Thinking Fibe, Questions.. - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Fibe TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-21, 05:42 PM   #226
FlameMoth

Both receivers are connected directly to the modem. They use CAT5 (or coax). In my case, they reused the coax from my existing cable connection to connect the PVR to the modem, and CAT5 for the second receiver.

You can continue to use your existing wireless router connected to the modem and disable the built-in WiFi.

I don't see any difference in the functionality of the PVR and the second receiver, in terms of functionality or lag time.
FlameMoth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-21, 09:34 PM   #227
bh626pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameMoth View Post
Both receivers are connected directly to the modem. They use CAT5 (or coax). In my case, they reused the coax from my existing cable connection to connect the PVR to the modem, and CAT5 for the second receiver.

I don't see any difference in the functionality of the PVR and the second receiver, in terms of functionality or lag time.
Thanks. How many connectors are on the back of the 7130. Are there separate CAT5 connectors for TV and internet? ie: for 2 boxes I would need 2 RJ45 ports, thus how many would be left for wired internet?

In terms of the PVR location I wondered if the remote needed to control that box or does the 2nd box control the PVR itself?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't find a picture of the back of the 7130.
bh626pro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-22, 12:55 AM   #228
FlameMoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro View Post
Thanks. How many connectors are on the back of the 7130. Are there separate CAT5 connectors for TV and internet? ie: for 2 boxes I would need 2 RJ45 ports, thus how many would be left for wired internet?

In terms of the PVR location I wondered if the remote needed to control that box or does the 2nd box control the PVR itself?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't find a picture of the back of the 7130.
I'm not sure what the "7130" is, but the modem I received (and others who recently got Fibe) is a Sagemocom F@st 2864.

It's got 4 ethernet ports, 1 coax and 1 RJ11 phone jack.

I'm not sure about your remote question...both boxes in terms of functionality are the same. The each come with their own remote (which are identical). The 2nd box retrieves recorded TV shows from the PVR box seamlessly, as if they are recorded on itself.
FlameMoth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-23, 09:01 PM   #229
timberland29

Default 2 quick questions

2 quick questions for bell fibe tv subscribers.

1) how big is the hard drive on the main unit. How many gbs is it? I know it stores 200 hours of content.

2) what's the highest resolution of the hd programming is it 1080i or 720p?

Thanks in advance,
AK
timberland29 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-23, 10:48 PM   #230
nitra

1, 320gb, it is MPEG4 so that is quite a bit of storage.

I cannot answer #2
nitra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-23, 11:15 PM   #231
Dr.Dave

1. As nitra said, the drive is 320 GB. Fibe TV uses MPEG-4 compression which is more modern and efficient than MPEG-2 that Rogers uses. The rule of thumb is that MPEG-4 uses half the space of MPEG-2.

2. Bell currently uses 720p for HD. The STB can be set to display either 1080i or 720p.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-24, 12:36 AM   #232
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
1. As nitra said, the drive is 320 GB. Fibe TV uses MPEG-4 compression which is more modern and efficient than MPEG-2 that Rogers uses. The rule of thumb is that MPEG-4 uses half the space of MPEG-2.

2. Bell currently uses 720p for HD. The STB can be set to display either 1080i or 720p.
Thanks. I was wondering how it's 320gb but fits as much 100 hours in hd. When my Rogers is 500gb and only fits close to 60 hours. It all makes sense now.

Still trying to decide whether to switch from Rogers. My two main problems are:

1) can only record 4 shows at once (3 hd and 1 sd)

2) Internet speeds can go as low as 6mpbs when recording 4 shows at once.
timberland29 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-29, 11:35 AM   #233
brown

Default 2 question: FTTH and internet

Hey guys,

at a recent condo meeting the administration told us that Bell would be adding a box in the communications room (same place Videotron has their box) which will bring Fibe TV to us. Does having this box in the building make it FTTH or is it still FTTN as the signal still needs to get from the room in the garage to everyone in the condo. Also, we are 15 units in the complex - is that too high a number to split the signal and keep quality?

Second question is for those that have Fibe Internet, simply put are you happy with the speed and service?

I'm with Videotron for everything and am quite happy, but am looking for more English HD channels.

