Cool new smartphone accessory - Bluetooth watch. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-13, 12:04 PM   #1
TechieFreak

Default Cool new smartphone accessory - Bluetooth watch.

There's this company that is designing a watch that syncs with your smartphone (Android or iPhone). Check out the video, I backed it around 9500. Now it's getting huge!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ently_launched
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-13, 01:14 PM   #2
Jase88

Bluetooth watches have been around for a few years now. I recall checking one out a long time ago...
Old 2012-04-13, 01:18 PM   #3
billpaidJr

meh...most people nowadays don't use watches...they have the cell phones with the time on them already.

A bit redundant to carry both around...but some people can't live without them.
Old 2012-04-14, 02:51 PM   #4
rpr

Me too, in the 9600's. Can't wait!
Old 2012-04-15, 11:13 AM   #5
TechieFreak

Forbes magazine also considers this a great idea. While it's not for everybody, this watch is a great feature for reasons depicted in the Kickstarter video. As of this moment, there are almost 20,000 backers of this startup.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk...-project-ever/
Old 2012-04-15, 11:30 AM   #6
MrBizi

I think this is a great idea...Apple would be foolish not to buy this company or a similar technology.
Old 2012-04-15, 12:25 PM   #7
NeilN
Veteran

I agree that it looks cool, but I'm not sure if there's a mass market for it. Kind of reminds me of the old calculator/game watches we had back in the day.
Old 2012-04-17, 01:14 PM   #8
rpr

Maybe not mass market, but 20,000 orders is nothing to sneeze at. It's actually a tad smaller than my current daily watch, so that's not an issue for me, the added functionality will be much appreciated though. No more scrambling to see who's calling/messaging, just check my watch. Can't wait!
Old 2012-04-17, 03:52 PM   #9
Jase88

Not sure if it's the same model of BT watch, but I saw one yesterday in the news that works with GPS on your wireless device. So, for example, a cyclist like myself could use the watch to view speed/distance data coming from a GPS app on my phone. I thought that was cool.
Old 2012-04-17, 06:50 PM   #10
TorontoColin

It's approaching $4 million. Assuming an average of around $120/watch, that's well over 32,000 watches they've sold already.

I think I'm going to order a couple of the coloured ones. Of the current choices I'd rather have black, but I'm really hoping the voter's choice will come up with something enticing (I'm hoping gunmetal grey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpaidJr View Post
meh...most people nowadays don't use watches...they have the cell phones with the time on them already.

A bit redundant to carry both around...but some people can't live without them.
I don't strap my phone to my wrist, which means I have to take it out of my pocket to check the time. A wristwatch is much more convenient.

I think this will be really useful at work or during other times when I can't conveniently check my phone. I also really love the decision to use e-paper for this.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:40 AM   #11
TechieFreak

There are now over 50,000 backers, and they have now raised over $7.5M through Kickstarter. That's quite a bit of people interested in something new, with very little advertising.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:14 AM   #12
TechieFreak

Just wanted to update this thread. It took long enough, but I finally received my pebble watch on Feb. 21.

So far, the experience has been great. More apps are being designed. I updated the watch strap within the first week to a more comfortable leather strap. My Nexus S is pretty much permanently in quiet mode, as I receive all my prompts now through the vibration and display of the pebble.

There's now talk that both Apple and Samsung are working on a companion watch to go with their phones. For such a small product, it sure stirred quite a bit of interest in the smartphone market.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:42 PM   #13
Jase88

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on performance; specifically I'd like to know if the watch remains paired, or loses pairing periodically, etc.
Old 2013-03-19, 07:56 AM   #14
Ouser

if the phone is paired with a watch, can it also pair with the car at the same time? Scenario: sitting in car wearing watch while streaming to bt audio and a call comes in.
?
Old 2013-03-19, 10:16 AM   #15
TechieFreak

Seeing how the display on the Pebble is e-ink, monochrome, approx 1" square, I doubt anyone will watch anything on it.

When I receive an email notification, I only get the message of who it's from.
Text messages will be displayed, as well as Google Talk messages.
Call display shows simply the phone number if the caller is not in my contact list, their name if they are.

I have a large assortment of "watch" displays, from analog to digital for the time.

And the BT connection does not interfere with the BT connection with my car.
Jase88, I have yet to lose connection with my phone, unless I walk away from my phone, but it immediately reconnects when I get close to it again.

As I previously mentioned, a lot of major players are now getting into the "smartwatch" market now...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/19/sam...tch-continues/