TELUS Fiber Installs to Home in Cloverdale BC? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-24, 11:01 PM   #1
mstoetz1
Rookie

Default TELUS Fiber Installs to Home in Cloverdale BC?

TELUS was outside my home working and told me they were installing Fibre to my home. I'm in a new home, and the nice thing is, the utilities all run 2" conduits to each home for telephone so they can install cable easily.

I was very surprised that fibre was being installed, and especially since I don't use TELUS internet or TV.

I had to check the cable once they installed it, and it was definitely fibre, although a very thin fibre cable (much thinner than storage or network fibre cables you'd see in a datacenter).

Anyways... I'm thinking about getting Optik now. Does anyone know how well the fibre performs?

I'm in BC (Cloverdale).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-26, 01:53 PM   #2
xeonic
Rookie

I have fiber (GPON) in Alberta.

What you are looking at in your Telus install is close to the raw fiber itself which is probably 9/125um, where in the datacenter, the patch cords you see could be a 9/125um fiber (if it is single mode fiber) with a 1.6mm or 2.0mm jacket including protection, etc. There are so many different types of buffers and jackets, etc. You are probably actually using multimode in the datacenter but anyway, as for your question about the performance of Telus' fiber.

The fiber itself is great, it has been up and running for 7 months now and I haven't had a single issue. I get 24/3 for internet speeds 24/7/365 regardless if I am using 3HD streams as I think the actual rated speed of Telus' current GPON profile is 37.5 down which means there is plenty of overhead for the TV traffic. Telus has some strange peering, most of my traffic (from Alberta) heads east and routes through Chicago / NYC, if you're not a gamer then I wouldn't worry about it.

As the TV part itself, I like having one PVR, the hardware is inexpensive. My only issues with the TV at the moment are if you record a show on your PVR, and watch it using remote playback on a non-PVR STB, it will lose its connection mid-show, and you will either have to wait for the Recordings list to repopulate itself or reset the STB. I don't mind when it happens once and while, but 5+ in a the span of a one hour recorded program is quite annoying.

And the odd time when I am watching a show, the audio will go all garbled, changing the station and back again seems to fix the problem, it is very rare.

Other then that, I've been a happy customer. The fiber is the only reason I decided to give Telus a shot and so far I don't regret it.
Old 2012-03-07, 06:05 PM   #3
STP88

Location: Surrey,B.C.- Optoma HD6800, Onkyo 705, Toshiba A35, Oppo 971, Sony BDP-S350.

I'm in Coverdale also in a new development - Provinceton. After all the bugs were worked out, Optik TV works great.I have Telus internet and phone too.