Appreciate any feedback.
brown is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-29, 12:33 PM   #234
nitra

Brown, I was with Videotron on 60/3 for the longest time, dropped to Fibe 16+ with the 7 meg speed upgrade. Overall it's solid, not as fast as Videotron 60 meg, but, for the price, I can wait a little longer on my downloads. The IP address changes about every 2 days, whereas with Videotron it changed once a year.

If you are using all the streams at once it can drop as low as 6 megs, but generally it's not a big deal, the internet works well, I've not seen any throttling at all either.

In terms of general internet, Bell is peered much better to the US and the EU, Videotron is peered much better within Canada, for me, the Bell peering is better for gaming. I also found with Videotron, when downloading from Europe there seemed to be limits on the thread speed, to about 500k/sec, on Bell I've not seen this.

The box coming to the condo will likely be FTTN, and copper will still go from there to your unit.
nitra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-31, 12:39 AM   #235
wzdj

Default 2 questions

First, tv volume is low through HDMI when i select Dolby Digital surround and how do i know the bell reciever is full volume since the tech configured the volume buttons to operate the TV.

Next, what is the resolution fibe Transmits, 720P or 1080I?

Next, this makes 3 questions. I'm not subscribed to channels so why do i have to go through them using the up and down channel buttons on the remote? How can i scroll through purchased channels only?

Thanks!
wzdj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-31, 12:42 PM   #236
Dr.Dave

1. You would have to change the remote to have the volume control the STB, make sure the volume is turned all the way up, then change it back to control the TV.

2. Fibe TV usually uses 720P, but the STB can be set to display 720P or 1080i. If you have a 1080 TV you can try both to see which gives you a better picture.

3. You can customize your channel list to remove channels you don't watch. BTW the Channel Up/Down buttons also work as Page Up/Down in list of programs.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-31, 05:20 PM   #237
wzdj

Thanks Dave, the STB vol goes max to 25 I found. Is that OK? 1080i looks better on my tv and i figured yesterday nite about the guide add/remove channels. I find some HD channels looking like SD compared to Videotron but the colors are alot better. The tech yesterday changed a jack for my phone and with the built in splice connector on the new jack went to an existing 25 year old phone jack that connects my Modem/STB. I asked him to change the old jack for the new one but he said he didn't have to. Should i do it myself? I'm not having problems but the image quality ( brightness mostly) does vary from time to time during yesterday and this afternoon and I do loose audio for a couple of seconds after changing channel but then it stays on for the duration. My desktop Wifi to the modem works fine.
wzdj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-05, 12:29 AM   #238
Vegas2012
Rookie

Default Thinking Of Switching From Bell TV

I have been a Bell TV subscrib er since 2000, I have 3 receivers, 2 that I use and one I had deactivated when I moved out 5 years ago to a new apartment and my roommate moved out west. So now my building landlord is saying all tenants with a satellite dish must remove it unless we get a report from Bell that says that the installation of the dishes do not affect the building's structure. Mine is on my balcony railing, there are about 25 in the two buildings. So I am wondering if FIBE TV is a good choice? Also what can I do with my receivers seen as i own them? Not sure if anyone will buy them.
Thanks
Vegas2012 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 06:11 PM   #239
Rich Chambers

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Default Fibe TV and Netflix

Hello all;

I'm considering switching to Fibe-TV from Bell satellite when it becomes available here in Oakville. There have been a lot of Bell trucks in the area over the past few months and I'm told it is very close.

I also like Netflix and the quality is outstanding. Right now I'm on Fibe12 and there are no streaming problems at all.

I'm curious as to what will happen with Fibe-TV. Obviously, if I'm watching Netflix, I'm not watching Fibe, but what if I am recording a number of TV programs? From what I understand, they would be using the bandwidth too.

Thougts? Warnings?

Thanks, Rich
Rich Chambers is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 09:25 PM   #240
Tanta

Rich, if you are getting fiber-to-the-home in Oakville, there will be no change in internet throughput, even with two tv's recording simultaneously. So Netflix should be very smooth. For fiber-to-the-node, distance to the node and 'local line management' becomes more important, so you might want to check with existing fibe subscribers in your neighbourhood.
Tanta is online now   Quick reply to this message

Tags
bell, ethernet, fibe, install, internet, modem, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.