why is my local channel over-riding? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-19, 01:39 PM   #1
fastball59
Rookie

Default why is my local channel over-riding?

Wonder if anyone has an answer for this.
I have the Time Shift package as part of my Shaw choices. That should get me the Western/Eastern network affiliates at local time, correct?
Why is my local Global station's (CHFD Thunder Bay) programming being shown on Channel 87 (standard definition) which is listed as the CBS affiliate KREM, Seattle?
Yet, on the high-def channels - the Time Shift western CBS affiliate (channel 201) shows the programming is the actual CBS feed.

I called Shaw to answer that question last night...and they seemed not to be able to supply an answer.
fastball59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-19, 01:48 PM   #2
mike10

its called simsubbing

this is a good explanation on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution
mike10 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 02:57 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Search this forum for the term "simsub" and you'll find lots of previous threads on the topic. SD channels have been simsubbed for years since there is an OTA broadcaster in your area. HD channels are being simsubbed more and more since more OTA HD channels are now available. Pretty soon all HD channels will be simsubbed since they will cover the vast majority of Canada.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:21 PM   #4
royd785

That is why you don't need the Timeshift for $5 (or whatever price it is now) if you have the Best of HD. You get the Amer. eastern included. Got the Best of HD when it was $20, now it is $35 (with no added channels).
royd785 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 04:51 PM   #5
fastball59
Rookie

Timeshift didn't seem to have the Canadian channels, only the American networks.
The funny thing is that the high-def western CBS affiliate (KREM Spokane) was broadcasting one show...and the standard def CBS affiliate (same station) was playing the same thing that was playing on our Global station.
I get the whole simsub thing...but it seems odd that the two affiliates (same station) are broadcasting two different programs.
After an hour on the Concierge, they still don't have an answer why - other that they think someone left a switch on from the last sim-sub, and haven't switched it off yet.
fastball59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 07:15 PM   #6
Jason316

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd785 View Post
That is why you don't need the Timeshift for $5 (or whatever price it is now) if you have the Best of HD. You get the Amer. eastern included. Got the Best of HD when it was $20, now it is $35 (with no added channels).
i have HD Plus for $16,i get everything ,minus the 5 Bell channels, plus i get the premium hd channels Oasis, HDnet, DW. I also sub to timeshift for $3.95...i need my cdn timeshift channels

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-02-19 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Quote fixed
Jason316 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-20, 01:24 PM   #7
Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason316 View Post
i have HD Plus for $16,i get everything ,minus the 5 Bell channels, plus i get the premium hd channels Oasis, HDnet, DW. I also sub to timeshift for $3.95...i need my cdn timeshift channels
except digital basic is 39.95/month. so total is about 56/month. If you were lucky enough to get on the best of hd at 20. I think its 25.90 for personal tv plus 20 for hd plus. So 45.90? If you add in the 3 missing channels (dw, hdnet, oasis) for 3.95x3=11.85. Total was 57.75 for all the HD channels, which basically was a $1.75 increase from digital basic plus hd plus to personal tv plus best of hd. This netted 5 extra channels.

I thought it was a pretty good deal until they jacked it up to $35. It was excellent for those that got in before the increase. When people compare best of hd to hdplus I think they forget the base price of personal tv is $14 cheaper then digital basic.
Zod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-20, 03:39 PM   #8
downbeat

Default Closing thread

There are already existing threads to discuss simsubbing (within Shaw and as an industry phenomenon) and Shaw channel packaging, so this thread is closing.
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.