Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2012-02-24, 12:23 PM   #376
themav54

Default DVS Issues after Firmware Update

I have noticed recently some of DVR recordings are getting split into 2 recordings. It will record the 1st minute and then it will start recording again but this time it will record the whole show. When I look at the 1 minute recording, it gives an error saying that this recording was interupted blah blah blah.

When this happens, I see the letters on the LED display of the pvr 'EAS' display briefly.

Is anyone else experienced this? This has started only recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-24, 12:37 PM   #377

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

This is likely happening on simsubbed channels - the PVR stops when the simsub takes over and then restarts. Simsub occurs when the US channels is overdubbed by the Canadian channel carrying the same programme. You can usually avoid this issue if you record the Canadian channel instead of the US channel, since you'll end up with the Canadian channel anyway. For example, record Global, CTV, etc instead of CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17715 Simsub and other definitions and acronyms

You may have a signal strength issue. Check your signal in the diagnostics or call Cogeco and have them check - they can do it remotely.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274
Old 2012-02-24, 04:01 PM   #378
Andicus

I'm seeing this as well. Happened the last two weeks on The Office.

I suspect it's as 57 says, due to simsub.

The problem with recording the Canadian feed is that The Office always has a small segment following the credits. By the time that airs, the Canadian feed has already switched, and you end up missing it. At least that's what I remember happening, although I've also extended my recording time, just in case.
Old 2012-02-25, 09:35 PM   #379
Goldberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by themav54 View Post
I have noticed recently some of DVR recordings are getting split into 2 recordings. It will record the 1st minute and then it will start recording again but this time it will record the whole show. When I look at the 1 minute recording, it gives an error saying that this recording was interupted blah blah blah.

When this happens, I see the letters on the LED display of the pvr 'EAS' display briefly.

Is anyone else experienced this? This has started only recently.
I was just going to post about this problem which has occurred since we returned from our 2 month winter break from the cold on Feb 16th.

Read that there were some software updates and I wonder if this is causing a problem.

Here is what happened yesterday. Started to watch a recording of Blue Bloods and got about 10 minutes in when it froze with a black screen. went to recordings and noticed that the recording we had set for a new episode of BB had started and showed 2 recordings one for a minute. Every time I tried to restart the recording we were watching it just went to a live channel (the last one we were watching).
We decided to watch something else. Later that night I tried re booting the PVR and noticed I was now able to watch the recording that froze and it played all the way through.
I have noticed this problem several times since we got back and in all cases it involved a recording that was in a folder (more than one recording for the name).
Not sure if this could be anything to do with the problem or just a coincidence but have changed the setting to remove folders.

Would sure be interesting to hear if others have experienced this and if so are they also using folders and whether involved a show with other recordings on the PVR of the same show.
Old 2012-03-02, 07:54 AM   #380
crockett18

Default skip forward

I may have missed this somewhere in this talk but. How do you skip ahead 30 seconds with the Pace DVR? Or is it not possible.
Old 2012-03-03, 04:05 PM   #381
Andicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett18 View Post
I may have missed this somewhere in this talk but. How do you skip ahead 30 seconds with the Pace DVR? Or is it not possible.
The button below the LAST button and beside the ON DEMAND button. It has an arrow above the button.
Old 2012-03-03, 05:05 PM   #382
Batgirl1979
Rookie

Was just wondering if any other Cogeco Pace customers were experiencing a weird issue with their RNG200N's. Whenever I record a program, it records it twice. One of the recording will be in it's entirety and the second one will be only 1 minute long. I contacted tech support and they had never heard of this happening but would forward it to someone and they would get back to me. We also did a factory reset of the box just for good measure. Now it only happens 50% of the time. This is more an annoyance as I have to delete the duplicate every time but it doesn't affect the first recording. I received a phone call today saying that I will have to exchange my Pace as their was no solution but at the Limeridge store they only have Motorola's. I told them I would just wait until they are in stock as I have stuff saved I have yet to watch.
Old 2012-03-03, 05:42 PM   #383

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Batgirl1979 I moved your post to the appropriate thread. Read post 376 onwards.
Old 2012-03-04, 08:23 AM   #384
james99

I'm also getting these 1 minute recordings. In addition, some of my 2 hour programs are chopped in half.

Both problems started a few weeks ago.
Old 2012-03-05, 09:56 AM   #385
Mikester

Quote:
received a phone call today saying that I will have to exchange my Pace as their was no solution but at the Limeridge store they only have Motorola's
Getting the same Pace box will not likely solve your problem, this has been happening to me as well (recordings split with the 1 min). Others have reported the same issue. This started happening when they updated the firmware at the beginning of Feb, this also has caused audio to default to PCM instead of Dolby Digital.

To me they have a wonky firmware that needs to be corrected, the audio issue is more of a problem for me. I am very surprised that Cogeco has not addressed this with a firmware fix, at the very least they could have rolled back the last version. This current version seems to have created more problems than it fixed.

My suggestion to all that are experiencing audio defaulting to PCM and having the recordings split to contact Cogeco and log the issue. Hopefully this will speed up the fix if they receive more complaints.
Old 2012-03-08, 06:34 PM   #386
crockett18

Default skip forwrd

I tried last night and that arrow button does nothing.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:14 AM   #387
Cody42
Rookie

I just came on here to post about this same issue. Glad I'm not alone.

Past few days I'd be watching a recording and all of a sudden the recording will turn off and go to live tv and "EAS" will flash once on the box. Weirdly enough it happened at 11:35pm two nights in a row. And yesterday it also started to split my recordings up. Some 1 minute in, and others half-way.
Then tonight I was in the kitchen making a snack and I heard the tv channel cutting out and sputtering. I walked in the living room and noticed an orange light. "Yay, firmware update" I thought. I unplugged the power for 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Big mistake. For 5 minutes it was stuck at "BOOT" and the box emitted a buzzing sound that went vrrrrrrr-eet. vrrrrrr-eet. on and on. After the longest 5 minutes of my life it finally booted up, and the dual tuner was gone, DVR was gone/disabled, and the orange light re-appeared a minute later. I decided to reboot again and the same thing happened. 5 minutes of vrrrrr-eet, eventual boot up, and missing features.

I've gotten fed up and left it alone. I dunno what to do.

Edit: Decided to do a re-activation on the box through Cogeco's website. No help. Same ol' vrrrrrr-eet action going on right now. I give up. Better be resolved by tonight. I have multiple recordings to be done on any given day.

This, after 4+ months dealing with a super-boosted signal that was clogging up my STB causing it to constantly freeze. Finally had a useful tech come out and discover an issue in the line affecting the whole street. Guess there aren't many Cogeco users on my street because no one else called about it.

Can't catch a break with Cogeco.

Last edited by Cody42; 2012-03-09 at 03:37 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 09:34 AM   #388
Ctaver

Thumbs up New Firmware Update-29.39

I noticed this morning that Cogeco did a Firmware update overnight from 28.79 to 29.39

I can also confirm that the HDMI Audio problem is Fixed
Old 2012-03-09, 12:52 PM   #389
james99

Glad the PCM issued is resolved, will test when I get home.

crockett18, what buttons are you hitting. The 5 minute forward/backward and 30 second/15 second back buttons (4 different) all work on the standard Atlas remote.
Old 2012-03-09, 02:26 PM   #390
jeffaustin90

Last night some of my recordings were split up into the 59-minute/1-minute issue some of you have had problems with. Parks and Rec at 8:30pm was fine, but then my shows from 9pm onward to midnight had the problem. Maybe it was the new firmware trying to push itself out? I'll check to see which version I now have later on tonight.