What are you watching on Blu-ray? (and discussion of said titles) - Page 111 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2012-03-28, 11:45 AM   #1651
mbfrosch

I have the following to watch, I'll try to remember to come back.

Natural Born Killers, Thor & Moneyball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-02, 01:17 AM   #1652
Lou Sytsma

Attack The Block

Think alien invasion done Shaun of the Dead style. Low budget UK film is a lot of fun.
Old 2012-04-03, 03:30 PM   #1653
Lou Sytsma

Source Code

An entertaining whodunit flick wrapped in a cloak of pseudo science which then invokes pure fantasy for the closing segment.

Jake Gyllenhaal, especially, and Michelle Monaghan really sell the movie with their engaging performances and chemistry.

Definitely worth a viewing.
Old 2012-04-08, 10:09 PM   #1654
eljay
DHC Supporter

The Incredible Hulk - An accidental overdose of gamma radiation causes scientist Bruce Banner to change into a powerful creature whenever he is angered. As he tries desperately to find a way to reverse the effects of the overdose, Bruce finds himself running from the military - which wants to use his blood as a serum to create super-soldiers - and battling a mad, ruthless commando who has turned himself into a lethally twisted version of Bruce's radiation-altered persona.

Comments: I didn't enjoy this movie very much when I rented it shortly after it was released on DVD. I thought that, decent special effects aside, it was an unnecessary and disappointing "re-start" of the franchise. I had enjoyed 2003's The Hulk and would have liked to see both Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly reprise their roles. I recently watched the movie on BD and I must say that I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. It had a reasonably-good story, good pacing, terrific special effects and great audio.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were perfect. And as far as LFE goes, this movie is a MONSTER!!
Old 2012-04-13, 12:38 PM   #1655
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

Default Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Additional reading of the film from Wiki, here

Am a fan of Gary Oldman. This has to be his greatest work ... incredible acting performance. This film is, and surely will become in years to follow, a great classic to have in ones collection. Outstanding film, I think.
Old 2012-04-14, 12:25 AM   #1656
lars

This is a film that rewards attention, and pay attention you must as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy respects its audience with intelligence. A classic spy thriller that gets even better with repeat viewing.

If you haven't seen this film and think that you would like to, don't click on the Wiki link as it reveals the mole.
Old 2012-04-15, 07:30 AM   #1657
eljay
DHC Supporter

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - At the request of patriarch Henrik Vanger, and with the help of psychologically-troubled computer hacker Lisbeth Salander, disgraced reporter Mikael Blomkvist digs into the dark and disturbing past of the Vanger family to solve the forty-year-old mystery of young Harriet Vanger's disappearance.

Comments: A decent but thoroughly unnecessary re-make.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were very good.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:09 PM   #1658
eljay
DHC Supporter

Thumbs down

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Retired British secret agent George Smiley is tasked by his government to root out a suspected Soviet mole within the upper levels of British Intelligence.

Comments: A somewhat interesting story and some fine acting simply can't make up for this movie's overly-scattered timeline, glacial pacing and underwhelming finale. Pity.

Old 2012-04-15, 03:51 PM   #1659
eljay
DHC Supporter

The Descendants - Honolulu lawyer Matt King's life has become very complicated. His seriously-injured and comatose wife is dying; he wants to keep his immediate family together, but he's not sure how to reconnect with his somewhat estranged daughters; his extended family is counting on him - as sole trustee of a massive real-estate trust - to make the very lucrative decision to sell their land to respected developer Don Holitzer; he has discovered that his wife cheated on him with real estate agent Brian Speer; and, to top it all off, he finds out that Speer - Holitzer's business associate and brother-in-law - stands to earn massive commissions from development of the family's land, should King decide to sell it to Holitzer. What's a simple guy to do when life is so very complicated?

Comments: This was a quirky movie, ranging from semi-serious drama to goofy comedy. The pace was leisurely, the performances were decent and the story was interesting and, overall, the movie was enjoyable.

