CTV, CTV2 & PVRs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-06, 10:34 PM   #1
BGY11
Veteran

Default CTV, CTV2 & PVRs

While there have been numerous threads about situations where PVRs have recorded the wrong show due to wrong info in the guide, or a last-minute switch-up by the broadcaster, there is something else I've started to notice: swapping shows between multiple channels.

Specifically, I see this with CTV and CTV2. Tonight Castle is on CTV2 because they're running Smash & The Voice, yet usually Castle has been on CTV. It's even worse when shows like American Idol run one night on CTV, and the next night on CTV2. To make things even worse, PVRs aren't generally smart enough to realize this, as you generally set them to record a show on one channel (even in a so-called "Series" recording. I don't see an option to record a show no matter what channel on my Optik TV PVR, and I don't believe Shaw's units can do it either (though I could be wrong).

I do realize the quick fix is to set my shows to record on the American networks, but that's simply a workaround to a problem that should not exist in the first place. I think that CTV should decide what shows get aired on CTV, and what ones air on CTV2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-07, 12:16 PM   #2
whitbyterry

I agree, this is becoming worse. CITY/OMNI are doing the same thing. You have to really pay attention and check your recording schedule each week. Recording the US channel has its own issues such as incorrect simsubs and losing the ends of shows because the Canadian network runs late and the simsub ends or switches to another channel for the next simsub. Frustrating. One reason why subscribing to a show on Apple TV, etc is more attractive now.
Old 2012-02-07, 01:20 PM   #3
BGY11
Veteran

Given that I'm already paying too much for television, the idea of me missing shows because I can't keep up with what channel airs a program each week really bugs me. I went and got Optik TV because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of torrents - but it seems going with something like Apple TV may end up being the way to go if this keeps up.
Old 2012-02-07, 02:38 PM   #4
Reflection

I think it's ridiculous that CTV is allowed to have a second channel just so they can simsub more American content.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:11 PM   #5
rsambuca
Veteran

It is a bigger joke in Alberta. We can't even get CTV2 in HD, and no OTA signal. I actually wrote to CTV in the fall to complain about these silly issues. ie. Watch the performance show of American Idol on CTV, and then can't watch the results the next night, because I don't get CTV2. Never received a response from the network, of course.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:15 PM   #6
talljak

rsambuca:
You can not get CTV2 in HD in Alberta? I am in Edmonton and I get CTV2 in HD since Jan 31
Old 2012-02-07, 04:50 PM   #7
Schmerpy

OTA viewers don't even have access to CTV2 in Toronto, so we have the same joke here.

Theoretically, it's broadcast out of Barrie and is supposed to reach us, but they bungled the HD transition and went to a low power VHF frequency, so it's not receivable here.

I just ignore CTV/CTV2 and watch the US networks instead where I don't have these hassles.

I'm surprised CTV advertisers don't complain about their antics, because it loses viewers for those advertisements.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:08 PM   #8
rsambuca
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by talljak View Post
rsambuca:
You can not get CTV2 in HD in Alberta? I am in Edmonton and I get CTV2 in HD since Jan 31
Not that I am aware of. Definitely no OTA at all, and with shaw, only in SD. Not sure about Telus, Bell, or Shaw Direct. I am trying to make the switch to OTA, so this is a relatively important issue to me - show it or don't show it, just please don't switch back and forth.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:30 PM   #9
BGY11
Veteran

That's a good point if CTV2 isn't available OTA or on some providers. Almost wonder if a complaint should be lodged, and if so, then who? It isn't fair that some should be left out of catching all episodes of a show. I do have it on Optik TV here in Calgary but obviously not everyone does.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:44 PM   #10
Michael DeAbreu

Same in Vancouver. So, I missed Castle because I told Windows Media Center to only record CTV (32.1) CTV2 is a lower power transmitter which shows a lot of pixellation artifacts.

I usually specify a channel to avoid picking up SD broadcasts on American channels or accidentally tuning a really marginal station

Also when CTV2 broadcasts repeats of Law and Order from a few seasons ago, the Guide info doesn't flag it as a repeat so it gets taped as a "new" show.

So now I'm back to recording 'new", "all channels", "HD preferred" and cleaning up my Recorded TV folder
Old 2012-02-07, 09:01 PM   #11
TechieFreak

Default They also swapped out Two and Half Men.

Two and Half Men was put on CTV2 last night, and my HTPC didn't record it. Windows Media Center was expecting it on CTV. Would complaining to CTV make an impact? Or would they just mark this as another whiny "customer"?
Old 2012-02-07, 09:09 PM   #12
talljak

I dont use OTA but I get CTV2 in HD on Shaw in Edmonton CH 216
Old 2012-02-07, 09:21 PM   #13
whitbyterry

It never hurts to complain but do not expect a response.
Old 2012-02-08, 09:43 AM   #14
rsambuca
Veteran

Ah, thanks Talljack, I stand corrected. CTV2 is now available in HD on Shaw here in Calgary. Still doesn't help us OTA geeks though.
Old 2012-02-08, 09:48 AM   #15
cm3020prob

The whole CTV+CTV2 network schedules are based on maximum simsub opportunities from a Toronto-centric point of view, regardless of the viewer, their location, and show continuity. They kinda expect you to find your american network on the cable/satellite dial to be CTV-simsubbed.

Remember the february 2010 Olympics? CTV dumped all shows to /A\ for two weeks. If you were a fan of "Lost" TV series, you probably never seen 6x03 and 6x04, but CTV was there to simsub 6x05. And sometime after that, the remaining of the Lost season was dumped to /A\.

May 3, 2010, CTV brings Castle from /A\ for their remaining 3 episodes, with the strong argument that Nathan Fillion is a Canadian from Edmonton, blah blah blah, dumping CSI:Miami to already competitive monday 8pm slot, before dumping the show entirely on /A\ in the fall 2010, which switched to sundays by CBS.

If I check past TV listings, Two and a Half Men was already on CTV Two last fall while CTV was simsubbing Dancing With the Stars on ABC. When the Stars ended on Nov 22nd 2011, the Half Men was moved to CTV for december and january while CTV Two had a movie scheduled. Now that CTV can simsub The Voice and newcomer Smash post-Superbowl, why not dump again the Half Men and Castle to CTV Two ?

It's nearly impossible to receive ABC Vermont from Montreal OTA, so those who were following Castle have just been shown the middle finger by CFCF, whose hands are tied by Toronto management.