Shaw Direct Radio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-04-23, 06:20 PM   #1
NovaMan

Default Shaw Direct Radio

It has been quite a while since Shaw Direct added any new radio channels, and audio uses very little valuable transponder space, so with that in mind ,I would like to see Shaw Direct become more representative of the whole country. SD has no radio channels from Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, Nunavut or Newfoundland and Labrador.

Now, I know we can receive plenty of radio channels on-line, but that is not the point; this is the Shaw Direct Discussion Forum, and I for one enjoy being able to receive radio channels via satellite.

I would like to see Shaw add at least a half dozen radio channels from these provinces and territories that are currently not on satellite TV.

My suggestions include:
VOCM 590 AM ...St. John's, NL....news/talke/music
CHOZ FM ...St. John's, NL....Top 40 and Rock
CFCY 95.1 FM..Charlottetown, PEI...Country
CFBC 930 AM...Saint John, NB...oldies
CKOM ...Saskatoon....news and talk
CKCK FM 94.5......Regina, SK....adult hits
CFYK 1340 am CBC Radio 1 Yellowknife, NWT
CKGC 103.5 FM...Iqaluit, Nunavut....classic hits
CKHO 1340 AM, Happy Valley-Goose Bay....First Nations Community Radio

What suggestions do you have?

Last edited by NovaMan; 2012-04-23 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-24, 03:12 PM   #2
Paolo
Veteran

i would like to see 94.5 the beat, 101.3 the bounce, 98.3 fly fm, 104.5 chum fm and flow 93.5 hits that move you.
Old 2012-04-24, 03:46 PM   #3
NovaMan

Paolo 104.5 FM CHUM is already on SD on Ch.872 (classic numbering) and 535 (advanced numbering).
Old 2012-04-24, 09:30 PM   #4
starchoice
Veteran

Wishful thinking. Take a look at your list and determine how many of those channels are Corus owned. The majority of the radio channels are Corus (a Shaw company) owned. I doubt they will add any new radio channels, particularly if they have no ownership of them. Keep in mind that they have received CRTC approval to broadcast XM but this is quite old and they have not taken any steps at all to introduce these approved channels.
Old 2012-04-27, 08:53 PM   #5
NovaMan

Corus Radio has 37 stations and Shaw direct has over 55 radio channels; well over half of the Corus radio stations are not on Shaw. Shaw Direct seems to pick radio channels from various owners that represent different parts of the country, certainly not just Corus. Even Bell owned radio channels are found on the Shaw Direct radio list.
Old 2012-04-28, 02:19 AM   #6
starchoice
Veteran

A lot of the radio channels are free to air. I believe that there are about fifteen of them. Shaw likely provides them for this reason. There are four CBC channels included. The U.S Radio from Washington (seven channels) has been offered by Shaw and/or Shaw Direct since the dawn of time, even before satellite service. Just sayin' that based on this information, the likelihood of any additional commercial radio (non-Shaw/Corus) appears to be unlikely. The current list is heavily skewed toward Corus, understandably so from a private profit-motivated enterprise perspective.
Old 2012-04-30, 02:50 PM   #7
kcowan

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI

The Washington radio channels are a hangover from their days as a cable provider in Alberta.