Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-17, 03:15 PM   #16
joebloggs13

Just wondering if anyone has any news on when the 32GB version of this tab will offered in Canada. BB has said they offer it, but there never appears to be any stock??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-17, 04:30 PM   #17
Classof83

You can buy a screen protector and a case online for under $20, which is what I did. Never buy these things from FS/BB... they gouge you, just like with HDMI cables.

I really like my tablet... I take it basically everywhere with me now. With the SlingPlayer app I can watch my satellite reciever wherever there is Internet access, and with the Pogoplug cloud app, I can access my countless video and audio files and stream them to the device as well. And in addition to these two great apps, the webcam app, the Tune-In Radio app, the Scanner Radio app, and Skype keep me entertained for hours on end!
Old 2012-02-13, 09:48 PM   #18
snfraser

Default firmware update

I've been wondering when to expect an update from Android 3.1. It seems my wifi only GTab is currently downloading the update package.

Cheers.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:03 PM   #19
Eluder

Thanks for the update, I'll have my sister check her Wifi model for the 3.2 update.
My Rogers 4G unit has had the update for a couple of months now IIRC.
Old 2012-02-21, 10:09 AM   #20
jshel101
Veteran

My mom just got this tablet the other day. I haven't had a chance to play with this yet as she live a fair distance from me. Anyway, she tried to connect to her wifi connection but was unable to do so. So she called Rogers to ask about this. They told her that she has to have a data plan in order to use her wifi. So she ended up getting a $25/month plan. I am sure this is not true, but since I don't know anything about the Tab, thought I would ask here if the Tab's wifi connection can be used without a data plan.
Old 2012-02-22, 10:50 PM   #21
Eluder

That's not true, that's disappointing that a rep would say crap like that.
Definitely don't need a data plan to get Wifi going on the tab.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:51 AM   #22
jshel101
Veteran

The unfortunate thing is she signed a year contract for the $25/month data, which gives her 3GB. She got the first 3 months free, but still a rip off.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:15 PM   #23
Eluder

Contract isn't a big deal though with today's rules, she can cancel for very little since she didn't get a discount on a device.
Old 2012-02-24, 10:36 PM   #24
DIGITALEight

You should be able to cancel a contact in the first month without penalty no?
Old 2012-02-25, 03:44 PM   #25
Eluder

You might be right, since there was no hardware purchased, should be easy to cancel it.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:14 AM   #26
rfielder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof83 View Post
You can buy a screen protector and a case online for under $20, which is what I did.
I am about to receive a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, courtesy of a Rogers deal.

Can you say where you found the case and screen protector?

Given the Gorilla Glass, do you think a screen protector will do any good? My iPhone 3Gs is almost three years old, and it's screen is still pretty much perfect.....

Quote:
I really like my tablet... I take it basically everywhere with me now. With the SlingPlayer app I can watch my satellite reciever wherever there is Internet access, and with the Pogoplug cloud app, I can access my countless video and audio files and stream them to the device as well. And in addition to these two great apps, the webcam app, the Tune-In Radio app, the Scanner Radio app, and Skype keep me entertained for hours on end!
Are you still using Pogoplug?

I understand there is an app to let you remote to a desktop/laptop. In fact, there are several, but one seemed to standout - Spashtop. Have you tried it?

Overall, reading the specs for the Galaxy 10.1, there are some surprises. For example, if I read the specs correctly, it will not accept a memory card of any kind?
Old 2012-04-17, 09:20 AM   #27
Classof83

I got the case and screen protector off the site that has the same name as a river in South America.

I do still use Pogoplug... very regularly, as well as the SlingPlayer app to watch TV. I haven't tried Snapshot though... I guess with Pogoplug, I really don't have to.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:39 AM   #28
rfielder
Veteran

Quote:
I got the case and screen protector off the site that has the same name as a river in South America.
Really? South America - I didn't know that! I always thought that NCIX was an acronym....

Quote:
I do still use Pogoplug... very regularly, as well as the SlingPlayer app to watch TV. I haven't tried Snapshot though... I guess with Pogoplug, I really don't have to.
Pogoplug is something I will look at - and see if it will install on my elcheapo far east 7" tablet.

What I am looking for are two things. First, access to my home desktop when I am away. Second, full remote desktop access to my DJ laptop when working. My DJ laptop as a 12.1" screen that also operates at 1280x800 resolution. If this works, it will be neat - see and control it from anyplace. I have a g Wifi access point in my rack, and an n access point from ASUS that can be swapped in.

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

Does the 16Gb version of the Galaxy 10.1 come with Bluetooth? I am finding conflicting statements about this, with some retailers saying that "Bluetooth is available".

Also, can the Galaxy 10.1 be upgrade to ICS?

Thanks!
Old 2012-04-17, 10:34 AM   #29
Classof83

Yes, I got it off the Canadian site too I believe, so free shipping. NCIX - Netlink Computer Inc.

Well, with Pogoplug, I don't see my desktop's files exactly. You have to transcode files over and store them on another hard drive, which I have in a Buffalo CloudStor unit. So while I have transferred a lot of the files on my desktop over, they end up being separate files, because they're optimized for playback on portable devices.

The 16GB does come with Bluetooth... I use Bluetooth headphones all the time. So when I'm watching things off the cloud, or slinging, I truly have a wireless connection all around!

I heard that they will be rolling out an upgrade to ICS in this quarter, or the next. But being on Rogers in Canada, it may be longer than that too.
Old 2012-04-17, 06:41 PM   #30
TorontoColin

You're allowed to say Amazon or Amazon Canada guys. You just can't say use the web link (the .com or .ca part) as they are commonly used by spammers with the affiliate programs.

If you have any questions about the policy check out the Member Feedback and Digital Forum Help Information forums.