Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 38 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-03-07, 01:46 PM   #556
Jase88

No doubt the problem resolves once the time change occurs. This I can confirm. It's the days leading up to the change which are frustrating....
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-07, 08:41 PM   #557
Jase88

Default CM7000PAL

Had a weird issue today where I couldn't record on one tuner and watch a program on another. Seems the device couldn't access both of the tuners...

Reboot solved the issue.
Old 2012-03-08, 03:34 PM   #558
Schmerpy

I have this problem pretty much year round with my CM7000PAL - that it randomly starts recording a program here and there 1 hour off of the scheduled time.

One of the many, many bugs in this mediocre product.
Schmerpy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-09, 04:30 PM   #559
Jase88

Default CM7400 (Channel Master TV) Update from CM

abnutcracker posted this info in another CM product thread. However, I felt it was important enough to repeat here for those with the CM7400 or considering a purchase of this device:

(February 10, 2012)

Quote:
Dear Channel Master TV Users,

Channel Master TV has been the most exciting product launch for Channel Master in several years. It has been judged by the industry’s top reviewers and voted best of 2012 by Electronic House Magazine. So we were surprised when we heard reports of heat related functionality problems and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

First and foremost, Channel Master TV was thoroughly tested in both real world and lab environments prior to the release of the product with no indication of temperature related functionality issues. We know that most DVR’s will run warmer than standard set-top boxes without a hard disk drive and DVR capabilities. This is true for most cable and satellite DVR’s. But some users have expressed their concern that the CM7400 is operating considerably warmer than they have experienced with other products. At the same time we continue to receive emails and calls from users saying that they are very happy with how the CM7400 performs and that it is the best option in its category. What can explain all of this?

We discovered early on that the timing we programmed to retrieve guide data was incorrect and would cause the CM7400 to lock-up while downloading the PSIP electronic program guide in certain markets. To fix this we adjusted the PSIP download timing to accommodate all markets regardless of when the PSIP data is received. On January 18, 2012 we released a software update that corrected this issue as well as added new features and other general enhancements.

After the software update we were pleased to hear from customers that the update had resolved the lock-up issues they had been experiencing. How does this relate to the temperature concern? Well unfortunately at this point many consumers were speculating that the lock-up issue was due to the temperature of the CM7400 and many users commented on this in product reviews, forums and blogs. This has left many users and potential users concerned about the temperature even though temperature had no influence on the lock-up issue. Through our testing we are still unable to reproduce issues related to temperature.

Channel Master has been committed to quality for over 60 years. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused. To stand behind our commitment to quality we will be extending the CM7400 warranty period to a full 1 year warranty from purchase date. In addition, we will continue to make software enhancements that will improve the overall functionality of the CM7400, including improved channel scanning performance, new advanced features and potentially new content partners.

Our future road map is focused on Channel Master TV, new innovation, and the future of television. With any new innovation there will be some bumps in the road but we want our customers to know that we are committed and strive to have the best quality and most innovative products.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your Channel Master TV unit to the retailer where you purchased it from for a full refund within the time frame specified in your retailer’s standard return policy.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Channel Master
Old 2012-03-12, 02:22 PM   #560
farsenea
Rookie

Location: St-Bruno, QC, CDN, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d60b5c96b29d427
Unhappy CM7400 freezing problem

Now that I get good results from my OTA setup, I decided to go for the CM7400 to be able to record stuff. I did update the software to the latest version but, I still get picture freezing problems. In fact, it is even worst (e.g. it happen faster) now that I have stronger signal after installing a CM7777 to my setup.

Is there anybody around my location (south of Montreal) that manage to get the unit to work properly ?
farsenea is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-12, 03:38 PM   #561
Steve Smart

Default CM7400 Freezing

If by freeze you mean "the picture freezes but the volume continues on normally", I have seen this only on extra-low strength recordings - recordings so bad that the picture is dropping out regularly and the sound is garbled. The 7400 tries to follow along, but can't always keep up. Pressing Commercial Skip gets the picture and sound back in sync. You can then back it up a little so you don't miss the whole 30 seconds.

Actually, this is preferable to what the 7000PAL does in the same situation - it just stops recording when the signal drops off.

