Use outside Rogers box for OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-13, 10:33 PM   #1
HockeyPlayer
Rookie

Default Use outside Rogers box for OTA

Hi. I am totally new to this and I am wondering if I install an attic antenna and run cable down through the soffit to the external Rogers box can I hook in there? Is it OK to open the box after rogers has disconnected my cable service to hook up my antenna? I have cable internet (not through Rogers) that I intend to keep.
Any info is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-13, 11:16 PM   #2
Jase88

From a technical perspective, this can work.

Unfortunately, Rogers actually terminates the cable within this box (called a CSE, or Customer Security/Service Enclosure). Therefore opening this box can be construed as an attempt to steal service.

The cable within will be terminated with a locking terminator. Hypothetically, if you were to open the box and not interfere with the locking terminator on the active cable line to the home, Rogers likely wouldn't take action if they discovered it.

However, to keep things "above board", I would call Rogers and request that the cable be terminated at the pedestal or aerial tap (depending on how cable is fed to your home), and ask them to remove (or preferably unlock) the CSE for your use.
Old 2012-04-15, 08:53 PM   #3
HWP

If you have cancelled your cable but your internet still comes into your house from the cable wire (ie even if you have Teksavvy cable internet), then that Rogers cable wire will be required to feed you your internet.

Buy a 3/8 inch long drill bit and drill through the morter through the wall and use some silicone sealant to seal up the gap. You can run a new wire into the house. That way you and future owners will have the ability to have both OTA and cable internet. Don't worry, if you look at your house you'll notice there are already lots of holes plugged up with silicone sealant.

Good luck!
Old 2012-04-16, 07:17 PM   #4
mr shady

When you have the disco done by rogers (when u call in ask the csr to have tech to drop lines out of cse the box) they will note this on work order and can be done by tech i have hasa few work orders asking this it is called a competive disco!
Old 2012-04-17, 07:45 PM   #5
HockeyPlayer
Rookie

Default More details

So I called Rogers to cancel my service and then they offer me Basic cable with 1 free HD box for 1/3 of what I am currently paying. Interesting but I want 2 HD boxes (which should be nothing for them considering the $$$ I have given them over the years). Well the say NO and I say BYE. I then wanted to talk to technical support to see if I can have access to the CSE box after they disconnect to connect my antenna. The tech guy tells me I won't be able to get TV with an antenna anymore and I should go to the CRTC website to see for myself. I tell him he is incorrect and that I already have a working antenna hooked up (to 1 TV). He tells me it will not work very soon. This is their tech support guy! I then said "So you are saying that there will be no way to get TV except through Rogers or Bell, Shaw, etc..." He says Yes.
I can't believe a Roger's representative would be misinforming the public like this. Essentially scaring people into going with their service or lose TV altogether.
This went on until I got pushed to tier 2 and another rep telling me I can't get TV over the air. Then they hung up on me!

I called back to see about getting access to the CSE and they said they do not provide this service but I could get the box removed from my house and the lines cut.

So now what?

All I want is access to the wires on my property going into my house!
Old 2012-04-17, 08:06 PM   #6
mr shady

Call them bacj and say i have set my service to be canceled @ this day! i am going with another provider and i want the lines left avabl outside you encolser for my new provider to connect to them! if they wont simple break into cse and remove your self! just tell them you are changing providers and want them to leave avabl for new provider dont tell them ota or anything
Old 2012-04-17, 08:08 PM   #7
Jase88

BDU staff generally lack any factual knowledge of OTA. They often dish out blatantly false info...it's just not worth engaging them in any discussion regarding OTA.

Basically, you tried. Keep a record of the date/time, whom you spoke to, etc., to demonstrate that you made a reasonable effort to work with Rogers on the issue.

I would carefully cut open their box, remove the cable lines that feed into your home, and close their box. Install your own box next to the Rogers CSE (or remove the CSE if you so desire). You can purchase sealed outdoor boxes at hardware big box stores....

Be sure to transfer the ground cable to the new box, where you'll want to install either a ground block or arrestor.

Good luck.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:11 PM   #8
Jase88

^^^ Further to my post: Don't cut their active cable line. This will result in signal leakage, which Rogers tech actively track to keep in compliance. Their line must remain properly terminated.