, especially when it includes shipping.
Micheljleger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-03-28, 02:12 PM   #58
TheHulk

Default 3400m and 700m not communicating

I bought both of these boxes and have them authorized through Rogers but the 700 can't access the 3400, it keeps telling me to contact Rogers support, yup sure another 45.00 service call, is there anything I can do or check before I make that call to them? Both boxes work fine other than this.
Old 2013-03-28, 06:28 PM   #59
Danster

Hey buddy, long time to speak! Can't you get Fibre Op where you live? You would have so much less grief if you did.

Aside from that, just a wild guess, do both boxes have the same firmware? If it's like our VIP boxes, one has to say it's the boss and the other know their place. To me it sounds like they both want to be the big shot.
Old 2013-04-03, 05:38 PM   #60
Stefer

Hey TheHulk, i had the same problem too! The tech didn't put filters in + he had to call to let them know the filters were in. Just call.. they didn't charge me for install, as he was suppose to do it when he came anyway and he didn't. They have a few new techs to do installs and they don't always do 100%, thats what happened in my case, he didn't know better.
Thing is, the filters are so that neighbors don't access your box, for one thing, and more importantly, to not screw with phone modem and internet modem frequencies.
Stefer is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.