Old 2012-04-15, 07:54 PM   #1660
eljay
DHC Supporter

Hugo - Hugo, a mechanically-inclined orphan, spends his days tending to the clocks at the Montparnasse train station in Paris, and his spare time trying to complete the restoration, begun by his father, of an enigmatic automaton. Shortly after he is caught stealing spare parts by Georges Méliès, the owner of the station's toy shop, Hugo befriends the owner's god-daughter, Isabelle, and, with her help, completes the restoration of the automaton. A message generated by the machine leads them to discover that Isabelle's "Papa Georges" was once a famous director who, having fallen on hard times, saw most of his catalogue of films destroyed before he disappeared from public view and was eventually presumed dead. With the help of René Tabard - a film historian well-versed in Méliès' work - Hugo and Isabelle seek to restore "Papa Georges" to his former glory, and to revive his remaining films for the benefit of all cinema-lovers.

Comments: Although it had a gentle story and was chock full of wonderful imagery and cinematography, this movie also contained far too much filler (such as the scenes with Borat and those with the "dog people") and had a run-time that was far too long (at the one-hour mark, the movie felt as though it was almost over). It could have been so much more, but it was mostly just a disappointment.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were perfect.
Old 2012-05-13, 09:28 AM   #1661
eljay
DHC Supporter

The Thing (2011) - A team of scientists based in the Antarctic stumbles upon a mysterious spaceship buried deep below the frigid surface for thousands of years. Nearby, they discover a perfectly-preserved alien body which - left entombed in a block of ice - they return to the base for subsequent transport back to America for research purposes. Unable to restrain his curiosity, one of the scientists unwisely bores into the ice to retrieve a small sample from the frozen creature, inadvertently reviving it and unleashing a nightmare of carnage and destruction upon the occupants of that base and, if they fail to stop it, possibly onto the rest of the world.

Comments: My wife and I weren't expecting much from this movie, but it turned out to be reasonably thrilling and entertaining. The creature - in its various iterations - was wonderfully creepy and, at times, downright grotesque. Cool.

Old 2012-05-20, 09:28 PM   #1662
eljay
DHC Supporter

12 Monkeys - In the late 20th century, a virus is unleashed - reputedly by an organization known as the 12 Monkeys - that kills 5 billion people, contaminates the surface of the Earth and drives the remainder of the human race underground. Decades later, convict James Cole - in exchange for the promise of a full pardon - agrees to be sent back in time to locate and to return to the future a pure sample of that virus, so that an antidote can be formulated. Cole's initial, and inadvertent, visit to 1990 triggers a series of events which, once he finds himself correctly "re-directed" to 1996, resolve themselves in a most unexpected way.

Comments: Despite an interesting concept, a decent story and some solid acting from Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt, this quirky Gilliam flick (does he make any other kind?) suffers from story-telling and pacing that are a bit uneven, and from a run time that's about a half hour too long. That being said, it has held up pretty well since I first (and last) saw it in 1995, and it was worth the re-visit.

Blu-ray: PQ was clean but not particularly noteworthy. AQ was a bit hollow/thin sounding at times, but reasonably well-balanced and, overall, acceptable.
Old 2012-05-26, 10:19 PM   #1663
eljay
DHC Supporter

Thumbs down

The Grey - A small group of Alaskan oil workers survive a crash in the Arctic wilderness, only to find themselves with few supplies, at the mercy of a harsh environment...and hunted by a pack of wolves that is determined to kill them all.

Comments: Good story potential is completely squandered by a series of laughably improbable situations, as well as uninteresting characters and dialogue. What a disappointment!

Blu-ray: PQ was very good, with muted tones and grain that gave it a bleak, rugged look and feel. The immersive and dynamic AQ was excellent.
Old 2012-06-03, 07:56 PM   #1664
eljay
DHC Supporter

Paul - While on tour in America to attend a comic-con and to visit some well-known ET sites, Graeme and Clive - a couple of British sci-fi nerds - are surprised and then befriended by Paul, a long-stranded extraterrestrial who is trying to reach the rendezvous point where a ship awaits to take him home. Graeme and Clive are willing to help their new friend, but getting him to his destination won't be easy: Government agents are on his tail, and the head of the secret ET project would prefer to see Paul dead rather than free.

Comments: This was a very silly, but surprisingly enjoyable comedy.

Old 2012-06-04, 05:00 PM   #1665
Lou Sytsma

Agreed elijay on your Dragon tatoo review. Far prefer the original. Especially the way it handles the last 30 minutes compared to the remake.

Tags
blu-ray