Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2012-03-14, 06:43 AM   #46
Tridus

We've got the preview running at work. People get a good laugh out of it, but nobody particularly likes it. I put the odds of adoption at work at around 0%. Retraining costs alone to teach people how to deal with Metro make it totally unwanted, and there's nothing to be gained from it over Windows 7.

It's the return of Vista.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-14, 07:27 AM   #47
TKG26
Veteran

I installed in on my vista desktop..... I ran it for a day and went back.

The UI overlay is neat at first glance but more of an annoyance after a while... I kept going back to the desktop... Where things felt familiar. I think maybe its unfair to give judgment without trying this with a touch screen or a tablet. I really feels like there are 2 seperate OS's here each going a different direction. The tiles im sure will be handy once its on a tablet but in desktop use im not sure how useful they will be even when you can touch the screen...

I run android phone and tablet. Of the two the phone gets the most use, i usually grab my laptop windows7 for my heavy surfing and any other work. The screen rocks on the tablet compared to my laptop but as much as i love android i grab the laptop more often for daily at home use...

I feel my current habits are why i felt the way i felt with windows8 i wanted the glitz of the tile UI but ended up using the windows7 desktop part of it more.... could not install chrome browser and that was the last straw.

*** Casual pc user****
Old 2012-03-14, 12:24 PM   #48
j0dest3r
Veteran

Being that there is no real software to take advantage of the Metro UI, (can only play pinball so much) it makes sense that you are using the desktop more. It also doesn't help that the xbox live / zune integration parts don't work in Canada either! I don't understand why you couldn't load Chrome, Win8 has taken a bunch of desktop software packages I use without hesitation. I haven't tried Chrome yet though, but have been meaning to.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:18 PM   #49
audacity
Veteran

Remember those keyboard overlay things that used to come with WordPerfect 5.1? Maybe we need one of those for all the new Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts.

Honestly, after using Windows 8 for a little while (as a desktop user) I initially didn't react to Metro that well, but now I just think of Metro as a new and improved start menu, and everything is just fine. The improved multi-monitor support is a welcome addition.

Since there aren't really any serious Metro apps out there yet, I don't find myself using apps in that environment at all, so Win8 just seems like a incrementally improved Win7.

Now, if you were tablet/slate user, I'm sure it would be a revolutionary change/improvement for you. I'm very interested in seeing what the Win8 tablet hardware products will look like. I especially liked the tablet/laptop form factor that was shown at MWC where the laptop was super thin, and the hinge had almost 360 degrees of motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUFv4C4fVzE

Seek forward to about 1h09m in to the video you can see the laptop from Lenovo that I'm talking about.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:49 PM   #50
TorontoColin

Chrome worked fine on Windows 8 for me.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:05 PM   #51
Arthur Dent
Veteran

I put Windows 8 on my HTPC and I haven't had any non-working product yet. Mostly blu-ray and other video playback, and WMC.
I am still trying to figure out how to make use of the Metro interface with a WMC remote control. I can navigate and start an app, but that's it. There's no coming back without a mouse or a keyboard. Essentially, I can't find a way to do the Windows Home key from the remote. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:17 PM   #52
audacity
Veteran

I haven't looked into it myself (using Metro via a remote), but if I were in your shoes, I would start by investigate using some key remapping tools. Try remapping one of the keys on your remote to the Windows key.

From the perspective of a computer, often those remotes "look like" a keyboard - with the special exception of certain keys like the "Green Button" which don't map to a normal keyboard key.
Old 2012-03-14, 04:07 PM   #53
j0dest3r
Veteran

I have been thinking of putting it on my HTPC. I use a diNovo mini and wonder if the d-pad mode would work with Metro like it does with Media Center.
Old 2012-03-15, 11:05 AM   #54
audacity
Veteran

The d-pad when in "arrow key mode" is just the standard arrow keys, so yes - it would work in Metro.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:59 AM   #55
Dr.Dave

PCWorld did some benchmarks showing that most activities in Win 8 are faster than Win 7. The Office Productivity test was better on Win 7, but that may be resolved before Win 8 goes to production.

I'm running Win 8 and Win 7 on a dual-boot Intel Core i5 and can confirm that Win 8 starts and shuts down much faster and IE browsing is much faster. I've been using Chrome until now, but I haven't bothered to load it on this machine, so I don't know how much of the difference is inherent in Win 8 and how much is IE9 vs IE10. I haven't loaded Office on this machine so I can't comment on that.
Old 2012-03-29, 03:14 PM   #56
j0dest3r
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback. Same here a newer i5 machine. I did install it on an SSD hard drive as well so thought that was why I was seeing these blazing speeds! My only disappointment is none of the Xbox / Zune integration stuff works in Canada. I also spend most of my time at the desktop. The Metro Apps are pretty meh but I admit haven't used them much except for the remote desktop app, its' real nice. I wish Metro had a better video app and the Metro browser supported Flash and Silverlight.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:29 AM   #57
MarcP
Veteran

Three killer problems that threaten Windows 8

I agree with this article. I have no love for Win8 right now. Decided to try the consumer preview not knowing much about the interface. It was frustrating trying to figure out the magical invisible spots on the screen to put your mouse on to get some response.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:51 AM   #58
ScaryBob
Veteran

I agree with the article 100%. Forcing desktop users to use Metro instead of the Start Menu will turn Win7 into another WinXP. Most consumers will not want Win8 on the desktop and will resist its adoption. Win8 will also be an uphill battle on touch pad devices due to it's late introduction. I have no doubt that MS will sell millions of copies of Win8 but it won't enjoy the success that WinXP and Win7 have for desktops. I would love to have a Win8 tablet but I doubt they will be price competitive with Android nor will they have the widespread appeal of iOS.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:23 PM   #59
mellaby

That article misinforms users. It find Win 8 Beta just as easy to use as Win 7. I loaded my Win 8 as a clean in stall and it boots 3x faster than Win 7. All applications run just as fast or faster than 7. The metro can be set up with Google, Word, Excel, Control Panel or whatever, so it's just as easy as win 7. The full screen isn't a problem for me and its easy to find your other apps running by moving your mouse to the upper left corner. The only problem is see that Microsoft should have done is a small tutorial on first start up to show how to use the mouse on the corners and adding icons to the Metro screen.
Old 2012-03-30, 06:40 PM   #60
Cockroach

Pending receipt of new HD, I did a clean install on Win 8 on an old drive. Yes, it does seem to work much faster (maybe fewer things running in the background) but I am not sure if I like the interface for all the previously-mentioned reasons.

I like my desktop and don't like the drag-style menus either. I doubt if I will be an adopter of Win 8.

Tags
windows 8