In Wall VS. In ceiling - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner > Home Theatre Construction

Old 2012-03-01, 07:50 AM   #1
Power_Man
Rookie

Default In Wall VS. In ceiling

I was just wondering if it is okay to run both in-Ceiling and in-wall speakers in a 7.2 home theater?

I was thinking about using the surround speakers in-wall and the backs in wall.

Will it loose its "surround" effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-01, 10:55 AM   #2
audacity
Veteran

That depends so much on the room details and dimensions (listener position, ceiling height, etc).

In general I've found that in-wall speakers sound better than in-ceiling speakers.
Old 2012-03-01, 06:52 PM   #3
Power_Man
Rookie

Thank you for the reply.
The room is 15w x 20L
Tv will be on the one wall and seating area will be (for the most part) on the back wall. (plan on doing theater style seating). I did not want the rear speakers or even the surround speakers right behind the persons head. That's why I was thinking about doing the rear speakers in the roof.
But then is it still "surround sound"?
Old 2012-03-01, 09:43 PM   #4
audacity
Veteran

I think you'll be fine with using ceiling speakers as surround speakers if that is your question.

If you would like some product recommendations, I highly recommend Monoprice for the best bang-for-the-buck. Its easy to get screwed in the audio world if you don't know how much the stuff actually costs to make. So, don't get screwed.

Anyway, for in-wall speakers I use product ID 6816 and ID 4881 in my HT setup and I can tell you that they're excellent.

For in-ceiling speakers try product ID 7605. I don't have any of those myself, but they look good; and given that the drivers are angled (they don't fire straight down) you could angle them towards the focal point of your audio setup.
Old 2012-03-02, 12:04 AM   #5
beanagee1

I have been using in-wall and in-ceiling Monoprice speakers for a year now. I could not be any happier with them. Great value.
Old 2012-03-02, 03:03 AM   #6
Power_Man
Rookie

Okay.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
I really like Monoprices stuff, but they want $100.00 for shipping. don't think it makes it a deal after shipping.
<-----I'm in Canada
Old 2012-03-03, 12:20 PM   #7
Danno100

You can buy some Monoprice speakers from Canada. Don't know if I'm allowed to say who, but it is onlybestrated dot com. Price is great and shipping price is fair and fast. That is where I bought mine from.
Old 2012-03-05, 12:30 AM   #8
Kaoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
I think you'll be fine with using ceiling speakers as surround speakers if that is your question.

If you would like some product recommendations, I highly recommend Monoprice for the best bang-for-the-buck. Its easy to get screwed in the audio world if you don't know how much the stuff actually costs to make. So, don't get screwed.

Anyway, for in-wall speakers I use product ID 6816 and ID 4881 in my HT setup and I can tell you that they're excellent.

For in-ceiling speakers try product ID 7605. I don't have any of those myself, but they look good; and given that the drivers are angled (they don't fire straight down) you could angle them towards the focal point of your audio setup.
I agree that you can get screwed buying speakers (especially in-wall) from audio stores. I actually bought Legrand On-Q in-wall speakers from Lowes and they weren't expensive. They're good speakers but the sound quality will depend on their installation. Since I'm building my HT (Black Ice Theater construction thread) I'm making sure the wall cavities are blocked to provide .72 cubic feet in size and lined with insulation. This is according to the Legrand's specifications and should essentially have the same quality as an enclosed speaker (i.e. bookshelf speaker). My side and rear speakers all have the same size cavity so there are no differences.

Cheers,
Kaoru