Xplornet's new 4G internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-25, 04:56 PM   #1
Technopeasant

Default Xplornet's new 4G internet

Xplornet's new '4G' fixed wireless is 5.0 to 10.0 Mbps, but '4G' satellite is 1.5 - 5.0 Mbps. I thought 4G would mean higher speeds; can someone explain? Will satellite speeds ever be higher?

I don't think I have line of sight for the fixed wireless, so satellite may be my only choice. How would I know if I'm on the new '4G' satellite vs. the old satellite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-29, 09:46 PM   #2
Sirius Guy

New 4G satellite platform is Viasat, available only in western Canada. The new Jupitor satellite goes up in June to cover the rest of Canada. Been installing it past 3 months and customers are pleased with the improvements over the old Hughes/Telesat platforms. No daily limits anymore, you get a monthly bucket and are charged extra if you go over, speeds are not reduced. Go to the website and input your postal code and see what is available in your area.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:30 AM   #3
jsebean

I regards to the "bucket", just how big is that bucket?
Old 2012-04-30, 09:33 AM   #4
Sirius Guy

3mbps package is 20gb per month, extra gigs charged @ $3.50 per gig = $59 per month.
5mbps package is 30gb, extra gigs charged @ $2.50 per gig = $89 per month.
Currrent promo offers unlimited data for first 3 months and a $50 coupon off 1st month.
System is $249 activation fee installed.
Old 2012-05-02, 06:58 AM   #5
jsebean

Ouch, that's way too small. From what I see, the speeds it offers are nice, but how does any company expect anyone to even use it with caps that small? I mean even Windows Update could eat that up without you knowing.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:27 AM   #6
Sirius Guy

much better than a 7gb air card from Roger's.....
Old 2012-05-02, 03:39 PM   #7
kbe2k12
Rookie

That's insanely low usage, is that going to be standard for Xplornet across Canada once Jupiter satellite is launched and is that for fixed wireless or satellite or both? I'm wondering because I'm moving out of the city soon and Xplornet is my only option, I've had it before and the only decent thing about it was no usage limits even though they throttled.

Another question, that overage is pretty crazy too is there limits on how much overage you can be charged? Also will there be any unlimited usage options even if it's a business plan.

Thanks.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:45 PM   #8
Technopeasant

@ Sirius Guy -When I go to their site and enter my address, they show 4G satellite - I'm in eastern Ontario, yet you say it's only available in western Canada - what gives?

Also according to http://www.xplornet.com/traffic-management/htv-itmp/ they can/do reduce speeds for 4G Sat.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:49 AM   #9
Sirius Guy

The second new satellite , Jupitor, goes up in June to cover eastern Canada, the current viasat satellite covers western Canada. Footprint carries about 150 kms east of the Mb/Sk border.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:53 AM   #10
Sirius Guy

Sat business plans have up to a 100gb bucket, not sure on wireless, check their website to see what is available in your area.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:18 AM   #11
jsebean

Yeah but it's insanely expensive and a business that does anything online could use over 100GB. 100GB is barely enough for home owners with a few computers running windows update, watching youtube and casually downloading. If I was to go with any cap I'd want at least 200GB since there are 4 people in my house, some play online games (I know satellites latency isn't good for games), watch youtube, and all the computers install updates.

I know this is satellite but the point i'm trying to make is they just don't treat us people in rural areas fairly and I get sick of it.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:44 AM   #12
_Biff
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopeasant View Post
@ Sirius Guy -When I go to their site and enter my address, they show 4G satellite - I'm in eastern Ontario, yet you say it's only available in western Canada - what gives?

Also according to http://www.xplornet.com/traffic-management/htv-itmp/ they can/do reduce speeds for 4G Sat.
There is 4G satellite in Eastern ontario now from Xplornet. It pretty much covers all the south to North Bay... it is live. I have gotten a call from Xplornet saying it is live now including 4G fixed Wireless.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:46 AM   #13
_Biff
Rookie

Default 4G Satellite and latency

Hi All;

I am considering getting the 4G satellite internet from Xplornet, but wanted to see if anyone else has this installed and can weight in on its abilities.

I need VPN and remote desktop / Webex functionality for work purposes. I know older satellite had a latency issue which pretty much rendered business applications useless, such as webex.

Does anyone use remote desktop/webex/VPN over 4G satellite with good results ?

thnx
Old 2012-05-03, 01:29 PM   #14
kbe2k12
Rookie

Xplornet's website is useless cannot find the information I need, I contacted the people who did the install last time I had Xplornet they gave me some good information on packages and prices though the 4G hasn't rolled out yet (this is in south-eastern Canada) so they claim it's still unlimited usage but still under the F.A.P. and didn't know about any caps coming once that 4G rolls out.

I spent a few hours looking for other providers and found another one which offers fixed wireless "up to" 5mbps and 125GB per month and it's the same price as Xplornet's Zoom or whatever it's called.

So glad I found that because I was seriously considering Dial up for the first time in like twelve years.
Old 2012-05-03, 04:06 PM   #15
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
Any geosync satellite will have similar latency due to the distance the signal travels. The round trip is about 80,000 Km or 260 mS plus whatever the equipment adds.