If by "freeze" you mean the whole unit becomes unresponsive to commands from the remote, I find it best to stop pressing buttons and wait for the lag to catch up. Only once or twice have I found it necessary to turn the machine off (standby) and then on again from the power button on the front of the box.

There is also talk in another thread about the 7400 being more sensitive to overpowering the tuner. Haven't really seen it myself but perhaps the CM7777 is messing with your stronger channels.
Steve Smart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-12, 03:46 PM   #562
farsenea
Rookie

Location: St-Bruno, QC, CDN, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d60b5c96b29d427

I refer to the signal reception stopping and the image freezing but the unit is responsive in all other ways - I can even go back and listen to a recording (I manage to get 1 done). When it freeze, the signal bars all stay grey instead of red/yellow/green for all channels. It does not fix it it I close and reopen the unit: I need to unplug the power for a while for the signal reception and image to come back.

Do you have the link to this other tread of the potential side effect of the CM7777 with stronger signal on the CM7400 ?

Thanks
Old 2012-03-12, 04:34 PM   #563
Steve Smart

Farsenea

Hmmm. It happens when watching live TV as well as on recordings? The only thing I've seen like that is when I'm using channel up/down to run through all the channels. I have 1 or 2 channels that are there only some of the time, and sometimes the unit will "freeze" on a blank channel and not proceed to the next channel up or down. Again, a small wait is all that's needed to recover control.

I've found the number one problem with most DVR/PVRs is how they deal with weak channels, including those that are only received part of the time. The firmware designers seem to think you will receive a set number of channels at a given strength day in and day out - which is simply not the reality of OTA viewing imho.

It still sounds like a signal strength issue, especially since the strength meter shows no signal when it freezes. Does it freeze on all channels, or only on some? Most of the time or only occasionally? Do the strength meters for the 7400 and your TV seem to match (it's hard to tell with the 7400's colour-coded scheme)?

As for the thread concerning tuner sensitivity we shouldn't be promoting competing forums, but I'd imagine a google search for "CM7400 tuner sensitivity" or "CM7400 overpowering tuner" would turn up several results. It all seems to be hearsay, anyways.

To answer your original question, despite minor quirks (which I have seen on every DVR I have ever owned) the CM7400 functions pretty much as advertised. Not the most glowing recommendation, but...

Good luck.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:52 PM   #564
farsenea
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. The freezing happen while watching live TV from the DVR. I even got a case where it froze while closed because it was blank when I open the unit. It can happen anywhere while watching, in the guide, while looking at a channel or during channel switching. When it freeze, I can switch channel or go to the guide but all channel will show no signal (all grey bars). When frozen, the only way out is to unplug the power, wait for a while and plug it back - even the reset in the menu does not fix it.

Before putting the CM7777, I had some found channel with weak signal (only red bars in the "manage channel" section) but it could stay "alive" for 1~2 hours (even got it still working after 24 hours once). Now that I have the CM7777, all found channels are in the green zone but the freeze happen also faster, usually within 1 hour. I am not sure if is freeze on all channel, I will try to start it and let it on each on them to see if it change something (good point).

The overall signal strength is always a little less on each channel on the CM7400 compare to my TV (Toshiba 42ZV650U).

I would be happy to only use the unit for recording & replay, using my TV tuner for live watching but it would need to be a little bit more stable for that... :-)
Old 2012-03-12, 08:20 PM   #565
Steve Smart

I rarely use the 7400 as a tuner, but most of the freezes/delays I have seen are attributable to poor signal strength while recording or mashing buttons on the remote too quickly.

Before you got the 7400, how would you assess your reception? Steady and reliable, or variable? Do you see a lot of pixelation, or does the picture remain clear all evening? If a channel is steady and watchable on your TV but causes the 7400 to freeze, perhaps it's a defective unit. It may be more sensitive, but that's not normal behaviour for the 7400 tuner.

