Hot Water Tank Rental Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2012-03-23, 08:12 AM   #91
callummcgraw

Default DE Cancelled the changes to hot water tank rental

From the DE website:

http://www.directenergy.com/EN/Ontar...io-Energy.aspx

Effective March 15,2012

Direct Energy values our customers and is taking great care to listen to them.

There will be no changes to your Terms and Conditions as a result of the letter you received.

We apologize for the confusion.
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-23, 05:42 PM   #92
peano
Veteran

Yes, but if you read the "B" terms, the only way to cancel your agreement is to buy out your water heater and possibly the venting...at the exorbitant prices they set!!

http://residential.directenergy.com/...agreement.aspx

I always thought previously they had a provision where you could cancel the agreement without having to buy out the water heater.

I still cannot believe anybody still rents a water heater. It is a waste of money and DE does NOT cover damages to your home if the unit leaks.

What a scam they have going!!!
Old 2012-03-23, 06:15 PM   #93
recneps77
Veteran

Yes, backpeddling or not, take this event as a wake up call and return or buy out that heater now.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:40 PM   #94
HDTV101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peano View Post
Yes, but if you read the "B" terms, the only way to cancel your agreement is to buy out your water heater and possibly the venting...at the exorbitant prices they set!!

http://residential.directenergy.com/...agreement.aspx

I always thought previously they had a provision where you could cancel the agreement without having to buy out the water heater.

I still cannot believe anybody still rents a water heater. It is a waste of money and DE does NOT cover damages to your home if the unit leaks.

What a scam they have going!!!
"B" terms, is for anyone that rented the tank after September 2010... after this time if you did you are stuck and must buy the tank to get out of the contract...

The letters were sent to everyone that rented the tanks before September 2010... they were trying to force EVERYONE over to these new terms... EVERYONE would have to buy the tanks out after April 1, 2012... I got the letter too... the first thing that came to my mind was what a bunch of scumbags these DE guys are!.

I'm glad it turned into a PR nightmare for them... they deserved it. Who in the heck over there at DE was thinking that "we can just trick everyone into the new contract"... like did they really think no one would read that letter?
Old 2012-03-23, 07:43 PM   #95
HDTV101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
Yes, backpeddling or not, take this event as a wake up call and return or buy out that heater now.
My 10 year old tank was listed in the letter with a buyout of $700 !!!!!!!!
That's the cost of a brand new tank of the same size at Home Depot.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:07 PM   #96
recneps77
Veteran

So return it and get a brand new one from home depot. 6 year warranty, paid in full with 4 years of your $25 rent payment.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:19 AM   #97
jeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101 View Post
My 10 year old tank was listed in the letter with a buyout of $700 !!!!!!!!
That's the cost of a brand new tank of the same size at Home Depot.
My 12 year old tank was listed as ~$300 in the guide. I called their buyout department and requested a buyout quote. They took 4 days to get back to me but the final amount was $114+ tax. I bought it. In 5 months this thing is paid for. If it dies beforehand, I'll replace it like any other appliance.

My parents had a 15 year old rental water heater start malfunctioning late last year (the fan started buzzing before eventually dying altogether). When we called DE to repair THEIR water heater, they refused and insisted on replacing it. The catch was my parents had to pay $180 to replace the exhaust piping as the standards had changed since the original house was built (1996). Well, I told them it should be their responsibility to make their tank work. After much haggling, they reduced the price to $125 but refused to waive it altogether. After 15 years of renting, the one time my parents call for service, they have to pay?? Shortly after that incident, I decided I also wanted nothing to with Direct Energy.
Old 2012-03-24, 07:54 PM   #98
mr weather
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneral View Post
The catch was my parents had to pay $180 to replace the exhaust piping as the standards had changed since the original house was built (1996). Well, I told them it should be their responsibility to make their tank work. After much haggling, they reduced the price to $125 but refused to waive it altogether. After 15 years of renting, the one time my parents call for service, they have to pay??
That's a gas code change. Your parents would have had to pay for the exhaust upgrade anyway, whether DE did it or they brought in their own contractor.

I had to upgrade my venting as well when my water heater died a couple of years ago. I agree the cost is a scam. There is $40 in parts at best and the job takes all of about 10 minutes.
Old 2012-03-25, 02:32 PM   #99
HDTV101
Veteran

Yes current code now requires that you use the white IPEX System 636 pipe. In the old days you could use ABS black drain pipe.

Since the vent piping is part of the home... what if you just replaced it yourself... for $40 ... then called DE back to change the tank. There is nothing that says only they are allowed to change it... it's your pipe.

http://youtu.be/SvvjFr5GzAI
Old 2012-03-25, 10:36 PM   #100
TKG26
Veteran

IF its installed properly to code.. DE installers will swap tank for tank and connect to the new 636 venting you have installed.
Currently its 225 up to 15ft or 2.75$ rental..
Old 2012-04-03, 01:35 PM   #101
compguy

As I mentioned previously, Direct Energy = bunch of scam artists. Be extremely careful in how you deal with them or better yet, do what I did and ditch them completely. It's about one year now since I walked away from them and couldn't be happier. My gas bills are the lowest they've ever been and I don't have to deal with any nonsense. Because of their recent stupidness I am going to help everyone in my family ditch them as well. Their recent attempt to try and change the contract terms seems to have been the last straw for many people. Serves them right.