Kitchen under cabinet hood - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2012-04-15, 01:23 PM   #1
e268

Default Kitchen under cabinet hood

I am looking for a under cabibet hood (venting outside). My criteria is "bearable noise" and effective in removing oil, odor, and smoke. I am considering this Cyclone or Broan which do not use filters and collect oil using centrifugal force. They vary from 500 cfm to 700 cfm. The fan blades are coated with Teflon. Noise level is at 5-7 sones depending on the model. Any of you have used these hoods?
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-15, 11:23 PM   #2
txv
Veteran

It's important to check the required vent pipe size.

The 4" pipe that many contractors use cripples all but the smallest kitchen exhaust fans.

Even 6" isn't sufficient for over a couple hundred cfm.
Old 2012-04-15, 11:52 PM   #3
dscott01

I bought a Broan Allure 2 hood fan about 6 months ago. I tried one of the cheaper hood fans for $50 but they were much too loud. I really didn't want to spend so much on a hood fan, but it is great. It is extremely quiet, and moves a lot of air.

I'm not sure why you would need an exhaust vent larger than 4"...
dscott01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 01:10 AM   #4
txv
Veteran

Kitchen exhaust fans start at 160 cubic feet per minute and go up.

Fans are designed to deliver rated airflow at a certain pressure; above which performance dramatically drops off.

160 cfm through a 4" pipe requires a velocity of 1833 ft per minute which is not realistic.

160 cfm through a 6" pipe requires a velocity of 815 ft per minute which is reasonable. (calculated here - http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/du...ons-d_883.html)

4" is okay for a bathroom exhaust fan which only moves 50-70cfm.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:05 AM   #5
e268

Thanks for the link. Using this link for a 7" round exhaust as recommended by Broan, the max cfm is about 200 (using the duct sizing chart). Yet, Broan unit is rated at 430 cfm. So, Broan over-rated their cfm?

Also, does it mean that I'll be wasting my money buying a 680 cfm hood?
Old 2012-04-16, 11:38 AM   #6
billpaidJr

I don't think they overrated the capacity...that is the capacity of the fan on its own. In real life use you will probably never achieve that much air movement due to the duct sizing and restrictions like flappers, filters, elbows in the duct etc...

One thing to consider is..when you are exhausting that much air out in an air tight house you will be creating negative pressure inside the house. Depending on how tight the house is will determine your overall flow...you will never be able to move more air out than what can be replaced back into the house.
billpaidJr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 06:45 PM   #7
txv
Veteran

If you have a natural draft water heater or furnace, pulling out 680 cfm may cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

For that amount of air, a 8-10"+ pipe may be required; chances are that there isn't enough clearance for that. Most install manuals spec out the pipe size required and the maximum equivalent length.
Old 2012-05-09, 02:40 AM   #8
tandem

I'm a big fan (pun intended) of Vent-A-Hood.

We put in a 30" NPH9 fan when we did our kitchen reno - a gut to the studs reno. It uses a teflon coated removable squirrel cage fan design, all stainless elsewhere. Apparently it is 5.4 Sones.

Two-speed; the low speed is somewhat quieter than high but auto-senses and will shut itself off for a period of time. Both work well but out of habit I hit high speed more often than not. Very effective at removing odours and keeping moisture down in the kitchen.

Built well. No complaints whatsoever, have used it now for almost two years. I'd buy another without pause.

http://www.ventahood.com/hoodmodels_specs.jsp?id=4#

As it was a gut to studs reno, and I had my roof redone not long after, getting a big fat exhaust pipe direct to the roof (six feet up) was dirt simple... and I designed the new kitchen to ensure a good location for stove and vent.

What a difference a good vent makes - the kitchen remains cleaner and the neighbourhood knows what we are cooking.
tandem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-09, 03:00 PM   #9
mr weather
Veteran

We did a complete kitchen reno last fall and went with a Vent-a-Hood as well. Our is the insert due to a custom range canopy. The ceiling joists were just big enough to accomodate the 7" vent pipe.

It works exceptionally well at removing smells and steam (we crack open the kitchen window a bit to prevent any negative-pressue problems).
mr weather is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-17, 01:31 PM   #10
Cockroach

I too recommend Vent a Hood though the model in my house is old (installed by the previous owner). Twin squirrel cages and a single-bend 8" duct makes it good enough to allow blackening food (have a 4x15,000 BTU gas range). Noisey SoB though.....
Cockroach is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-17, 08:09 PM   #11
txv
Veteran

Something interesting I just noticed about the specs - they're rated at 0" static pressure.

So it's impossible to vent 300 cfm with a 300 cfm vent-a-hood.

I'm sure that they're still good units though.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:41 AM   #12
tandem

Update to my other comment on Vent-a-Hood - we finally cleaned ours and were pleased with how relatively simple it was. I also noted that zero grease ended up in the duct itself - it was all trapped by the other surfaces and the teflon coated squirrel cage blower.
Old 2012-06-12, 09:26 AM   #13
e268

Thanks for your info. I have no say as to what to get. My wife wants to get an insert into the 12" cabinet so there will be no hood sticking out. I'll entertain her for now to keep her happy, but if it gets greasy later, I'll get yours.

The spec sheet of the 30" model says 300 cfm (equiv 450). I am impressed with your actual results.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:30 PM   #14
tandem

Myself I don't mind the slightly industrial look of our Vent-A-Hood. It has nice clean lines. I cook more than my wife, at least when I'm not doing a major renovation project, so I get as much say as she does in kitchen matters but thankfully we agreed on this one. What appealed to us most was the simplicity of the design as it seemed more likely that it would come clean, and that we would clean it.

Our home was built in 1931 and prior to our kitchen reno had never had a working kitchen vent fan. When bought the place 16 years ago all I had time to do was paint it all inside and out before our first born came along.

The kitchen renovation prior to ours had the stove in a spot that could not be reasonably vented with one of those too common Broan models that vents back to your face, a nightmare to clean. It simply did not work for the purpose required and probably never did from day one, so grease ended up all over the walls and ceiling and particularly above the cabinets was a dusty greasy nightmare.

A kitchen that had originally appealed to us (except for the vent) eventually decayed and became grimy despite cleaning attempts so finally we pulled the plug and stripped it to the studs and rebuilt it right. The stove was moved to a more sensible location that allowed a straight-up large diameter duct and a proper hood. What a difference - the kitchen stays clean - and the layout works better too. This isn't a testimonial for our particular vent, just a nod to putting good venting into a kitchen.
Old 2012-10-22, 05:36 PM   #15
e268

My new kitchen is in. I ended up using Ancona insert which has 300/450/600 cfm, and very well made. Quite quiet and powerful at 300 cfm. The timer switch turns the fan and the lights off after 10 minutes which is nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.