Flashing Graphics on PS3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2012-02-08, 09:49 PM   #1
snorlax

Default Flashing Graphics on PS3

My kids have been complaining about flashing and flickering graphics on various PS3 games. Seems to be confined to new graphic intensive games like Batman Arkham City and Transformers. What happens is a single element in the game will flicker and flash, like Batman's cape or a doorway. The rest of the scene is unaffected. As the game progresses other elements like a wall or a window flash. Older games and PS2/PS1 games don't seem to be effected. Blu-ray movies play fine as well. Tried changing the output from 1080p down to 720p then even tried 480i. Same problem. Tried various reset and system restore functions, no help. Took it to a service centre and they basically said unit is dying, any fix they attempt would only be temporary, buy a new unit. I think the problem may be heat related as it doesn't show up until the game has been running for 10 minutes or so. Ideas? Suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-08, 10:03 PM   #2
jayoldschool
Veteran

Buy a new slim, transfer your data ASAP. Then, use the old one for movies only until it dies, then follow gilksy's how to on you tube to reflow it. I just fixed my Jan 07 60GB that went YLOD last week. Replaced it with a new 320GB slim.
Old 2012-02-10, 12:33 PM   #3
eimaj

Have you tried a different hdmi cable? Switching the cable to a different input on the tv? It could be something wrong on that level.

A few years back I had a Samsung lcd that had a faulty hdmi board that caused pink and green flashes every once and a while. Thankfully it was under warranty so I got a new tv.
Old 2012-02-11, 04:20 PM   #4
TVJunkie

If its the original PS3 they are the best ones cause they were backward compatable with PS2. The problem is they run hot especially with high graphics games. Mine would work fine for a while but as it heated up the screen would start to flicker etc. In the end it got worse and worse so I had to replaced it as eventually could not even play movies.

Make sure lots of cooling get rid of all the dust etc move away from other devices but yep I agree your toast buy a new one.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:54 AM   #5
snorlax

Picked up a new PS3 slim 320 gig. Got the deal from Future shop with an extra controller and game. Plan to copy off the game save data and start using the new one. When I have a few hours I plan to disassemble the older one (Yes it is PS2 backward compatible) and try the cooling fix mentioned above. Thanks for that! I don't plan to buy the heat gun to reflow the solder, just not worth it for one fix but the cleaning and reapplication of the heat sink paste might be enough to keep the temperature under the misbehaving threshold. Thanks for the HDMI suggestion but as I mentioned I tried 480i. I used a composite cable for that to actually record the game play to show the service shop what was going on. The fault was visible using that connection as well.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:08 AM   #6
jayoldschool
Veteran

Good move. There are good tutorials out there on using the data transfer. It can take a few tries to get it to work (it did for me). If you are going to go through the trouble of taking the old one apart, do the reflow. Someone you know will have a heat gun. I used Arctic Silver 5 paste, purchased from Canada Computers. It was in stock at my local store.
Old 2012-03-07, 08:40 AM   #7
snorlax

OK, I have disassembled my PS3, done the reflow (yes I was able to borrow a heat gun), cleaned out the dust and applied Arctic Silver 5. Unfortunately I still have the problem. I am now leaning toward a faulty memory chip used for graphics functions. Since it is impossible for me to determine which chip is at fault and also impossible to replace it I have officially given up. My 80 gig PS3 will be limited to Blu Ray and streaming functions. Not ideal, but it I am not prepared to toss it. BTW it is much quieter now so better suited to Blu Ray playback. Thanks to all for the suggestions.