Galaxy Nexus Reviews - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-02, 03:03 AM   #46
rsambuca
Veteran

Actually, only the yakju firmware versions are updated directly by Google. The yakjuux firmware is region/carrier specific, and will be sent out from either Samsung or your carrier.

Personally, one of the reasons I purchased an original Nexus One was for quick updates, so when I get a Galaxy Nexus, I will be flashing it to the Google yakju version.
rsambuca is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-02, 03:32 AM   #47
TorontoColin

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I'd wait until an update is released, and then simply flash the official Google release.
Old 2012-02-03, 01:12 PM   #48
WarrenC12

I also have the yakjuux, not updated by Google. Doh!
WarrenC12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-07, 08:01 PM   #49
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

I wonder what is actually different in the carrier specific version (I mean whether they have extra hooks in there)?
North_of_Calgary is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-11, 02:38 PM   #50
rsambuca
Veteran

Well, after using this phone for about 3 months, I really wish I bought something else.

Problems:

1. Glass is really soft. I had my Nexus One for 2 years, and never had so much as a mark on the screen. In three months with this piece of crap, and there are a bajillion tiny micro scratches all over the screen. Right now you can only see them when the screen is black and from certain angles, but they are getting worse and worse. I have always hated screen protectors (and never needed one before), but I may have to break down and get one. The curved screen is just a useless gimmick that prevents Samsung from using the much more scratch resistent Gorilla Glass. Terrible quality.

2. About 3 times per week, when I get up in the morning the phone has lost connection to the network, and I have to either boot in recovery mode, or sometimes just pull the battery and sim card, reboot and pray that it can connect again. It is not a network or sim card problem, because when it happens, I can still connect with my N!. This is a huge problem for me.

3. It is possible that some connection problems are associated with this version of the firmware, according to a few reports on the net. Unfortunately, Samsung is still holding the Canadian versions of the Galaxy Nexus at 4.0.1. Some people are reporting that connection problems have been fixed with the newer versions. Now I have to scour the net to figure out how to install the yakju firmware so I get updates. The reason I wanted the Nexus line in the first place is so I didn't have to waste my time with this stuff. Grrrr.

HTC for the win next phone.
rsambuca is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-11, 06:54 PM   #51
Veee

I've had mine since February and I don't have those issues. I keep the phone in a pouch when I'm not using it and the glass is still like new. I don't have any connectivity problems either since it was updated to 4.02.
Veee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-11, 07:32 PM   #52
redzone

just flash yajkuu it will solve your problems other then the screen.

i have a scratch too after 2 months of ownership.

still think its the best phone out next to the one X

need to get a screen protector i guess. was hopeing to avoid it. luckly the scratch for me is not on the lit portion of the front glass.
redzone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-12, 02:01 AM   #53
TorontoColin

I haven't had any issues with the screen, but I'm extremely careful. I don't use a screen protector, but I always keep it in a pocket by itself.

My Galaxy Nexus is running yakjuu, and I did have that connection issue until the second 4.0.4 update. I'd recommend flashing the yakjuu build to get the updates promptly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.