Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 37 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-21, 03:42 PM   #541
Steve Smart

Brownriggd

What Jase88 says is correct. The CM7000 is very sensitive to dropouts when recording. But...

I noticed this last night on several recordings made yesterday. Play mode was fine - no dropouts - but fast forward/reverse kept freezing and the commercial skip was acting up. Pausing and/or restarting the file did not help. I did a Reset/Reboot and that seemed to fix the problem.

If you're seeing this problem on most recordings over several days, and your signal is not generally crap, you might try reinitializing the device so the firmware loads from scratch.

One big caveat: This was on a CM7400, not the CM7000PAL. Completely different manufacturer and firmware, but it can't hurt to try.
Steve Smart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-21, 04:12 PM   #542
brownriggd

I was thinking of doing a complete system reset to see if this helps. In response to Jase88 I'm not seeing any signal dropout or delay (at least visible to the naked eye) during these defective recordings. Just a jerkiness....for example as a car passes by the camera there's a noticeable hesitation or slight pause in the flow like its missing a frame or two....
Old 2012-02-21, 08:46 PM   #543
theboyk

It an update - after getting home, checked my 7000PAL, and after the factory reset last night and an overnight wait, TVGOS is now populated again. So, big thanks to all who helped out!
k.
theboyk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-22, 12:00 AM   #544
Jase88

brownriggd, that's a different issue than what I thought. Are you sure this isn't how the video is coming into the dvr?!
Old 2012-02-22, 09:05 AM   #545
brownriggd

quote: 'brownriggd, that's a different issue than what I thought. Are you sure this isn't how the video is coming into the dvr?!'

I was wondering the same thing. Will OTA broadcasts do this? So far I've only noticed it on CityTV and Global recorded broadcasts here in the Ottawa area. Has anyone else notice this issue?
Old 2012-02-22, 09:12 AM   #546
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

^^^^ CBC is progressive, ie: 720p. You might want to try recording something from there if signal permits.

Can't speak for the Ottawa setups, but via Toronto, CBC and others record here OK, although the motion on CBC is better. Just running into a bizarre issue of recordings not always starting with the PC based 950Q, but that's another issue...

Cameron
Old 2012-02-22, 09:36 AM   #547
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post
So far I've only noticed it on CityTV and Global recorded broadcasts here in the Ottawa area. Has anyone else notice this issue?
I haven't noticed this problem with either of those stations, but I am not using a CM7000PAL. It could be a signal strength issue as those are likely your weakest stations.
Old 2012-02-22, 09:51 AM   #548
Jase88

I've seen the issue that brownriggd mentions. As he says, it's particularly noticeable on motion shots, especially where the shot is panning. Rather than fluid motion, there's a consistent slight hesitation. Like every other frame is missing in the shot. I've always attributed this to a "digital effect". But now that we're discussing it, I do wonder if this issue is caused by the DVR.

Most of my TV viewing is on the DVR. Over the next few days, I'll view on my TV's tuner to see if the issue presents there as well.

If it turns out to be an issue specific to the CM7000Pal, this could be another reason to avoid this product. Particularly if such transient viewing issues are found to be troublesome. Again, the effect is subtle, but certainly noticeable.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:36 PM   #549
Steve Smart

Brownriggd - cabling issue?

Could it be an HDMI problem, perhaps in conjunction with weaker signals? You might try switching from HDMI to Component (or vice versa).
Steve Smart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 09:55 AM   #550
brownriggd

Default CMPAL7000 Recording Jerkiness

Unfortunately my TV only accepts component via an adapter plug (breakout cable) which, trust me, produces worse image quality.

I haven't seen this issue on other channel recordings, i.e. CBC and TVO which are by far the strongest signals (in 90 to 100 strength range). Yes, CityTV and Global (particularly Global) are my weaker signals (sometimes in the 60 to 80 ranges).
Old 2012-02-23, 10:10 AM   #551
Jase88

I've done some testing in the past 24 hours, and haven't been able to replicate the issue. Including "stressing" the DVR by recording two programs at once, while viewing a third recorded program. Checking the recordings didn't reveal the issue. I'll keep testing...
Old 2012-02-26, 09:40 PM   #552
Pro gunner

Jase88 - in your previous post you mentioned maybe avoiding 'this product.' Is there a recommended DVR like Stampeder's antenna list?
Pro gunner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 11:00 PM   #553
Jase88

I've only used this particular DVR (7000PAL) with OTA.

Don't get me wrong; I like my 7000PAL. It could just be so much better if Channel Master supported it with software updates. And didn't ignore their Canadian and international customers by limiting TVGOS support to US zip codes only.

If I had the discretionary cash, I'd test out other DVR manufacturers for OTA. However, my thinking is that an HTPC is likely to be my next step.

Though if you're looking for a standalone DVR, I would read through the various threads here pertaining to different manufacturers to get the feedback of others.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:03 PM   #554
Jase88

Default CM7000Pal DST Weirdness

DST goes into effect this coming weekend, and being within 7 days of the change, I'm starting to see problems with some recordings.

And I believe I've figured out the issue. And more importantly, how to work around it.

The issue is that I tend to see some of my repeat programs (those set for daily or weekly recording) record an hour off (forward or backward, depending on spring or fall).

Apparently the DVR is capable of determining that a time change is imminent; likely from info it receives from TVGOS. But the device is incapable of applying that "awareness" to repeating programs where recording times are scheduled preceding the actual time change.

Therefore, for the full 7 days leading up to a DST change, I find that I need to set events to record individually.

Note that this issue only presents for channels which are populated in the guide by TVGOS.

For example, CBC Toronto, (which sends out a full week of guide data via PSIP) doesn't appear to have this issue. Nor do I see the issue with Global or other Canadian stations (except CFTO).
Old 2012-03-07, 01:12 PM   #555
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Jase88, it may well be that once the time actually changes, everything will be fixed and everything will record properly, but a s/w bug makes it look like things won't work. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.