Will Watching 4:3 on 16:9 LCD Cause Burn-In? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2012-04-15, 06:10 PM   #1
whataboutbob
Rookie

Default Will Watching 4:3 on 16:9 LCD Cause Burn-In?

Just purchased my first HDTV (Samsung UN46D6500) - a LCD/LED display. At the moment I do not subscribe to any HD content so all my cable channels are SD or 4:3 format. I really hated the stretched out look and changed the display from 16:9 to 4:3 so at least the picture looked somewhat normal. However, upon reading the user's guide - it states "not to set your TV to 4:3 for a long time." It goes on to say the borders surrounding the video may cause image retention (screen burn). Has anyone had problems in this regard? Am I stuck watching the stretched picture in 16:9? Any thoughts or opinions?
whataboutbob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-15, 06:21 PM   #2
Jase88

I'm quite sure this question has been asked and answered many times over here at DHC.

The general consensus appears to be that extensive 4:3 display can cause some short-term burn-in. However, as implied, this is not a permanent issue that is overcome by reverting to 16x9 viewing after a short duration.

"Burn In" may not be the correct term here. Rather, short term residual artifacts from 4:3 aspect ratio may be visible.

From my own experience, using Sony Bravia LCD sets, I've never noticed this issue whatsoever after extensive 4:3 ratio viewing. I'm not someone who favours an image stretch...preferring to view in native aspect ratio.
Old 2012-04-15, 06:54 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the FAQ on Burn in. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

LCDs do not burn in. Watch 4:3 as 4:3 and 16:9 as 16:9 for the best Picture Quality.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-04-15, 10:05 PM   #4
PhotoJim

I'd feel free to watch in 4:3 format, but definitely treat yourself to digital cable and an HD box as you'll see a huge upgrade in the quality of your television.
PhotoJim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-15, 11:14 PM   #5
PPL4GOLF

My personal experience with LCD image persistence/retention is a bad one.

It happened on a Viewsonic 27" LCD built in 2005. The retention problem started about 2010. The persistence is very bad and visible and the worse part is it leaves the complement of the color of the image (ie after displaying something static and red, it leaves a very green tint). This is much, much, much worse when compared to a plasma that my brother burned in with 4:3 with faint vertical lines.

I have LCD monitors that have subjected to much worse abuse and they have no problem.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:03 PM   #6
Michael TLV

Greetings

I congratulated my aunt a few years ago for successfully burning in the 4:3 bars onto her LCD 40" display. Didn't think it was possible, but there it was ... right where the black bars normally sit on 4:3 viewing.

regards
Old 2012-04-17, 02:18 PM   #7

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I honestly don't know how this is done, if you turn the TV off once a day. LCDs have been used as computer monitors for many years and they do not burn in despite constant static images. I guess if you purchase a really inexpensive TV and leave it on 4:3 all the time, it might be possible to have some greyscale degradation, but I've never seen it on an LCD (and I've seen and optimized hundreds).

Today, with so much HD available, I don't think it'd be an issue. I don't even recommend stretching Plasma today, unless you don't have any HD or DVD/BD/movie, which is a real waste of an HDTV.

Of course, years ago, I did see burn-in a lot on CRTs, CRT-based RPTVs and Plasmas, however, with the huge amount of HD available today, I don't recall seeing any burn-in in probably three+ years.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:01 PM   #8
N0_SOUP_4U
Rookie

Unhappy LCD Burn In

I know that most experts agree that LCD flat panels are immune from burn in but I have found from experience that this is not true. I have a 5 year old Toshiba Regza 42" LCD Model # 42LX196 that developed severe ghost lines on both sides beginning definitively at the point where a 4:3 aspect picture would end and fading toward both edges of the screen. The grey discoloration resembles clouds. The same phenomenon is starting to occur along the top and bottom where the black bars are sometimes present from widescreen programming that does not match the screen's aspect ratio exactly. There is also a faint line that recently developed down the center as well which I cannot account for. The tv was professionally set up when it was new and when the lines became apparent, the same technician came to our house and checked the settings again. At that point (one year)the warranty was up and he told us the screen had permanent burn in from watching programming in 4:3 format. He told us that the "No Burn-In" claim made by LCD sales people was a myth and gave us a whitewash disc to use ($200 for the service call and all we got was a disc). Constant use of the disc did not help at all.
I now have a new problem with the power module and the set will not turn on at all but after some research I think that problem can be fixed for a few hundred dollars. I do not want to put any more $$ into fixing this unit unless there is also an easy fix to the Burn In problem described. Does anyone else have a similar experience or any advice?
N0_SOUP_4U is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-28, 04:11 PM   #9

If it is true greyscale degradation (LCDs don't "burn in" like plasmas or CRTs although the effect sounds like it's similar), then it's unlikely to be reversible. You could try watching for a few weeks without any "bars" to see if things get better. Make sure to turn the TV off once a day. (if you decide to fix it)

As mentioned in my previous post, LCDs have been utilized as computer monitors with static images for years without this effect being visible. I guess that some panels can show effects, although I've not seen it personally in hundreds of TVs during my optimization travels. The "default/torch" mode of TVs of yore could possibly play into this "degradation". Most TVs now go into a "standard", less bad mode. I noted that you had the TV calibrated.

I'm currently looking at an LCD computer monitor that is 8 years old. I can bring up a blank Word document with a perfectly white screen - no imperfections. Although there is a screensaver, the screen is usually "unsaved" for 6-12 hours each day with my and my wife's use of the computer. My "dock" has been positioned on the right side of this monitor for 8 years and I moved it to the bottom to check the right side of the monitor. No "degradation". I'm not saying you don't have it. It's just weird that you do. We hear of this occasionally, but not often and it's difficult to track down the similarities of these "rare" cases.
Old 2012-04-29, 01:52 AM   #10
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I had the same situation with my 6yr old Sony LCD RPTV. It wasn't so obvious at first but after a couple of years, there was a distinct line on both sides where the 4:3 had been when I would switch to an HD channel in 16:9. I could see it clearly from up close but from normal viewing distance it wasn't all that noticeable. I know it isn't supposed to be possible but, none the less, it was there. That set was recently replaced due to optical block issues typical for the type but the 'side bars' were still visible despite having been watching HD channels only for the last 2 or 3 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.