FibeTV without Internet Add-on? Now Possible (2012.04 - Via Retentions?) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Fibe TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-23, 07:41 AM   #46
upsdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
You should be able to get Fibe TV and Tekksavvy Cable Internet (not DSL Internet).
I called Bell Fibe and asked them about being able to go with a different cable company for internet, and she said that was not possible as you need to have Bell Internet to have Bell Fibe TV, I tried to explain to her that I realized that we did need the internet for Fibe, but that I was able to use another provider for Cable Internet and only get charged for bell internet for the TV part, they said no, it does not work that way. I am at a loss, anyone want to shed some light on this? more details would help as how this thing really works..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-23, 07:57 AM   #47
nitra

I was afraid this would happen, I got the information from retentions.
You cannot have FibeTV without internet, however, you can have the internet as "Zero Rated" and FibeTV.
With FibeTV you have to have a phone line, even if it's dryloop, and an internet connection.
What I was told from retentions, is that the internet portion can be "Zero Rated", you won't be billed for it unless you use the internet portion, but the FibeTV will work, and everything applications etc, will work.

This is a new policy shift, it's possible that front line people are not aware of it. I will call back in this morning and see what else I can sort out.
I need to swap my internet portion, hence the reason this information came to light. While the net is fast, I can't stay in the 210gb cap. I called retentions last week going over different options, there was no way for them to increase my cap at all, he them told me that I can, if I wanted call back anytime, have my net dropped to "Zero Rated" and order a cable connection from another provider.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:08 AM   #48
Dr.Dave

If anyone is trying to get this done through a front-line CSR, it might help if you specifically ask for "zero-rated" internet.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:42 AM   #49
jeffbeck
Rookie

Are you still charged that 6.95 for modem fee that appears under the internet section.

And after you made the switch off internet to someone else, do you still get to keep the $20 a month discount for the fibe tv receiver.

Thanks.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:05 AM   #50
nitra

Did some digging this morning.

Was told,
"generally speaking, this is something that's available from the loyalty department, but any of us can apply it, it's not something we talk about"

This came after I mentioned "Zero-Rated" internet.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:21 AM   #51
jeffbeck
Rookie

Nitra do you know anything about the modem fee?
Old 2012-04-23, 11:35 AM   #52
nitra

Sorry no.
Old 2012-04-23, 05:25 PM   #53
Boavista

Interesting. Wonder if they will do it for new subs. My parents r old and dont have computers. Fibe is much cheaper then rogers if they can get it without paying for internet.
Old 2012-04-23, 06:14 PM   #54
upsdriver

Boavista, it is worth a try, just explain to the loyalty people that your parents are interested but they do not need internet and they do not use it at all, and mention the "Zero Rate" internet, i am almost pretty sure they will offer it to them.. like I said its worth a try..
Old 2012-04-23, 08:04 PM   #55
upsdriver

Smile

Ok Guys,
Here is my question, hope someone can help shed some light as to what and how I should do this, I am currently with Fibe TV, and I have vonage home phone, now If i want to port my number to vonage and go dry loop for fibe tv, what is the best way? I know I cant call Bell to cancel or I wont be able to port my number over to vonage, If I just call bell and say I want a dry loop for my fibe tv, I am afraid they might disconnect my whole service and then I wont have TV or a number to have ported over, so how do I do this?? please any help will be useful..

Thanks in advance

Gus
Old 2012-04-23, 11:09 PM   #56
betterthancable

You can switch to dry loop. You just have to be careful that you have the order to have your number transferred to Vonage first and the person at Bell understand what you want to do. If not you may have no service for a day or so.
Old 2012-04-24, 04:15 AM   #57
HDTV101
Veteran

If you port your phone number and you have DSL on that line you will lose DSL service. You must first get another line that's a Dry loop... then move your internet to that... then you can port the phone number from the first line.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:56 AM   #58
betterthancable

I called in to find out what this zero rated Internet is all about. Apparently it's only for people that don't have a computer...so if the installer sees a computer when he goes to your house you don't qualify...and it's only available to a few people. They'll monitor the Internet usage and if you use above a certain amount they'll have you start paying for the internet again. The applications like Facebook on the TV apparently use the Internet. For now they say you can't order without the Internet, you have to get installed with it and then cancel after.

I was looking at it for my mother who doesn't need or want a computer.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-25 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Post moved to appropriate thread.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:38 PM   #59
QuantumFluxx

So a few weeks ago Bell called us on the Hamilton Mountain to tell us that FibeTV was available in my area. We told them no thanks, due to having to get the internet as well. We are currently on Shaw BB100 with 500gb cap. There is quite simply absolutely not even a snowball's chance in hell that I would agree to switch from that to Fibe25 75GB garbage. This thread gave me a bit of hope on getting Fibe TV without internet, so I tried to call them and request the zero rated internet, but none of the agents that I spoke to knew anything about it. I tried talking to the Fibe tv CSR's, talked to them online, went to the local Bell Store, not a single one knew anything about this zero rated internet option and they just sat there trying to convince me that it was in my best interest to digitally castrate myself with Fibe25 internet. "Why you no want Fibe internet? Get off Shaw!" was their pitch line.

We are currently using Bell satellite and home phone, not under contract anymore either. I guess Bell truly doesn't want any of our business if they cant take their internet portion out of the equation.

Shaw EXO with Gateway PVR's I suppose is our only whole-home-pvr option.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:45 PM   #60
nitra

I've been working on getting it myself, it's few and far between to find people who know about it.