Advice on Kingston Ontario ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-01-29, 08:53 AM   #1
lima20

Default Advice on Kingston Ontario ?

Hi guys,

The time to make the move is getting closer. We will like to be in the west end just because everything is there ( box stores, grocery, shopping, closer to the GTA).

Need areas to look for newer built homes, good high schools and pre-schools, safer neighbourhoods

Someone sent me this info about Kingston from their personal perspective.

"Avoid the "twin oaks" and "sexton place" areas of Bayridge and Taylor Kidd blvd - avoid heaton road and pembridge cres north of Taylor Kidd blvd (south of taylor kidd blvd is fine) avoid boxwood and Lombardy unless he doesn't mind train tracks close by. Truedell and Lancaster elementary are two of the best west end schools and hard/impossible to get into unless u live in their catchment areas - there unfortunately is no map of catchment areas easily available online but I'm sure LDSB would have the info.

the older section of cataraqui woods is no good either - anything south of cataraqui woods drive - avoid. West end or east end are the safest areas."

Your thoughts please with some top high school recommendations for my would be grade 11'er

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-22, 11:12 AM   #2
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

It's been quite a while since I've been at School in Kingston.
So my information may be out of date.
You may need to speak with parents of kids now in school.

When I went to school in Kingston, mid to late 1980's, LCVI - Loyalist Collegiate and Vocational Institute - highschool - was EXCELLENT

They had both Academic and Trades / working classes / courses.
All the various programs, Technical, Arts, Sports, Computers, Drama, Accounting, Drafting, Electronics.
All the programs, Shop Classes, Automotive, Welding, Woodshop ...and at many different levels.

Great teachers - some of them former Queen's University Grads or Profs.

... I don't know now / today - It's been a while.

I'm talking Kingston subdivisions of: Calvin Park, Polson Park, Glenarden, Strathcona Park ... and maybe a few others nearby.

Near where Princess St (hwy 2) and Bath Rd (hwy 33) cross.
[actually, Princess St (hwy2) / Bath Rd (hwy 33) / Sir John A. Macdonald Blvd cross in a triangle around this area.]

This is not west end, but sort of west middle.

Easy enough access to hwy 401, via Sir John A. Macdonal Blvd.

Bus and Train stations near this part of town.

You're near the Kingston Shopping Centre around there - and there's lots of grocery stores and banks and various important things nearby - Like a major City bus transit hub.

These are older homes around there, but the location, I think, in Kingston, is excellent.

You're sort of near downtown too - and could take a bicycle into the downtown and the waterfront, easy enough during the better seasons.

This is possibly a highly sought after area to live ... I hear ... and house costs might be a little higher.

But anyway ... I may be a little prejudiced to this part of Kingston ... having grown up around there ...

But there is my take.

Research well.

Welcome to Kingston. It's beautiful - at least in the summer and fall !

P.S. Oh ya - you're sort of near St Lawrence College, and not too far from Queen's University either ... if that 11 th Grader decides to go furthur in their education - there in Kingston.