Radio DXing, Tropo, Odd Reception, Weird Weather Effects - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2011-07-07, 05:58 PM   #76
BGY11
Veteran

Yup! 106.7MHz (Rock 106)) was the main station. Other ones were fairly weak on the phone but my Grundig G5 at home was pulling them in clearly (99.3 for example - though that had a slight bit of adjacent channel interference from CBC Radio One on 99.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-07-11, 12:09 AM   #77
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Default Sporadic-E Friday

Was on a recent visit to central Ontario.

On Friday, at 10:30am got on the palm sized HD Radio:

94.7 KTTS, a country station.

The RDS decoded it instantly. No HD was noted. In stereo, good sound too.

It lasted all of 30 seconds...

Radio was scanning and stopped on 94.7MHz.

Normally from that location, 94.7 MHz from Hamilton fades in and out just out of limiter sensitivity on the Grundig G8....

Nothing else noted during that time period with a scan from either the Insignia HD Radio or Grundig. Interesting....

Cameron
Old 2011-07-12, 01:05 PM   #78
CamDAB

Addendum: KTTS, Springfield Missouri. Found it on Wikipedia.

Still a good haul from central Ontario...

Cameron
Old 2011-07-15, 11:00 PM   #79
rob50312

Rochester FM stations coming strong tonight.92.5 WBEE completely taking out local 92.5 analog Toronto in Mississauga.Coming in HD1 and HD2 too.Short spacing poor regulation.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:19 AM   #80
va3saj

Hi Rob (and all):

Yeah, thanks to your note here I had a look. A nice FM-band opening to the west, I swung my Winegard HD8200 around and I'm getting signals out of Michigan I normally don't hear. WPHN The Promise FM from Gaylord, Michigan, for example. Thanks!

VA3SAJ
Old 2011-07-18, 06:50 PM   #81
Phycks

Scattered distant FM stations were coming in here in St. John's, Newfoundland, around mid-day today, each for a few seconds, up to about a half minute. Only once was I lucky enough to get a station ID: WBUR Boston on 90.9. This was just before 2 pm local time (12:30 EDT) on my car radio.
Old 2011-08-01, 03:06 AM   #82
dcorreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Rochester FM stations coming strong tonight.92.5 WBEE completely taking out local 92.5 analog Toronto in Mississauga.Coming in HD1 and HD2 too.Short spacing poor regulation.
Hi Rob,
I noticed this occuring during the day on the 30th while heading to MTL. WSEE-HD1 was taking over our local station while I was still within city limits. Is the station not protected from this kind of interference? It's impossible to listen to the station since I would need to unplug the HD Module in my car.
Old 2011-08-01, 03:34 AM   #83
BGY11
Veteran

I doubt there would be much that could be done to prevent interference due to tropo effects like this. If they accounted for what "could" happen due to this effect, I'm guessing the FM dial would be a lot less crowded than it is.
Old 2011-08-01, 09:25 AM   #84
CamDAB

This morning:
Had 100.3 from Ottawa.
100.9 "Canoe FM" from the Kawartha Lakes area.
Plus a good raft of others.

Yup, a good tropo event indeed.

Oh and KX-94.7 Country is not a tropo event... It's from Hamilton...

But that's another thread... :-)

Cameron
Old 2011-09-23, 08:47 AM   #85
doomy

Location: Oshawa, just off the 401, under a cellphone tower, in the shadow of the GM plant

Driving to work this morning, I caught WOWO 1190AM out of Fort Wayne, Indiana. They have the same voice announcing the station ID as 680 News in Toronto and 570 News in Kitchener does.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:21 PM   #86
kingborgie
Rookie

Wow. Lots of response. Just stumbled back across this. I did experience this again in August with clear reception on almost every fm frequency in my work vehicle. I can't remember the farthest this time though. I let lots of people in on it to experience it though. Everyone thought it was great. It lasted about 90 minutes. Also we only receive two fm channels normally and they fade in and out I am in Ponteix aka the middle of nowhere sk
Old 2011-11-25, 05:24 AM   #87
bentoronto

Does FM-HD reception quality change identically to regular FM-stereo reception quality with atmospheric conditions?

Toronto should be barely OK for WNED-Buffalo FM-stereo reception and beyond the limits for FM-HD. Their FM antenna is 20 miles south of Buffalo while their TV antenna is 20 miles closer!

My super-duper Sony FM-HD tuner can lock onto FM-HD on the occasional favourable evening but rarely strongly or without some switching in and out which makes the station kind of unlistenable because the Sony has no HD-defeat switch. I use an antenna attenuator to "switch" back to full-time FM-stereo - a very lousy solution, eh. Major PIA, pending further antenna enhancements.

Thanks.
Ben

Last edited by 57; 2011-11-26 at 09:52 AM. Reason: One Line
Old 2012-02-19, 11:05 AM   #88
mark1f
Rookie

Smile Digital Forum > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio an

This sounds amazing, but it's true, Have a GE distant tuning am radio,

from near wpg I have listened to am radio from

Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, New York city, Philadelphia, New Orleans, St. Louis, (regularly) Kentucky, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit (regularly) Chicago, (720 wgn, 780 wbbm, 890 wls, and one other, regularly, at night, Detroit, 760 many nights

Minneapolis , AM 1500 KSTP and 830 WCCO fairly well at night,

Omaha, south dakota, four north dakota stations,
Oklahoma, little rock arkansas, Denver very strong at night 850 KOA, once in a while Montana,

regina 620 am,, and CBC, Calgary and Edmonton, Vancouver (rarely) and even once Los Angeles.

New Orleans quite weak, is the most unusual, football, fishing shows, and strong accents.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:05 PM   #89
querty-m4n

Around midnight of July 19 2012, I got some NPR on 88.7, Q Country 92.5, another country station on 92.9, two Spanish language stations.

More FM @ 98.9 serving Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. Furthest station to the south, came in strong.

This was all on my Onkyo HT receiver.
Old 2012-07-19, 05:17 PM   #90
Shootmaster_44

Perhaps this is no big feat, but it seemed unusual to me. I was able to listen to 630 AM CHED from Edmonton all the way from Lloydminster to Saskatoon on my Jeep's stock radio. Generally, CHED fades out about North Battleford (roughly half way to Saskatoon), but last Friday I had no issues the whole way.

It was nice since generally, most of the drive is radio dead zone aside from the odd North Battleford stations that you can get most of the way. I was able to listen to the Eskimos game most of the way.

The one station I can always pick up no problem (being in Lloydminster, Saskatoon or from Saskatoon to Regina), but have no idea where I am getting it from (nor do I care to listen for long) is 570 AM and it carried what sounds like televangelist religious shows. Any ideas what I might listen to?

I always loved sitting in the car as a kid fiddling with the car radio trying to find hockey games or baseball games from far off places. The best was during the 1996 NCAA Men's basketball tournament. I was supposed to be in bed, but I hooked up a pair of headphones and fiddled with the radio until I found the Princeton/UCLA game. It came in clear as day on a Seattle based radio station.