At what age/weight/height can a child legally ride in the front seat - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-03-24, 10:27 AM   #16
Kevin007

my son is 15 months old... he has been sitting in the front seat with me in my 2011 ranger since he was heavy enough to sit in a forward facing seat (about 4 months now) when he was born I had a 4 door f150 and always put the rear facing seat in the front with me when my wife was not with us.. it was more fun that way...Heck.... as soon as he could stand... I go in the woods and let him stand on the front seat between my legs, and hold the frigging wheel....now 5 months later when we go in the woods with the ranger... i honestly think he knows how to steer.... lol
I cant wait for the days this summer when I get my 14 year old nephew to drive when we are sitting in the box...these damn safy laws are for people who are crazy and dont know how to watch a child..remember when we were kids?

.dont get me started on no cell phone while driving....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-25, 12:49 AM   #17
cdn_tbird

Found this interesting tidbit in a Transport Canada report published in Nov. 2008.

Quote:
Two other risk groups may be better off with an air bag on-off switch:

Children age 12 and under. Children in this age group can be transported safely in the front seat if they are properly belted, they do not lean forward, and their seat is moved all the way back. But children sometimes sit or lean far forward and may slip out of their shoulder belts, putting themselves at risk. The simple act of leaning far forward to change the radio station can momentarily place even a belted child in danger. If a vehicle owner or lessee has no option but to transport a child age 12 or under in the front seat, the owner or lessee should consider the use of an on-off switch for the passenger air bag. Since air bag performance differs from vehicle model to vehicle model, the vehicle owner or lessee should consult the vehicle manufacturer for additional information.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...age4_e-184.htm
Old 2012-03-27, 01:53 PM   #18
rpr

@Edvale, I hope you meant a rear seat with a shoulder belt? If you really only have a lap belt, then the only safe option would be in the front with the shoulder belt.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:15 AM   #19
bolmsted
Veteran

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/seatbelt.shtml

Children who have outgrown their child car seat have not developed the physical characteristics and size for adult seat belts to be fully effective. They must use a booster seat.
Booster seats are required for children under the age of eight, weighing 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lbs) and who stand less than 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall.
A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:
  • Child turns eight years old
  • Child weighs 36 kg (80 lb.)
  • Child is 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall
Infants under 9 kg (20 lb.) must be secured in a rear-facing infant car seat. Toddlers 9-18 kg (20 - 40 lb.) who are about a year old and can also pull themselves unassisted to a standing position should travel in a forward-facing child car seat secured by both a seat belt (or LATCH/UAS system) and a tether strap, attached to an anchor bolted into the vehicle's frame.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:23 PM   #20
XM4243

Quote:
.these damn safy laws are for people who are crazy and dont know how to watch a child.
You mean people like this?

Quote:
as soon as he could stand... I go in the woods and let him stand on the front seat between my legs, and hold the frigging wheel....now 5 months later when we go in the woods with the ranger... i honestly think he knows how to steer.... lol
Old 2012-04-05, 08:19 AM   #21
edvale

Location: Pickering, ON, PN50C590 SM, LN-T4661 (RIP), 2xS2 TiVo, DVP5960/37

@rpr, Yes, I did mean just lap belt. '88 Mustang.
I did end up going with the front seat option.
Thanks for all the replies.