Multiswitch Discussions - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-01-10, 11:35 AM   #181
classicsat
Veteran

For a quad LNBF, it doesn't matter. For a dual non-stacked, the 111 LNBF goes to the 22 Khz input, and the 107.3 to the no tone input. The Flex inputs are not used for Shaw Direct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-23, 07:45 PM   #182
CanaDawg

Default HD splitter question

I have a run of rg6 from point A (hd tv) to point B then a 2nd run from point B to the elliptical dish outside.

1. What kind of connector, if any will work for a 505? 605?

2. Can a multiswitch be used as a splitter?
Old 2012-02-24, 07:58 AM   #183
mr weather
Veteran

What is "point B"? What are you trying to do?
Old 2012-02-24, 09:14 AM   #184
classicsat
Veteran

You canot split the Shaw Direct satellite coax. If you want two or more tuners, you need a coax from the dish for each. A multiswitch splits four (no more, no less) to its outputs.
Old 2012-02-24, 12:08 PM   #185
CanaDawg

Sorry. I didn't explain it well. I have built a new home theatre. I thought I could have a central patch panel to manage all of my wiring (sat, phone, internet), with all incoming lines ending there before being routed to the desired destinations. This, in theory, would support re-routing later on without fishing new wire if required, and ease a change to a different provider.

I was hoping to go with a 605 receiver and:

Solution 1: DISH - RG6 - CONNECTOR - RG6 - TV

but a SD CSR said the 605 will only support

Solution 2: DISH - RG6 - TV

This would mean new holes into my house and disrupting some new drywall. No hope of running an uninterrupted line with what is there now.

Bottom line question: Is SD just trying to cover themselves here or can the right kind of connector join my line and give me an acceptable signal?

This is independent of a pre-existing unbroken line from the dish to an existing tv in a different room (that I presume will remain as is). This line is connected to a 505. I didn't ask if a 505 would support a connected line but if it does I might be able to move it to the theatre and keep put a new 605 where the 505 was.

Regarding the multiswitch, this is more of a supplemental question. If I could have Solution 1 working, I was then going to change 'connector' to 'splitter' to see if I could support a 630.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-02-24, 12:27 PM   #186
magnet

If the connector is just a RG-6 female/ Female bullet to extend the cable from the dish, you will be ok.
Old 2012-02-24, 01:57 PM   #187
CanaDawg

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! And the truth shall set me free!

I figured this had to be true. Otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to have a wallplate with a jack as that is, essentally the F/F RG6 connector you are talking about. So why would a SD CSR tell me otherwise?...

So onto the multi-switch thing. If I wanted to push the envelop and have a PVR (I didn't tell you about the 2nd line I have already), is there some kind of device I can have inside the house that will accept 1 line and produce 2 going out? If you can go from 4 to 6 I don't understand why you can't somehow also go from 1 to 2? In this case I'd have 2 lines from the dish, one to direct to the 505 and the other into the multi-switch and then 2 lines to the pvr.
Old 2012-02-24, 02:12 PM   #188
magnet

As mentioned earlier the multiswitch needs all 4 inputs to cover the 4 different types of signals coming from the dish (Basically 107.3░ Horizontal Polarization, 107.3░ Vertical Polarization, 111.1░ Horizontal Polarization and 111.1░ Vertical Polarization). The multiswitch lets any of the 6 outputs choose from any of those 4 input signals.
The 630 needs 2 cables from the dish directly or from the multiswitch.
It will not work otherwise and there is no workaround.
Old 2012-02-25, 10:40 AM   #189
classicsat
Veteran

There currently is no way to run more than one tuner/receiver from current Shaw Driect equipment, and have full access to two satellites.

Any other potential solution would cost more than some drywall repairs.
Old 2012-02-25, 11:04 AM   #190
Jimsathome

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
As mentioned earlier the multiswitch needs all 4 inputs to cover the 4 different types of signals coming from the dish (Basically 107.3░ Horizontal Polarization, 107.3░ Vertical Polarization, 111.1░ Horizontal Polarization and 111.1░ Vertical Polarization). The multiswitch lets any of the 6 outputs choose from any of those 4 input signals.
The 630 needs 2 cables from the dish directly or from the multiswitch.
It will not work otherwise and there is no workaround.
I think the Standard is a 4x8 Multiswitch or you can use a 5x8 like in this photo:

Old 2012-02-28, 11:26 PM   #191
ae_collector

CanaDawg:

I have exactly what you are working towards having. A central panel where all of my Telephone, Security System, Network & TV cables converge. As for Satellite cables I have 4 feeds from the dish arriving there and every coax in the house leading to TV locations departs from there. My 4x8 Satellite multiswitch is located there and it is what ties everything 'coax' together. Works just fine and is the ultimate in flexibility on all fronts.
Old 2012-03-06, 08:08 PM   #192
CanaDawg

Thanks to everyone. What I have done is use an RG6 coupler in my line and attached the line to my dish as a 2nd line in. I moved my lone receiver to the new room to test. So far not getting a signal. Assuming the cable and coupler are ok, does it matter which line you connect to on the LNB? The original (working) one that was there was on one end. I just went to the other end. Does this matter if my setup is just 2 single direct (no pvr, no multiswitch) lines?

I want to make sure these basics are ok before I call them up.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:49 AM   #193
Jimsathome

Any line from the LNB to the 605 will work. If you think the LNB is defective try a different output.
Old 2012-03-08, 11:26 AM   #194
eejake52
Rookie

Sounds like a glitch with the coupler or the new piece of cable.
Try this:
a) connect the RG6 to the 605; turn on 605
b) at the end of the first piece of cable, measure DC voltage between center conductor and shield: should be ~13; if not, cable is bad
c) add the coupler, then repeat measurement at the end of the cable at the LNB

Jake
Old 2012-03-09, 07:56 PM   #195
CanaDawg

Thanks again. LNB was fine. Coupler was fine. Cable was bad.