ActionTec SSID Backup Static LAN IPs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2012-04-09, 03:54 PM   #1
ArtM

Default ActionTec SSID Backup Static LAN IPs

Questions on the FibreOP ActionTec Router Installed with this service:

1) Can I change the SSID from the installation SSID to something a little a little less obvious & more secure

2) Is there anyway of backing up the settings on this unit ? Does the 'Restore to Factory Defaults' restore the installation settings - or raw factory settings ?

3) Is there any way to force specific Ethernet wired connections to specific internal LAN IPs; perhaps by MAC address as some routers allow ? This problem becomes more acute when port forwarding to an IP whose device is not constant because of DHCP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-09, 05:53 PM   #2
Tridus

Cool

1) Yep, you can change that to anything you want.

2) Not that I've seen. Factory default is going to be before any configuration done in your home.

3) Again, not that I've seen.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:09 AM   #3
ArtM

1) OK, was only worried the installed SSID had some signifance to the rest of the router setup.

2) Right - I still don't see any way of backing up the settings.

3) OK - It looks like the better way than 'Port Forwarding' is to use the 'Advanced Setup-Applications' screen. With a device attached, you can select the device in step 1, the Application Category & Application in step 2 & Add it in step 3. The Rules then are automatically set up at the bottom of the screen AND at the bottom of the Port Forwarding screen. Presumably the rules are automatically updated should the device IP change with DHCP. This actually should work pretty well. The only downside is if one needs the device IP elsewhere in the network - and it changes with DHCP.