OTA Station Status: Montréal, QC, Northern NY & VT - Page 186 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-12, 09:07 PM   #2776
mille

Default 6.1

No problem here on my Sharp Aquos 2007 And my two CM converter box ( 7000 And 7001)
mille is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-13, 12:18 AM   #2777
BOUVAL

Quote:
Sometime this week I lost reception of the local CBC stations : how can this be ?
They shut off their transmitters around midnight the other night, even Global.
BOUVAL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-14, 12:20 AM   #2778
Yuprules

@WalterP: I only get the stuttering on 6.1. I don't have it on 2.1. It is IMPOSSIBLE to watch Hockey with it stuttering, it's like the players are going back and forwards. I sent CBC a complaint on their "general webform", got an answer 2 weeks after I sent it saying that they forwarded it to engineering, yeah well...it's been a MONTH and 6.1 is still stuttering like mad with 80% signal on my Samsung TV!

This is nuts, it's been over a month...how hard is it to fix it? Someone needs to find out a telephone number and CBC 6.1 Montreal. I can't watch hockey like this!
Yuprules is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-14, 09:27 AM   #2779
BaconBoy
Rookie

@Yuprules : I have the exact same symptoms as you, and I also have a Samsung (it's an older one LN-T4669F). No problem on 2.1, big problem on 6.1 I even see the symptom watching the news or regular programming. It's like watching a webcast, where the refresh rate is too low, and the players move in 6" increments around the ice.

I'm just using the built-in ATSC tuner, but everything's been fine for several years up until last month.
BaconBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 05:50 PM   #2780
alien0

I haven't had any issues with 6.1 with Sony, Philips and Sharp TVs, at all. No stuttering, no issues of any kind. Could this be local interference perhaps?
alien0 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 10:29 AM   #2781
BaconBoy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien0 View Post
I haven't had any issues with 6.1 with Sony, Philips and Sharp TVs, at all. No stuttering, no issues of any kind. Could this be local interference perhaps?
That's helpful information. I doubt it's local interference because all other channels are perfect. The acid test was last weekend when NBC and CBC both broadcast the Predators/Red Wings game. NBC was perfect and CBC had the jerky motion.

Only thing I can see comparing 2.1 and 6.1 is that 2.1 has full PSIP while 6.1 has nothing (on my TV anyway). Is this the case with you also? Thanks for your help
Old 2012-04-17, 10:56 PM   #2782
alien0

That is correct, 6.1, 10.1, 35.1 and 62.1 are the still without PSPID.

On the Sharp TV the closed captions appear garbled on 6.1 all the time, but otherwise the picture is perfect. I don't have caption issues on other TVs so far.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:24 PM   #2783
balm
Veteran

Default Flaking

Yah....this makes OTA seem really flaky.....

for the last 2 weeks, every nght I stayed awake, I lost ALL montreal channels, around 12.00, kind of SUCKS when following a playoff gameon CBC, or Le Match on TVA....

whats going on....
balm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-18, 12:37 PM   #2784
Yuprules

@balm At least you can watch 6.1 , I can't watch hockey, the jerky motion of CBC Montreal over the air makes me vomit for hockey because I only get half the frames. I can't even watch the news on CBC 6-1 anymore over the air, the jerky motion of the video causes me to be ill after a while.

Also of note, did you notice it is missing a picture size when you try to change it from 16:9 and 4:3? On ALL other ota channels, I can choose between 16:9, 4:3, Zoom and Just Scan on remote. I tried it on a TV that doesn't have the 6-1 jerky problem, and Just Scan is also missing (brand new Samsung LED TV).

It's like Montreal CBC 6-1 is sending some "bad video data" over the air and some hdtv's can't decode it properly so it gets all jerky/stuttering.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:49 PM   #2785
alien0

"Just scan" will work only if the source and the TV both have matching resolution. So you probably bought a 1080p TV but the source in this case is broadcasting at 720p. It should be the same behaviour as on 44.1 (also 720p).
Old 2012-04-19, 07:36 AM   #2786
BaconBoy
Rookie

Ditto for the garbled CC's on 6.1, CC's are available for all other broadcasts
Just Scan is only available for 1080i broadcasts on my 1080p TV

I sent a complaint e-mail to CBC stating that several of us in this forum were experiencing difficulties with their OTA broadcast. Hopefully we'll get some action.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:29 AM   #2787
johnvan

I've had no issues with 6.1 in Kirkland. I'm using and HD Homerun network tuner into my Toshiba and Sharp TV's.
johnvan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-19, 01:15 PM   #2788
Yuprules

@BaconBoy I e-mailed them a month ago, the "contact form" people e-mailed Engineering, nothing has been done in a month. Oh well, guess I'll watch hockey on NBC over the air instead. I couldn't find an e-mail address, just a "generic form".

@alien0 but CBC French 2.1 is 720p and it allows for "JUST SCAN" It's JUST CBC English 6-1 that doesn't allow "Just Scan". Must have to do with the "stuttering" problem 6-1 is having.
Old 2012-04-19, 02:50 PM   #2789
BaconBoy
Rookie

Yeah, I'm sure it's my built-in ATSC tuner that is outdated and can't decode the CBC signal properly. But it used to prior to March 2012 and it handles all the other stations.

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-04-19 at 03:16 PM. Reason: political comments removed as per rules of the site
Old 2012-04-19, 03:19 PM   #2790
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Some of you who have been members here a long time know that we have CBC staffers as members here who actively participate in this site's CBC-related threads. You could try to PM them to ask if they could join in on this thread about possible technical issues on 6.1 that viewers are reporting.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
ota, wcax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.