Tired of Rogers...need a change...help needed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2012-04-04, 08:23 AM   #1
bbtfastback

Default Tired of Rogers...need a change...help needed

Love the convenience of Rogers
Love watching sports live when I want
Love the PVRs
Love the fact that my wife can watch without coaching from me.
Hate the cost
Hate the service

My question is, what do you guys suggest for watching hockey and to a lesser extent some of the other sports. I'm not worried about TV shows, as those are more readily available and I can watch those later. But nothing replaces live sports and that's the only reason I'm staying with Rogers.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-04, 08:47 AM   #2
cyberham

For Canadian sports, probably pay TV is your only answer. Shaw Direct Digital Lite satellite at $27.41/month (all networks in HD including TSN) is probably as cheap as you can go. For American sports (pro and college), if Ku-band FTA wild feeds don't have enough sports for you, you are an addict. If not enough, then you need C-band FTA too.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:19 AM   #3
bbtfastback

Really care about hockey mainly, Blue Jays baseball and football on Sundays...

The user interface on Rogers, Bell etc is just so clean. I'm assuming FTA is getting there in terms of an interface and that channels vary?? Are there PVR functions in FTA?
Old 2012-04-04, 10:52 AM   #4
Classof83

A lot of FTA receivers have the ability to add a hard drive for PVR functionality. The interfaces aren't always as simple as Rogers / Bell, but once you understand things, it's really not that bad to use. Some receivers are a bit more difficult to use than others as well.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:03 AM   #5
Kraven

BB- What's your location? Is OTA an option for your region? Am located just south of Montreal and pick up 26 HD channels with 2 antennas.

For Hockey, There is NHL Centre Ice streaming for 20$ a month during the season. My PS3 and Roku device both have it. All games, quad split screen, full PVR controls... pretty sweet.

For FTA, there is NO NFL football game you can't find on Sundays, Mondays etc. I suggest you go to http://channels.drsat.ca/ and check out the free channels and couple this w/ the wild feeds.

Again, your location is what will dictate what you have. If you live in the middle of nowhere like Cyberham then a Large dish is feasible (C band) but if you're in the middle of Toronto then it ain't gonna happen.

Cheers, K

PS- I noticed FTA is not wife friendly.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:10 AM   #6
bbtfastback

I;m in Ottawa. Would need something wife friendly.

I've heard about Center Ice streaming - that's a must for sure.

Any other solutions if FTA won't work?
Old 2012-04-04, 11:12 AM   #7
cyberham

Middle of nowhere?! Watch it. I'm in beautiful Halifax Regional Municipality. We get 3 high-quality (and high definition) OTA Canadian network stations (CBC, CTV, Global) on just rabbit ears.

OTA is good advice for Canadian stuff because it's no subscription and maybe better quality than alternatives. And doesn't even require high speed Internet.

I wouldn't worry about the user interface. Once you are familiar with them, they're easy. Even my old S9 has a PVR. New receivers have them too.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:42 PM   #8
Kraven

This might be an easier question: What dish size would the wife approve?

Cheers, K
Old 2012-04-05, 07:51 AM   #9
bbtfastback

as long as it can't be seen, doesn't matter?
Old 2012-04-05, 12:43 PM   #10
Kraven

If you seriously want FTA, then its definetely going to be seen. Most of us here have dishes ranging from 3.3 to 12 feet.

For KU, 39" is ideal, for C* its minimum 6 feet.

You have a decent TV fool result for your area (and a few interesting channels not available here in MTL like CITYtv, Omni, Sun.

You might want to consider OTA... or change wives

Cheers, K
Old 2012-04-05, 12:58 PM   #11
cyberham

On tvfool, I count 11 OTA digital stations receivable in Ottawa at less than 10 miles from the tower. That is likely 11 stations receivable with just pointy indoor amplified rabbit ears like I'm using. I'm 14 miles from the towers in Halifax and probably Ottawa signals are as strong or stronger than here. Following that, most can find room to install a 39" ku motorized FTA dish. Tell her she can hang laundry on it to dry and save money by not using the dryer.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:35 PM   #12
HDTV101
Veteran

I just gave up on the wife and moved into a tent with my BUD!

Old 2012-04-09, 06:16 PM   #13
Kraven

Ah...the simple life! I approve 110%.

Living off the land, camp fire w/ beer while watching the NHL playoffs... is there anything else better in life?

Cheers, K
Old 2012-04-11, 03:47 PM   #14
vondertrenk
Rookie

Ahhhh
Lucky guy!

Last edited by vondertrenk; 2012-04-11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:00 PM   #15
vondertrenk
Rookie

Kraven, have you already installed your BUD? I just did my post (3" schedule 40, 1,20 mt AGL), painted with en ecollogically friendly colour. Added a 1-1/2" PVC pipe for control and coax cable. (Note: how do you post a picture? I tried at the menu Icon "Image" but it asks for an URL only, no chance to upload a picture from my computer))