Google to sell Galaxy Nexus directly - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-24, 06:10 PM   #1
TorontoColin

Default Google to sell Galaxy Nexus directly

Quote:
We started shipping Nexus phones more than two years ago to give you a pure Google experience and access to the latest Android updates. Today, we’ve started selling Galaxy Nexus (HSPA+) from a new Devices section in the Google Play web store, so you can quickly and easily purchase an unlocked version of the phone. We want to give you a place to purchase Nexus devices that work really well with your digital entertainment.
US only for now, but this is the first time Google has sold a device directly since the Nexus One. Hopefully this is a trend they intend to continue with future Nexus devices. If they are able to offer their phones unlocked and at a reasonable price from day one, I would not hesitate to purchase direct from Google again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-24, 09:25 PM   #2
TKG26
Veteran

I wish we could buy all phones direct. I hate that the HTC one X is only available from Rogers.. Im on Telus and dont want to move to get that phone. Buying one outright is an option but im pretty sure on launch thats not always the easiest thing to do..
Old 2012-04-24, 09:28 PM   #3
BGY11
Veteran

$399 is a really good price as well - if they extend this offer up here in Canada, carriers are going to have to reduce the price of their Galaxy Nexus phones.
BGY11 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 12:52 PM   #4
99semaj
Veteran

A good move for sure. Google needs to wrestle control away from the carriers, similar to what Apple accomplished with updates and selling unlocked phones at retail.
99semaj is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 12:59 PM   #5
jvincent

Personally the only reason I can see for buying a phone directly from Google is if your carrier doesn't carry it.

I bought a Nexus One and when I replaced it I went with a subsidized RAZR from Rogers. Since I am very unlikely to switch from Rogers (discounts, devil you know, etc) I might as well pocket the $400 subsidy since I don't get a discount if I buy a phone from Google.
Old 2012-04-25, 03:56 PM   #6
TorontoColin

If you're like me and prefer to be contract-free, or you want to upgrade and it's not time for an upgrade with your carrier, then this is great. Carriers tend to mark up devices in order to make the contract subsidy look more impressive, but Google doesn't seem to be doing that. They make their money on you using Google services, so they're happy to sell you devices at cost if they come with Google software.

I suspect this is also a prelude to them selling their rumoured Nexus tablet at a very low price.
Old 2012-04-25, 05:03 PM   #7
jvincent

I can see the rationale for upgrading before you are subsidy eligible as a reason, especially if Google offers the phones at a good price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.