TiVo software coming to Pace set-top boxes - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-25, 01:58 AM   #2
Ken H

For years, TiVo has been trying to develop a version of their software than runs on existing cable HD DVR's. It has been a huge flop because the average HD DVR from Motorola, Cisco (SA) or Pace simply doesn't have the computing power to handle the software that makes a TiVo, a TiVo.

The problem is the cost of an HD DVR that can run TiVo software properly. Will cable customers be willing to pay a premium just to get the TiVo experience? Typically the answer has been no, because the standard i-Guide works just fine for most people.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:09 AM   #3
Ken H

Another TiVo development is the culmination of an agreement with Comcast, the largest multichannel provider in the US with over 23 million subs. The agreement allows Comcast subs to buy at retail a TiVo Premier and Comcast will activate it for all subscribed channels as in the past, but also now with xfinity On Demand, PPV, and 'over-the-top' Internet content from Netflix, Hulu and other online providers.

TiVo also has similar agreements with other US and international cable providers, and will supply them with gateway devices and thin-client IP set-tops.

TiVo CEO Tom Rogers: "It's a way for multiple set-tops in a household to be served. It works with a core unit, a gateway unit, that allows for multiple streams to multiple television sets as part of a whole-home solution. It is something that we will deliver to a number of operators that will be looking for it in the middle of the year."
Old 2012-02-28, 01:31 AM   #4
bubbaspeed

I was reading that Charter Cable in the midwest US is planning on adding TiVo powered recorders soon...
Old 2012-02-28, 08:46 AM   #5
classicsat
Veteran

Beginning with the actual TiVo Premiere, a number of US cable providers (and Compton Cable in Uxbridge/Stouffville, I think), went with actual TiVo hardware, but slightly different software (or software plugins), to have a network cable VOD software, instead of Netflix et al.
Old 2012-03-03, 10:33 PM   #6
rickyb

I really hope Cogeco would start using one of these Pace/Tivo models. I'd definitely get one.
Old 2012-05-25, 06:55 PM   #7
ladybugblue

According to this press release the new Pace model XG1 will be launched in Canada but nothing is indicating which provider would be using it.

Quote:
The XG1 is currently launching and trialing with major U.S. cable operators and will be available in Latin America and Canada later this year.
http://www.pace.com/universal/news-e...video-gateway/