Shaw Gateway/Portal Price Increase - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Old 2012-02-04, 02:02 PM   #16
raypundo

I also don't think Shaw was sneaky or dishonest with the pricing.

They did change the price for 4 months, it wasn't a one week sale or anything to create a bait and switch.

The price was lowered during the holiday season, and it seemed to me all the service providers had a lot of competition going on as well.

Hard drive prices have gone up drasticly. I bet there is some pressure from that put on it as well. Shaw might have been selling at cost and would now be selling at a loss maybe?

(I believe HD prices are artificially high from the manufacturers, gouging so to speak, but that is a seperate issue. Shaw would feel the effect just like i did when I bought a 2 TB drive 2 weeks ago for a new computer.)

If they announced the price change in October, I think the end of January is a fair amount of time to take advanatage of the price. I know I did.

Computer component prices had spikes like this in the past, and will do so again. Ram, HD's, there is always some part that gets hit and the prices go up just before you buy something. After building computers for 10 years, this has happened more than once to me
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-04, 02:17 PM   #17
buckycat

Take a look what these guys are paying for the same system available only as a rental. $28 a month with only one portal. Doesn't sound so bad up here now.

http://www.bendbroadband.com/residen...geID=dc&adct=3
Old 2012-02-04, 02:42 PM   #18
newfbc

@ Bend you have to rent a wireless modem/router for $10 for Internet (if you want wireless built in) - this cost is included in the rental of the Gateway from them. They actually make use of the modem in the Gateway.

Ron.
Old 2012-02-04, 03:02 PM   #19
buckycat

@newfbc, Good point about the modem.
Old 2012-02-04, 03:04 PM   #20
buckycat

To bad there isn' t a forum in Bend to hear the thoughts of the people down there on the Arris system. All in all I'm happy with mine.
Old 2012-02-04, 03:46 PM   #21
Flash604

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfbc
@ Bend you have to rent a wireless modem/router for $10 for Internet (if you want wireless built in) - this cost is included in the rental of the Gateway from them. They actually make use of the modem in the Gateway.
Ummm... Yes, the modem is separate; but no, you do not have to rent it. There is no charge, perhaps you are on a really old plan and need to update?
Old 2012-02-12, 07:43 PM   #22
Jason316

still haven't updated there web site

http://www.shaw.ca/Bulletins/Gateway-Experience/

decrease
Old 2012-02-13, 05:04 AM   #23
Quantum Tarantino

Why would they update that page jason?

Theyre not taking away the credit, they gave to the early adopters.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:00 PM   #24
jshel101
Veteran

Futureshop has these back to the original low price

Portal approx $141.99
Gateway approx $205.99
Old 2012-02-17, 01:28 PM   #25
Jason316

^^^i got it at Bestbuy for

1 Shaw Gateway 500GB HD PVR Receiver with Total Home Portal
Item Status: In Stock

$347.98
1 Environmental Handling Fee for Shaw Gateway 500GB HD PVR Receiver (MG5225G)
Click here to learn more about the Environmental Handling Fee. More Information
$3.50
1 Environmental Handling Fee for Shaw Total Home Portal (MP2000)
Click here to learn more about the Environmental Handling Fee. More Information
$3.50

Old 2012-02-17, 01:36 PM   #26
Jason316

plus London Drugs is selling DCX3400 for $198 (while other stores have it for $350)
Old 2012-02-24, 08:14 PM   #27
Swervepf
Rookie

only see it at the lower price at Future Shop today. Best Buy, London Drugs, and even Shaw show it at the higher price.
Old 2012-02-25, 06:51 PM   #28
Jason316

^^^price match

I got gateway/Portal for $377 (taxes included) at B e s t B u y. They price matched Visions and beat it by 10% difference.

if i got it at boxing day i would have saved another $35...oh well
Old 2012-03-05, 02:38 PM   #29
lilloco

I thought you cancelled?

Telling a company that you want to cancel because you simply can not work with them due to their dishonesty and shady practices, and then not following through with your threat is a bit dishonest.

I really don't see the problem. A lot of industries use loss leaders or provide a product or service at a lower price, with very little or no profit, in order to build a client base.

It's possible, and i'm only guessing, that Shaw used the lower price to A) reward people that were tolerating the early adopter bugs, and B) to ensure that their army of Gateway installers were booked constantly.

Getting people to switch to a new product can be daunting, especially with large up front costs.

Once the saturation was at a comfortable level for them, they terminate the loss leader.

Often in electronics, by the time the saturation is complete, the cost of production has lowered, either availability of parts, or efficiencies that are learned. If those lowered prices aren't realized from Arriss to Shaw, I see no issue with them setting their price accordingly.

I should note, I was an early adopter, I bought at the original price, and then received the credit. So perhaps i'm biased. However, I also sat on the phone with Tech support for 2 hours trying to solve the original VOD issue. I missed plenty of TV shows that the box chose not to record.

It's not a god given right that technology can only drop in price.
Old 2012-03-07, 07:23 PM   #30
Jason316

I thought you cancelled?

Telling a company that you want to cancel because you simply can not work with them due to their dishonesty and shady practices, and then not following through with your threat is a bit dishonest.

I was going to cancel all 3 services however Telus doesn't offer Optik TV in North Vancouver(Mountain HWY area). So I had to stay with Shaw for tv. I can't cancel internet either because telus only offers "download speeds up to 25Mbps" if you have Optik TV. I think with there sat. service they only offer 1Mps.

So has you can see i can't switch for tv & internet until Telus offers Optik TV in my area. However I could still move my phone which i was going to do but shaw retentions gave me $15 phone(I was paying $25) & $20 BB50(was paying $59) for 1 year.

Plus I think shaw likes me being "dishonest" has you put it.

Again I would like to say I have zero problems with Shaw's services. I like my BB50 very fast plus i LOVE gateway 6 tuner(comes in handy for NHL Center Ice) plus i enjoy my $16 HD plus.