Try recording your strongest channel, while simultaneously watching the same channel on your TV. The results should be identical.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:29 PM   #566
farsenea
Rookie

Before the CM7400 & CM7777, reception was steady & reliable on most of the channel and with no much pixelation except on rare case. I do have a situation from time to time with one of the channel: it cut and come back but mostly with bad weather. My antenna is pointed to optimize the far away channel so, my local channel are coming from "the side". Those local channel have stong signal but one on them is cutting sometime - not pixelation but nothing for a second and then back to normal: can this cause trouble ?
Old 2012-03-12, 09:41 PM   #567
Steve Smart

I'm not saying it's the cause of your trouble, but obviously the 7400 is sensitive to lost signals and will freeze up in response. As I said before, the 7000PAL is also sensitive but tends to just stop recording if the signal is lost momentarily. Neither response is acceptable imho - lost recordings are lost, whatever the cause. I've got an old standard def ATSC DVR that will happily record 4 hours of black screen if that's what it receives.

That's why I suggested recording something and watching at the same time. That way you can compare the results and see if the 7400 is having trouble where the TV isn't. Whether that's a sensitive tuner or a defective unit, it still makes the 7400 useless in your situation.

Generally speaking, a strong signal should not be cutting in and out, even a little. That implies the signal isn't that strong, or you have other issues like multipath (trees). As always, your individual situation may be different from what I've experienced.

Keep at it, and good luck.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:44 PM   #568
Jase88

Quote:
how do you get a epg on the unit (CM7000Pal) without being able to enter a postal code on it? i seriously want to buy one but i am disturbed by the info on the lack of ability to program this thing ? and what other ota dvr are available now ?
(asked in PM by a member in the London, ON area)

There are two methods this DVR uses to receive EPG data: (1) TVGOS (linked to a ZIP code), or (2) PSIP (data sent out by the stations themselves).

The former provides up to 7 days of data for stations within the TVGOS host station's local area. The latter--if provided by the station--typically provides 12 hours or so. Some stations offer several days of PSIP data (such as TVO), or up to a week (CBC's digital English stations, currently).

In London, even if you manage to receive a US TVGOS host station (usually PBS stations), it may not provide data for local London and area stations. You may wish to ask in the London reception thread for clarification.

Either way, in London, most stations offer PSIP data (exception would be CHCH). And even if they didn't, you can still program the DVR to record shows on that station.

This particular DVR is easy to program. Here's a tip of what I do in my area:

Locally for me, I receive WNED Buffalo PBS, which means that I receive TVGOS data for the Buffalo area stations and CFTO Toronto. If a US network program is available on local Canadian stations, such as CHCH, I set the program to record on the American network, then edit the program to change the channel to the Canadian station carrying the program.

This works well for me for shows such as "Jimmy Kimmel Live". It airs on ABC and CHCH Hamilton at the same time. However, as CHCH doesn't offer PSIP, I simply edit the channel after setting the recording for the ABC affiliate in Buffalo. And presto! It records at precisely the correct time on CHCH with having to set start/stop times, etc.

With regards to competing DVR products: Unfortunately I haven't done much research on the subject. You're welcome to explore the DVR & PVR Recorders thread to catch up on discussion of other devices on the market.

Some people prefer the simplicity of an "all in one solution". But as I have some IT skills, I've decided to go the Home Theatre PC route for my next DVR. The advantage with a HTPC is that you can grab EPG data online up to two weeks into the future. And you can network your HTPC to various TV's throughout your home--much like a "whole home PVR" solution offered by some of the cable/satellite companies.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:59 PM   #569
Jase88

Quote:
how are you able view a program guide on the cm pal 7000 without being able to enter a postal code i want to buy one but i am sketchy about the program guide and dvr abilities without it
PSIP, as mentioned in my reply post. A postal code is only required for TVGOS (TV Guide On Screen) data from a host US TVGOS station.

PSIP (Program and System Information Protocol) is an embedded data stream sent out by most OTA stations. Unlike TVGOS, PSIP is not linked geographically by postal code or ZIP code. If your DVR or tuner can receive a station, it can decode it's PSIP data stream.

Obviously it sucks that Channel Master has failed to support TVGOS for their DVR users outside of the US. Especially considering that cities like London have their own TVGOS host station locally (CFPL). But the device still works well if the station you're viewing has a populated PSIP EPG stream.
Old 2012-03-20, 12:04 AM   #570
Jase88

Default London CM7000Pal Owners

I'm guessing that Londoners with this DVR likely use WQLN Erie PBS for TVGOS? If so, which ZIP code do you use?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.