Compressing video. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2012-02-24, 03:02 PM   #1
AndrewL.

Default Compressing video.

I'm looking for a video compressing program. Where do I download one from? Can I find a program where I could compress 2 hours of captured AVI video onto onto a DVD disc at HQ setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-24, 05:58 PM   #2
Jake

You most likely already have one. Windows Movie Maker is one. Also, what container do you want? AVI or VOB? Do you want MPEG-2, H264 etc? Do you want to play it on a DVD player?
Old 2012-02-24, 11:14 PM   #3
AndrewL.

I have Nero 10, but WMM is not installed on my computer. I have never tried to compress video before but thought video compression was something you had to download. Can you compress AVI video that much? I want the video saved as MPEG-2 or better yet, MPEG-4.

What's a container? AVI is what I'm trying to capture VHS videos as to minimize quality loss..
Old 2012-02-25, 03:53 AM   #4
Jake

WMM is part of Windows so if you don't have it you can download it from MS. WMM can also do the capture as well.

AVI is not the compression format. It is just the container that holds the compressed video and audio data.

Try Handbrake. It will create MP4 files from AVIs. For VHS the quality of the source will not be that good so the choice of codec will not result in a big change in quality. This assumes you have a high bitrate.

Here are some link to read regarding containers and codecs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tainer_formats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec
Old 2012-02-26, 08:58 AM   #5
DrakeMap
Rookie

DVD Shrink seems like it might be what you are looking for, it even works in tandem with Nero. Download it over at majorgeeks;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4020