Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 97 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-02-28, 01:08 AM   #1441
ae_collector

If it was unpluged from AC or disconnected from the satellite dish it needs a re-hit. You can log in on-line and do it yourself or just call in. They eventually lose their activation if not connected to both AC and the satellite dish.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-28, 04:34 AM   #1442
ABM 111

Thanks
But it won't even turn on
Old 2012-02-28, 08:43 AM   #1443
cyberham

These have a one-year manufacturer's warranty. If it's within that year, SD will replace for no charge. Don't worry about the dent; they send you a new one before you send the old one in. I doubt they check after-the-fact the condition of the returned unit; they just want to get it back.
Old 2012-02-29, 04:52 AM   #1444
ddayson

Had a Shaw technician over to the house today. After checking the settings and test recording, it was determined there was a problem with one of the cables, so he ran a new one and said the problem should now be fixed. After he left I set a few programs to record. One started as normal so I figured the problem must be fixed, so I set some more stuff to record. I went out for a while and when I came home and checked my PVR, none of the shows recorded! Same issues. 353 hours for a half hour recording. The one show that did manage to record had nothing but a black screen. I am sick of this! In the last 2 weeks, I haven't been able to record anything. I have had a receiver replaced. I have spent nearly 4 hours on the phone with technical support. I had a technician at my house! And nothing is fixing this. I'll ask this forum one last time... does ANYONE have an idea what is causing this???
Old 2012-03-01, 07:33 AM   #1445
cyberham

Sounds like multiple problems. His changing the cable may have fixed one problem. If you've done a full reset including reformatting of disk, then you probably need a new box. Get a cup of coffee, sit in your favourite chair and play the game by calling SD tech support. Go through their song-and-dance calmly answering any questions and they'll soon send you a new box. You really have no choice, other than to choose not to use pay TV.
Old 2012-03-01, 08:06 AM   #1446
ddayson

They've already sent me a replacement receiver... I highly doubt they would be too happy sending a second one.

However, I phoned tech support earlier and the guy I spoke to said he couldn't believe they sent me a replacement 630 since they "just don't do that as the 630 doesn't need replacing" suggesting that it is a perfect machine. He asked if my 630 was plugged into a power bar, which I said yes it was. He told me to plug it directly in to the wall outlet, wait 24 hours before attempting to record and everything will be fixed! Somehow, I don't believe plugging in to a wall instead of a power bar is going to make a difference. With that, I am waiting 24 hours to try recording and will see if by some miracle it actually makes a difference.

Last edited by ddayson; 2012-03-01 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2012-03-01, 08:24 AM   #1447
cyberham

You've proven a point I know is true. There is a huge range of talent at SD. From the incompetent rookie to expert veterans. Don't argue with somebody like that. Thank him, hang up, phone again and start over. The 630 does occasionally need replacing like any piece of complex hardware that can fail. That power bar explanation is so tiring. I have 2 power bars with 11 things plugged in behind the TV. How else would you plug that much in? Most don't operate simultaneously so it is electrically safe.
Old 2012-03-01, 09:44 AM   #1448
ddayson

The tech support guy basically said that by plugging it into the power bar, after enough time, be that 1 month or a year, but eventually the power bar will fill with too much static and cause programs not to record properly. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I just can't for a second believe any of that, but to save my remaining hair, I am giving it a chance. He also said he was going to get in touch with all of the previous CS agents I spoke to and the technician that came to my home and tell them that all 630's have to be plugged into wall outlets, not power bars.

One more point I would like to make. I realise that the 630 may need replacing. But my point from the start has been how is it possible that 2 of the units both have the same troubles? I accept that maybe my first 630 stopped working. But the replacement unit should have worked. I'm just at such a loss with this. But - both receivers were on a power bar, so I'm going to be stunned about it and try this out.
Old 2012-03-01, 09:57 AM   #1449
cyberham

...and these people (SD technical support) walk among us. The Walking Dead?
Old 2012-03-01, 11:20 AM   #1450
envirogeek

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS

I've been given the power bar song and dance as well when calling in for a 630 that would magically reboot itself. This was after I could hear how disappointed the tech was that he couldn't blame the issue on signal strength, which was in the high 90s on both tuners.

After doing a factory reset keeping recordings I have only seen my 630 perform one phantom reboot in months.

My theory is those users recording more shows will have more problems. It may be purely disk space, may be an issue with cleaning out software caches, or may be fragmentation.

I would be surprised if anyone who has replaced the 320gb drive with a 1tb, and is able to keep the capacity used in the 50% range, sees recording or reboot issues.

@ddayson On your specific problem...

Do you have a KillOWatt or similar power measuring device and/or are you comfortable with a meter? You could confirm polarity and voltage at the receptacle. In Calgary you can check a KillOWatt out of the library.

How far is the dish from the pvr location? Is there any possibility at all that you could do a temporary recording setup with shorter or different cable runs than what is running through the walls? It may still be a cable issue.

I realize you shouldn't have to do this testing yourself, but it would give you some leverage when you call Shaw Direct.
Old 2012-03-01, 01:33 PM   #1451
cyberham

If this was your own free-to-air (FTA) system, I'd agree. But this is an SD unit potentially still under warranty. SD tech support would not use such information since they really can't trust it if it doesn't come from their own installer. I still say the main game is to stay on top of SD reporting what is going on. Keep your cool (I know almost impossible). Keep the responsibility in their court; that's where it belongs.
Old 2012-03-02, 02:28 AM   #1452
ddayson

Well surprise, surprise. Plugging into the wall as opposed to the power bar made absolutely no difference. I set the Big Bang Theory to record, and it recorded two episodes at 453 hours each. Naturally, both episodes are unwatchable. The Late Late Show didn't even bother to record at all. I quit.
Old 2012-03-02, 08:24 AM   #1453
cyberham

Don't quit! Then they win. Solve the problem, then quit. It will be more satisfying: your morning motivational tip.
Old 2012-03-02, 11:59 PM   #1454
ddayson

I appreciate the motivational tip. This is just so frustrating already. It just seems that no one has any idea what is causing this. I'm tired of phoning customer service so that I can be told for about the 6th time to do a factory reset, a front panel reset, plug into a wall, replace the receiver, etc. Like am I the only person who has ever had this problem? Surely there is a solution but you think they would have figured this out by now.
Old 2012-03-03, 12:02 AM   #1455
ddayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwspen View Post
I'm having the same HDPVR 630 problem as "ddayson" and have had the same problem for the last week or so.

Here's a screenshot.

None of the shows that "look" OK will play, I get a black screen with the status bar at the bottom and it just stays at 0:00.

The shows that show no date or time and a false (and too long) duration only provide a "Delete" option.

They will delete, but this doesn't change the space available on the hard drive.

I've tried front-panel resets, but haven't tried a "factory" reset yet for two reasons. 1) It doesn't seem to fix the problem, and 2) I'd rather not lose these recordings if there is another option.

Before calling SD CS, does anyone have any other ideas?
Cwspen - you seem to be the only other person having the same issues I am. Have you been able to resolve yours?

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct