FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-12, 09:40 AM   #256
dirtroad

It certainly was a great idea, and lots of hype from the start, but I really don't see it happening anytime soon, if at all.

For instance if you search `FreeHD Canada Facebook`
Quote:
FreeHD Canada
The deadline is now over for submitting your comments to the CRTC in support of the FreeHD Canada application. Thank you to everyone who responded for your support. We will keep you posted on our progress an please keep letting us know your thoughts on what you want your new TV experience to be with FreeHD Canada.
Like · Comment · 13 November 2009 at 06:32
you can see it will be exactly 2 years tomorrow since their last entry. Can you just imagine what Customer Service will be like! Nothing for Shaw Direct or Bell TV to worry about.
.....But Alpha Star might be looking for company!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-06, 07:47 PM   #257
katburglars
Rookie

Default here is the latest!

c/p from my email correspondence to them...to all concerned
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

in your initial application to the CRTC your company stated that you would offer locals (approx. 15-18 channels) at NO COST providing I purchased a set-top rec and dish to provide the locals we (consumers) lost due to the digital switch...your company went at great lengths to make sure this was going to be the start and then offer the packages (specialty channels) to those who needed/wanted more

how is it that you can retract from this and no longer have this in your plans?

do you not realize how that feels? and how bloody awful these digital boxes with lousy antennas are to get our locals, now?

and should I complain to the CRTC about this empty promise your company made back in '08? to me that is no right. Pls tell me this is not so and just a rumour? - though your website has NO indicators either way - and/or offer a complete explanation as to why this is no longer in your start-up, plans? much appreciated.

regards,
concerned consumer
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello RD.

Thanks for your note.

While we are silent on this now, we have not ruled it out. For competitive reasons, we are withholding most product information until launch or sooner if we have a need to release it.

Since our original application, many things have changed on the business development front and we are currently re-assessing all our options for providing a widely attractive service. A Free Pack continues to be viewed as a possible offering along with several other options.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sincerely,
BluSky HDTV
---------------------------------------------------------------------

can only hope...cheers
Old 2012-02-06, 07:57 PM   #258
Bent
Veteran

Please don't hold the shifting landscape that blusky is trying to set up shop on against blusky themselves. The other big players are pulling the strings - they are the reason for the delays in the first place.
Old 2012-02-06, 08:19 PM   #259
katburglars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Please don't hold the shifting landscape that blusky is trying to set up shop on against blusky themselves. The other big players are pulling the strings - they are the reason for the delays in the first place.
perhaps..but i read a whole lot of their application of back in 08 and even with the strong opposition, it appeared they had their own platform no matter what...now, some of the opposing players deff are still trying to push their weight but highly doubt that is the reason for this long awaited (delayed) launch though CBC seams to be involved

..i think its mostly to do with freeHDTV/ blusky who is playing coy...wonder what CRTC would say IF these bozos failed to offer the FREE locals, as was promised at the outset of their app. ? i am tempted..cuz if they fall short of this promise? well good luck with the rest of it. imho
Old 2012-03-09, 12:58 PM   #260
BKman74

No offense, but there site looks like some site that you can get a virus or spyware from. Hopefully, they get somebody else to work on there site to make it look good.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:00 PM   #261
BKman74

Not only that, but what's funny is on google, i searched there andress, and there in a mini-mall where there's a shoppers drug mart. LOL!
Old 2012-04-28, 02:51 PM   #262
cyclist44

Default What's The Latest on BluSky

Has anybody heard the latest on BluSky? There webpage still says Summer 2012. Its getting to be almost that time now. Anybody heard any roomers. I am really getting tired of Bell TV. I would to have another option to at least consider.

Last edited by cyclist44; 2012-04-28 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 2012-04-28, 07:26 PM   #263
NovaMan

By just being in the game, BluSky will force Shaw and Bell to make major changes or lose customers to this innovative new company. I have been watching the development of "FreeHD" for some time. They have satellites in place for next summer according to "The Wire Report". ( I believe the link is already on here, if not I can post it.)

I like the attitude of BlueSky also. Look at this claim on their website.

"It gets better. We have a lot more to offer consumers, which will have to wait until summer 2012 to announce. We're preparing for launch as fast as we can, however we are always listening to Canadians who expect better choices, better customer service and overall better value. There will always be room for improvement. We appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions and ask that you send them."

More competition in satellite TV can only be good for we the customers. I hope BlueSky launches on time this summer (2012) and I for one will be cheering them on, and possibly changing providers, unless Shaw is able to match BlueSky's features and prices. I can't wait to see what they will be offering!
Old 2012-04-28, 09:14 PM   #264
scrooloose
Veteran

You have a lot faith in a company with nothing more than a $10 web site.

-Mike
Old 2012-04-29, 11:04 AM   #265
grog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKman74 View Post
Not only that, but what's funny is on google, i searched there andress, and there in a mini-mall where there's a shoppers drug mart. LOL!
They aren't just in the same strip mall as the Shoppers Drug Mart, they are in the Shoppers Drug Mart. Their office is simply a PO box rental.

I would love to see some real competition in the satellite TV space as much as the next guy but I'm very skeptical we'll ever see BluSky launch, and if we do it will be a lot later than summer 2012 (let's not forget the original launch was "early 2011").

I suspect all BluSky is at this point is one man's idea and he's trying to secure funding to take it further. Have a look at the CRTC license award from February 2010:

Quote:
FreeHD is owned and controlled by Mr. David Lewis who holds 91% of the voting interests. The remaining 9% is held by Mrs. Krista Lewis.
So the company is PO box 100% owned by one man and his wife (I'm guessing it's his wife but it's obviously a relative at the very least). Sure, they got a license, but they say David Lewis has 25 years of experience in the industry and I imagine the process isn't much more than a bunch of paperwork. If he knows the industry well it's probably something he was able to do himself.

Again, don't me wrong - I would love to see some more competition but I just don't think BluSky is anywhere near being that competitor, despite their claims of a summer 2012 launch.
Old 2012-04-29, 12:40 PM   #266
jsebean

I'm really hoping you're wrong because I'm eager to see what they offer.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-29 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2012-04-29, 01:10 PM   #267
ScaryBob
Veteran

I've seen some good companies launched and owned by one or two people. However, the delays don't look good. We should have at least seen some promotional advertising for the Summer launch.
Old 2012-05-01, 02:37 AM   #268
Ken H

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMan
They have satellites in place for next summer according to "The Wire Report". ( I believe the link is already on here, if not I can post it.)
Yes, please do.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:43 PM   #269
NovaMan

As requested, here is the link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...lient=firefox-

BluSky " is on track to launch a new satellite broadcasting distribution service in Canada in 2012, after securing an agreement to use foreign satellite facilities, company chairman and founding CEO, David Lewis, said in an exclusive interview with The Wire Report this week."
Old 2012-05-03, 03:50 PM   #270
MaxHeadroom

At best, this will be a huge bomb into the camps of each of the "big three" BDUs.

Most likely, this won't go anywhere.

At worst, this will quickly ramp up and fizzle out like ones before it, leaving customers with useless doorstop STBs.