Fox Sportsworld Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2012-04-13, 11:27 PM   #1
cheadlebeagle

Default Fox Sportsworld Canada

I just saw something scroll by on the t.v that Shaw will no longer be carrying this channel as of April 17. Does anyone know what will replace it? I don't watch it anymore other than the Monday and Friday 7pm Sportsreport shows to see Bobby McMahon so will be able to drop this tier unless something decent is replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-14, 02:19 AM   #2
NB Josh
Veteran

The channel is shutting down effective April 30. As far as I know, no replacement has been announced yet.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:06 AM   #3
doglips

Angry sooner than you think

Just got this, Apr.17 is shut down date:

Quote:
Important information regarding
your television programming

Dear Shaw Customer,

At Shaw, we are committed to offering you quality products and services at the best possible value. To continue bringing you a great entertainment experience each month we wanted to notify you of a change in your programming lineup.

Effective April 17, 2012, Fox Sports World will be removed from our channel lineup. As a pick and pay subscriber to Fox Sports World, you are currently paying $2.95 per month for this channel. As of April 17, billing for Fox Sports World will stop and any pre-payments you have made beyond that date will be credited on your next invoice. Click here to learn more.

Shaw remains committed to offering you great programming at the best value. To find out more about our services please visit SHAW.CA or call 1.888.225.6793.

Thank you for choosing Shaw.

Sincerely,
Shaw Cablesystems G.P.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:12 AM   #4
cheadlebeagle

Thank you for this. It's sad what has happened to this channel as it was the main one for Premier League football at one time. Anyway I can drop Sports 2 tier now.
Old 2012-04-14, 12:23 PM   #5
doglips

While there's lots of epl coverage now, fox was the only channel I get showing french league games with english commentary and that I'll really miss.
Old 2012-04-14, 01:25 PM   #6
NB Josh
Veteran

Al Jazeera owns Ligue 1 rights starting next season anyway. I kind of doubt they will still be on Euroworld Sports or TV5. Nobody really knows what they will do with them though.
Old 2012-04-14, 03:27 PM   #7
Viper550

You know, if Shaw were smart, they would have:

1. Reached a deal to have the FSWC carriers not carrying EWS be able to switch it to that channel.

2. Had EWS actually re-branded as Fox Soccer, much like its American counterpart.
Old 2012-04-14, 08:08 PM   #8
NB Josh
Veteran

Why pay for the license for the Fox name when they will share no similar programming come August (except for Europa League, maybe)? If anything wait and reach a deal with Al Jazeera to become beIN Sports Canada. Will probably carry a lot more weight for what the channel will air in a few months.

That way they could keep Ligue 1 rights, plus if they gained rights to Serie A, La Liga or Europa League, they could rely on Al Jazeera's productions around the world.

Shaw isn't responsible for anyone carrying EWS, except themselves I suppose. That is up to Corus and Telelatino.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:12 PM   #9
zbla
Rookie

Have you been reading Oliver Tse (huhu888) postings on Big Soccer?
Old 2012-04-16, 04:27 PM   #10
NB Josh
Veteran

Yes, which for the most part are just ramblings.

I'm certainly not saying what I just posted would happen. Simply pointing out branding Euroworld Sport with the Fox name makes no sense really.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:16 PM   #11
zbla
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
Yes, which for the most part are just ramblings.

I'm certainly not saying what I just posted would happen. Simply pointing out branding Euroworld Sport with the Fox name makes no sense really.
In many ways we got too much soccer in too short a time. In 2001 it was Fox Sports World Canada that promised so much and then it just died a slow embarassing death. Gol TV had tons of games, lots of Bundesligia, lots of Spanish league, central and south american leagues and now it is showing lots of Toronto FC spin off shows. Setanta came and ended up losing french and dutch league as far as I can remember and then showing hour after hour of Setanta Connected. Euro World sports shows hours upon hours of Europa League some of which is months old. If we could do without all games lives, 1 or 1 1/2 channels of soccer programming could probably cover it all.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:10 PM   #12
NB Josh
Veteran

For sure. And now Sportsnet has added Europa League beginning next season. So now three leagues are getting coverage on one mainstream network.

Setanta dropped rights to Ligue 1 because they found it didn't get good ratings. Same thing for the Russian league.

GolTV could be a spectacular channel if MLSE invested in it and stopped relying on GolTV US for its coverage. MLSE could afford just about anything, including doing an original studio show for La Liga and Bundesliga. They could afford to show games that GolTV can't show in the US. They could afford the Dutch league. The problem is MLSE seems to want to use La Liga to bring in subscribers, then use that money for TFC programming. Which is fine, but I think the channel could be so much more.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:57 AM   #13
Andrew1

The channel is still on Shaw Direct (satellite). So assuming it is shutting down at the end of the month where will their (very few) matches from Serie A be broadcast, if anywhere? Does RAI International show all the FSW matches? More coverage at The Score? (I can't get EuroWorld on Shaw Direct so that's not an option for me).
Old 2012-04-17, 04:11 PM   #14
NB Josh
Veteran

The season ends two weeks after it shuts down anyway. And the final day all games at the same time. Next year a new contract takes effect, nobody really knows who will show games.

I think RAI does show a Serie A game in every timeslot, including midweek games. TheScore will still have a Saturday afternoon and two Sunday 9am ET games through the end of the season.

Speaking of Serie A, I noticed TLN has moved Sunday 2:45 games exclusively to Euroworld Sport. So much for most of the country seeing Milan v Inter in a couple weeks.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:17 AM   #15
cm3020prob

Quote:
I noticed TLN has moved Sunday 2:45 games exclusively to Euroworld Sport. So much for most of the country seeing Milan v Inter in a couple weeks.
Leverage tactic used in august 2010 by Rogers Sportsnet when they moved Blue Jays games to Sportsnet One, having the domino effect of cable/satellite subscribers calling their provider to carry the new specialty channel for a high price.

Off course Fox Sports World Canada will be up until the end on Shaw Direct, the same service is also used for distribution to smaller cable provider...