Heat Pump not delivering energy savings - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2012-03-11, 10:55 AM   #16
asd

Jostudly, I need to press the temperature up and down buttons twice to get the read out on the remote to react to the change. However, after the first press, it responds to each subsequent increase or decrease with one press of the buttons. The key is to hear the beep on the unit, telling you the change has been received from the remote by the system.

My units, one identical to yours and one different, each delay before a change in settings too. The system needs time to react to the signaled changes. As long as your unit reacts to the change in settings within a few minutes, I think it is behaving normally -- like mine do, anyway. For example, on the very coldest winter nights -- -15C -- the unit sometimes goes into defrost mode in responding to an increase in temperature command from the remote. After a couple of minutes the heat is back, and the temperature rises as I have commanded.

Hope that helps. I think an analogy might be steering a boat rather than driving a car. The car steering response is obvious and immediate but the boat needs patience from the handler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-11, 11:10 AM   #17
Jostudly
Rookie

Yes same here once I press the temp change once I get no beep but only on the second time I press it I get the beep. I am wondering if they all work that way or it is a defect. One thing I do find odd is that if I keep the temp at 74 F it seem to be blowing air but if I lower it to 72 F like I did last night the heat pump stopped blowing air until I changed it back to 74 F this am. I know that the house was colder then 72 F so I m not if there is something wrong with it. I also tried the reset and then turned it off and back on again to get it to work again.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:45 AM   #18
asd

I don't know if your unit needs service but you might experiment with the fan speed. I recall we discussed the fan sending air the length of your house last fall. If you have it set on "auto," for example, maybe try "high." I use high all winter. It doesn't always blow at the high rate, even when set to high.

Maybe experiment more with your louvers on the wall unit too. To get warm or cool air from one end of the house to the other might require setting the louvers to shoot straight ahead rather than down. When you switch modes from heat to dehumidify, for instance, the louvers move automatically. I make sure mine are set to shoot straight ahead and not down. When it was 18C two days ago I went to dehumidify and the louvers changed so when I went back to heat last night I had to readjust them again. These units are very complex and it took me a year to find the setting that works for my wife and I.
Old 2012-12-01, 12:15 AM   #19
littletyler
Rookie

Default Sounds like your contractor doesnt understand heat loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
We own a split-level 1500 sq ft home with electric baseboard heating.We installed a Fujitsu 12RLS mini-split in September 09...
It sounds like your contractor went in the wrong direction when it comes to heating. If your budget just allowed you to install a single zone ductless you should have put it down stairs....
Imagine a 20 story condominium. The tenants on the basement would need ample heat and no cooling in the summer. The tenants on the top floor proiority would be cooling in spring summer. HEAT rises.
Your contractor should have put your single zone system downstairs to eliminate your covection heaters which are always on....

The readon you havnt saved $ is that your upstairs is not hard to heat and those baseboards were never working hard....

Hope this helps

Tlittle

Last edited by 57; 2012-12-01 at 12:36 AM. Reason: QS
Old 2013-01-22, 01:15 AM   #20
nascent
Rookie

http://604goodguy.com/blog/2013/01/2...-installation/

A UK study found it's not uncommon for heat pumps to achieve less than half of their potential efficiency due to installation factors... If I get one maybe it will just be for the AC, and I'll consider myself lucky if it actually saves a lot of energy.